Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He played India in 5 series.Exaggerated version of a plethora of reasons used to excuse Warne's performances vs India on here. Bad form/injury/recovering from injury/divorce etc. etc. Basically he never played India at 100%.
1) 1991/92 in his rookie series when he was very green. He got schooled by Shastri in particular in those tests.
2) 1997/98 - the final series before his shoulder surgery. He shouldn't have played this series his shoulder was terrible at this point. It took him a year after the surgery before he was able to bowl again at all.
3) 1999/00 was the series after he was dropped in the West Indies for being in the worst form of his career, having come back from shoulder surgery prematurely (he basically had to learn how to bowl again after the surgery)
4) 2000/01 was still during this the year period of his career when he was battle injury. He also averaged over 70 against New Zealand a year later.
5) 2004 where he was actually in his late career peak and he averaged 30 in that series and missed the best pitch for spin in the series due to injury.
During that 1998-2002 period Warne averaged 34 (30 without the India matches), well above his career average. It just happened that almost all of his games against India (3 out of 5 series or 9/14 total tests) came during this period. The 2004 series was much more representative of his actual abilities than any of the other series.
It's a shame he was banned for the 03/04 India series as I think that would have been a good contest.
Edit: for the sake of comparison, the era in which Warne played his middle 3 series against India (1998-2002) he took 127 wickets at an average of 34 in 34 tests (3.7 wpm). Outside this period he took 581 wickets in 111 tests at an average of 24 (5.2 wpm).