• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All time England Draft

91Jmay

International Coach
Nah something odd happened where my post has appeared in front of his. I thought he'd picked Jack Russell the keeper who'd already gone but he has picked some dead bloke.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ben Stokes

Cyril Washbrook
Arthur Shrewsbury
David Gower
Denis Compton
Frank Woolley (c)
Ben Stokes
-
Gubby Allen
Fred Trueman
Simon Jones
JJ Ferris

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Aldo and pothas have timed out again so I'll pick James Foster to finish this mess.

Cyril Washbrook
Arthur Shrewsbury
David Gower
Denis Compton
Frank Woolley (c) (5)
Ben Stokes (6)
James Foster (wk)
Gubby Allen (3)
Simon Jones (4)
Fred Trueman (1)
JJ Ferris (2)

Last edited:

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Round 11:

Prince EWS
jimmy101
mr_mister
pothas
ZinZan
The Battlers Prince
AldoRaine
KingKallis
OverratedSanity
91jmay
morgieb
Howe_zat

91Jmay

International Coach
1. Alec Stewart
2. Marcus Trescothick
3. Johnny Tyldesley
4. Kevin Pietersen
5. C.B Fry
6. Basil D'Oliveira
7. Billy Barnes
8. Chris Old
9. Johnny Wardle
10. James Anderson
11. Sydney Barnes

Not totally sure I've got the balance. Going back and forth on whether getting another batsmen would shore up team but then thought realistically Fry/Dolly were never known for bowling more than useful part time stuff so them as my 5th bowler could get me in trouble a bit. Especially on Day 1/2. Fry probably a little bit more than part time but my impression is that he was a batsmen first and foremost.

In the end went for a good bowler who could bat a bit to reduce the length of the tail a little bit.

mr_mister

So people seem just to be picking whoever. Honestly at this point I'm fine with that. So yeah, round 11 is a free-for-all

mr_mister

Len Hutton
Geoff Boycott
Robin Smith
CAG Russell
Patsy Hendren
Tony Grieg * (4)
Andrew Flintoff (2)
Chris Read +
Dean Headley (3)
Tich Freeman (5)
Angus Fraser (1)

Happy enough. Looking back I should have really raced to find an absolute ATG pace bowler but I was focused on a super strong batting line-up. Still, Fraser took 200+ wickets @ 27 and Flintoff and Greig certainly had their moments with the ball, as did Headley in his brief career. I don't know much about Tich Freeman but I know he's rated highly here

Howe_zat

Audio File
1. Mike Atherton
2. Andrew Stoddart*
3. Joe Root
4. Stanley Jackson
5. Paul Collingwood
6. Les Ames+
7. Allan Steel
8. Dominic Cork
9. Jim Laker
10. Darren Gough
11. Bill Bowes

Last edited:

Zinzan

Jim Parks

Bangers & Mash XI

1. Chris Broad
2. Dennis Amiss
3. Ian Bell
4. Ken Barrington
5. Derek Randall
6. Trevor Bailey
7. Jim Parks +
8. Chris Woakes
9. Tony Lock
10. Andy Caddick
11. Brian Statham

Will confirm my skipper shortly...

91Jmay

International Coach
Fry is my captain.

Who is everyone's favourite pick they made? Mine is either Fry or Tyldesley. The latter a criminally underrated batsmen, so probably him.

morgieb

1. Peter Richardson
2. Tom Hayward (6)
3. Eddie Paynter
4. Peter May
5. Douglas Jardine *
6. Alan Knott +
7. Walter Robins (4)
8. Ray Illingworth (5)
9. Frank Tyson (1)
10. Tom Richardson (2)
11. Ken Higgs (3)

Not the greatest, but the middle order looks strong, as does the seam attack. Having 3 top-tier England captains is an advantage too.

mr_mister

Fry is my captain.

Who is everyone's favourite pick they made? Mine is either Fry or Tyldesley. The latter a criminally underrated batsmen, so probably him.
I guess using your logic, Patsy Hendren. Seemed to get him pretty late and the person after me tried to pick him as well which makes me think he was in hot demand. Annoyed I took Read over Jim Parks, must confess I knew little about Parks but he certainly seems like a better option than Read

91Jmay

International Coach
Yeah I kind of meant a later 'value' pick.

I regret Wardle over Swann in a big way. Can't believe I missed out on him.

Really enjoyed the draft, know it was ****ed up at various stages but still fun trying to build a team across the eras. Think I hit most decades since the start as well which is cool.

Zinzan

I guess using your logic, Patsy Hendren. Seemed to get him pretty late and the person after me tried to pick him as well which makes me think he was in hot demand. Annoyed I took Read over Jim Parks, must confess I knew little about Parks but he certainly seems like a better option than Read
Yeah, must admit I was stoked to see Parks still available on my last pick, especially as I really wanted a decent batting keeper to bat at 7 ahead of Woakes. I thought I'd made a bad decision taking Randall instead of Jack Russell in round 10, but in hindsight I think I'm happier with Parks.

91Jmay

International Coach
I was considering Parks the round before to take the pressure off Stewie, really great value pick.

OverratedSanity

Fry is my captain.

I was pretty pleased I got Cyril Washbrook as late as I did. JJ Ferris was my favorite pick though,since he played all but one of his tests for Australia :p