• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All time Asian-XI

Silver Line

U19 Debutant
your points system underrates strike rate if so, Gilchrist had a much better one compared to most openers of his time and among equals he had the slight average lead over Sanath while being more aggressive and Sehwag is the other close. only McCullum had a better strike rate and average but his sample size was smaller, he started his career later like Sehwag and he benefitted from a period of adjustment to odis in another position before opening

Gilchrist in odis is rated very highly for a reason
I did account SR in my points system, the weightage was where I had to use instincts for. I gave 71% weightage to average and 29% to SR in ODIs. Unless you think the weightage numbers need to be adjusted?

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I did account SR in my points system, the weightage was where I had to use instincts for. I gave 71% weightage to average and 29% to SR in ODIs. Unless you think the weightage numbers need to be adjusted?
It depends on era.

Gilchrist's av and s/r as an opener were 36.5 and 98. Those are amazing stats for that era.

He has the 4th highest s/r of all time amongst all players with 200+ ODIs behind Afridi, Sehwag, and AB.

Silver Line

U19 Debutant
It depends on era.

Gilchrist's av and s/r as an opener were 36.5 and 98. Those are amazing stats for that era.

He has the 4th highest s/r of all time amongst all players with 200+ ODIs behind Afridi, Sehwag, and AB.
i already adjusted their stats to 2022, and then applied weightages for making the points.

In 2022, Gilchrist’s ODI average becomes 39.81 with a 107.5 Strike Rate.

while Snagakkara (Post 2003) odi average becomes 48.18 with a Strike Rate of 86.9

Socerer 01

International Vice-Captain
i already adjusted their stats to 2022, and then applied weightages for making the points.

In 2022, Gilchrist’s ODI average becomes 39.81 with a 107.5 Strike Rate.

while Snagakkara (Post 2003) odi average becomes 48.18 with a Strike Rate of 86.9

why does Sanga get 70 odis knocked off his record suddenly

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Sangakkara is a massively overrated batsman in ODIs. Strike rate of 78 when a huge part of it is in the big bat patta pitch era is mediocre af. Nowhere near dhoni and Gilchrist in odis.
Agreed. Dhoni > Gilchrist > Sanga with bat in ODIs Sanga > Dhoni > Gilchrist with gloves in ODIs as well.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Maybe Controversial, but from my era adjusting methods and points system, the best ODI keeper-batsmen were
  1. ABD
  2. Bairstow
  3. Dhoni
  4. Buttler
  5. Gilchrist
  6. Sangakkara

the difference between gilc and sang was just decimals, so they are basically equals in this format
You are massively under estimating QDK

Silver Line

U19 Debutant
That's just ridiculous. Gilchrist was a much much better batsman than Sangakkara in ODIs and it's not even comparable. I think Sanga is a better limited overs keeper arguably but not in the same ballpark as a batsman.
for someone who holds the record of 4 consecutive 100s youre undermining him.

Silver Silva

International Debutant
Is it for Test or ODI ?

For Test I'd go :

1.Virender Sehwag
2.Saeed Anwar
3.Kumar Sangakkara
4.Sachin Tendulkar
5.Javed Miandad
6.Imran Khan (C)
7. Risabh Pant (WK)
8.Wasim Akram
9.Anil Kumble
10.Waqar Younis
11.Muttiah Muralitharan

For ODI :

1.Tillakaratne Dilshan
2.Sachin Tendulkar
3.Kumar Sangakkara
4.Aravinda Da Silva
5.MS Dhoni (C) (WK)
6.Shakib Al Hasan
7.Kapil Dev
8.Imran Khan
9.Wasim Akram
10.Lasith Malinga
11.Muttiah Muralitharan

Silver Line

U19 Debutant
i was adjusting stats and
Shahid Afridi??! Wtfff.

i forgot hes been playing since 96 like Ponting etc, that average and SR of his bump up just like all those 40avg batsmen of that time to actually pose him as a legitimate ODI batsman.

i thought this guy was useless but mans was striking the ball at the same rate then as his latter career…. Which meant…his striking was already considered dangerous in the latter half, so that makes his striking deemed even more monstrously fast for that time.

he had a 115SR for his first 50 matches batted, which was like 96-97. To put that in context buttler career SR is 118, in an era 20 years after Afridi.

Silver Line

U19 Debutant
I’m really not. He’s rubbish in this format and probably only makes the all time SL ODI XI because of his keeping.
I believe your assumption comes from Sangakkara’s overall career, which infact is valid because my points model puts him at last from all the great names in ODIs ive adjusted.

i adjusted his post 2003 stats as well since his first 3 years were bringing his stats down heavily. Which is fair because some players take time to settle.

In modern context, His post 2003 adjusted stats are very similar to Steve Smith post 2013. How you evaluate Smith’s odi career from then is exactly how Sangakkara’s is to be valued as well

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Smith is a meh ODI player too by ATG standards. Finch and Warner are comfortably better. I'd say him being on par with Sanga or Michael Clarke or Mohammad Yousuf is about right. All decent players but just kind of there.