• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All-time Ashes XI (BBC)

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
No complaints from me except Anderson (35.87) being picked over well everybody else really. I think Anderson is a terrific bowler but I'm sure even he says he hasn't been at his best in the Ashes. Almost tempted to replace Anderson with Alderman to be honest if we're going off 'pure Ashes' performers and not simply great cricketers everywhere.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It’s not a bad side. Would have Hutton over Boycs, but the latter’s 70-71 series was amazing.

Only selection I’d genuinely quibble with is Anderson. Fine bowler but not an ATG Ashes performer for mine.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Massively under rated because he’s usually vying with Miller for an allrounder spot in ATG teams. And he basically came long straight after KRM as well.

Inclusion of Davo over Anderson would give the side a lot better batting depth too. He’d bat behind Gilchrist and ahead of Warne. Solid.

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
If we want to reward guys for sustained brilliance in Ashes encounters only:

H.Sutcliffe
L.Hutton
D.Bradman
K.Barrington
S.Waugh
A.Border
A.Gilchrist
S.Warne
D.Lillee
T.Alderman/SF Barnes (take your pick depending on your allegience I guess)
G.McGrath

Could replace either Waugh, Barrington or TOTAB with Botham if that's the balance you wanted

Last edited:

Second Spitter

State Vice-Captain
If we want to reward guys for sustained brilliance in Ashes encounters only:

H.Sutcliffe
L.Hutton
D.Bradman
K.Barrington
S.Waugh
A.Border
A.Gilchrist
S.Warne
D.Lillee
T.Alderman/SF Barnes (take your pick depending on your allegience I guess)
G.McGrath

Could replace either Waugh, Barrington or TOTAB with Botham if that's the balance you wanted
Clem was a true Ashes hero.

watson

Banned
The Ashes: top 50 Ashes batsmen

1. Don Bradman
2. Jack Hobbs
3. Steve Waugh
4. Allan Border
5. Herbert Sutcliffe
6. Len Hutton
7. Ken Barrington
8. Walter Hammond
9. Maurice Leyland
10. Mark Waugh

The Ashes: top 50 Ashes batsmen - Telegraph

The Ashes: top 50 Ashes bowlers

1. Shane Warne
2. Dennis Lillee
3. Ian Botham
4. Glenn McGrath
5. Sydney Barnes
6. Harold Larwood
7. Jim Laker
8. Terry Alderman
9. Hedley Verity
10. Alec Bedser

The Ashes: top 50 Ashes bowlers - Telegraph

01. Jack Hobbs
02. Herbert Sutcliffe
03. Don Bradman
04. Ken Barrington
05. Steve Waugh
06. Allan Border
07. Adam Gilchrist
08. Ian Botham
09. Shane Warne
10. Dennis Lillee
11. Glenn McGrath

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Imagine Botham and Gilly getting a partnership going.

digiosmosis

Cricket Spectator
This list is mentioned without the English cricketer Len Hutton who had a batting average of more than 55 in Test Cricket. He should be even included in the All Time Favorite.