• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All-Time World Twenty20 XI

OMM!

U19 12th Man
Twenty20 is now 8 years old. But what is the greatest T20 XI?

We all have discussions about the Greatest Test XI or England's Greatest Test XI, but what about an All-Time World Twenty20 XI?

M.Trescothick
C.Gayle
K.Pietersen
B.Hodge
MS Dhoni(wk)
S.Afridi
K.Pollard
A.Hollioake(c)
L.Malinga
R.Sidebottom
A.Mendis

10 Other notable names who just missed out:

E.Morgan, A.Symonds, B.McCullum, A.Thomas, M.Muralitharan, Y.Singh, S.Ajmal, I.Harvey, T.Dilshan and U.Gul.

Any major names I've crazily missed out on?!

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Why has Gul been missed out. He is arguably the greatest T20 bowler. His T20I stats are better than sidebottoms.

Adam Hollyoake has never played an International T20, so why is he in the team. Similarly brad Hodge has only played 8 International T20s.

OMM!

U19 12th Man
I didn't say it was a T20 International team. Just T20 in general. There hasn't been enough T20 International cricket yet!

I was split between Gul and Sidebottom. But I wanted an opening bowler, with Malinga as my DEATH man!

And Siders was the best opening bowler at the last World T20 by a mile. Main reason England won it!

OMM!

U19 12th Man
Unfortunately none of those gents played Twenty20!

So aren't under consideration.

Bradman, by all accounts, wasn't too good at lofting it over the infield, so probably would have been exposed by the likes of Lasith Malinga!

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Malinga makes every other T20 bowler look kinda inadequate. Him and Gayle are the only real shoo-ins imo, beyond that you can make a case for all kinds of players.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
While it's true that Bradman seldom did hit the ball in the air, the man who once scored a century in three overs certainly could - he'd have been every bit as effective at T20 as he was at the First Class game

Jacknife

International Captain
Malinga makes every other T20 bowler look kinda inadequate. Him and Gayle are the only real shoo-ins imo, beyond that you can make a case for all kinds of players.
I'd add KP and Swann to the list as well personally.

Oh it's all time, **** knows then.

Jacknife

International Captain
KP and Swann? I think you need to remove the England-coloured glasses mate :p
I think you need to read what I put underneath mate but saying that KP's not a bad shout at all, he averages 4 points more and has the same S/R as Gayle.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd probably pick KP. It was just funny to hear you suggest that the four auto-picks for an all-time XI are Gayle, Malinga, Swann and KP. Two of these things are not like the other two.

Jacknife

International Captain
I'd probably pick KP. It was just funny to hear you suggest that the four auto-picks for an all-time XI are Gayle, Malinga, Swann and KP. Two of these things are not like the other two.
Like I said, I didn't read the topic properly and thought it was present day not all time.

Jacknife

International Captain
You would imagine Joel Garner would of been a nightmare to play in this format, with his obvious pace and bounce but also he was meant to have the best yorker in the business.

sumantra

U19 Cricketer
While it's true that Bradman seldom did hit the ball in the air, the man who once scored a century in three overs certainly could - he'd have been every bit as effective at T20 as he was at the First Class game
always believed a great player is a great player is a great player...no matter the format...and no doubt the greats of the past would have been able to play T20 pretty well...but, sorry for my ignorance, bradman scored a century in 3 overs? the only way that's possible is hitting 17 sixes in 18 balls!!! did he do that? :-O

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
always believed a great player is a great player is a great player...no matter the format...and no doubt the greats of the past would have been able to play T20 pretty well...but, sorry for my ignorance, bradman scored a century in 3 overs? the only way that's possible is hitting 17 sixes in 18 balls!!! did he do that? :-O
8 ball overs I think - I will dig up the story for you - hang on.

Don Bradman once scored 100 runs in 3 overs. The match was played in the Blue Mountains town of Blackheath between Blackheath and Lithgow to commemorate the opening of their concrete wicket. Bradman and his New South Wales team-mate O.Wendell Bill were guests in the Blackheath Team. The game was played in December 1931 and Bradman made 256 comprising 14 sixes & 29 fours. Midway through the innings he walked down to Wendell Bill (his batting partner) and said ‘I think I’ll have a go’.
Over the next three overs his scoring shots were;

1st Over; 66424461 (33)
2nd Over 64466464 (40)
3rd Over 16611446 (27) & 2 to Wendell Bill.

Wendell Bill scored singles on the first & fifth balls of the 3rd Over. At the time 8-ball overs were the convention.

Bradman later wrote;

‘It is important I think to emphasise that the thing was not planned. It happened purely by accident and everyone was surprised at the outcome, none more so than I.’
http://www.bradmantrail.com.au/funfact_8.php

I have read a longer account about the bowler's reaction to the hammering - which I can't recall now.

Edit - just noticed it was a concrete wicket.

Last edited: