• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All Rounders XI

Googenheim

U19 12th Man
Yet another select-a-team thread.

Pick an all time All rounders Test XI, with the provisio that it must include players from atleast 7 test nations, and no more than 2 from any single nation, including the keeper.

To be eligible, players must have taken atleast 100 career wickets at less than 35 runs apiece and scored atleast 1000 career runs at more than 30 runs per completed innings. No statistical eligibility criterea for the keeper.

How would they fare against the present day World Champions?

My attempt:

MH Mankad
TL Goddard
AW Greig
JH Kallis
GS Sobers
K Sangakkara +
IT Botham
KR Miller
I Khan
NK Dev
CL Cairns

Miller and Imran to open the bowling, follwed by Botham and Kapil. Mankad to provide the spin option, backed up by Sobers.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Can't be too many all-rounders who've actually opened in a test match.

Andrew Hall, Irfan Pathan and Manoj Prabhakar are three that spring to mind.

Googenheim

U19 12th Man

Mankad and Goddard were regular openers for India and South Africa respectively. Mankad even held the partnership record for the first wicket till recently.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member

Eddie Barlow, Wilf Rhodes and Ravi Shastri are 3 that spring to mind. Hammond did on a rare occasion as did Alec Stewart as a keeper

EDIT- Just saw the criteria in the opening post. Im guessing a few of these will not make it.

EDIT 2- Jayasuriya just misses out with the cut off at 100 wkts. Has 98 at under 35 and a batting av of over 40.

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Id like to find a role for Rhodes, and Flintoff and especially Shaun Pollock. He should get in easily.

Ive been looking and given the criteria of > 1000 runs @ > 30 AND > 100 wkts @ < 35

There are only 15 guys that qualify. Not much room to create a discussion when so few are available. Maybe this thread is just to show that Pathan is one of the 15, or am I too suspicious :-O :)
Code:
MA	Noble
W	Rhodes
KR	Miller
MH	Mankad
GS	Sobers
TL	Goddard
Imran	Khan
AW	Greig
IT	Botham
Kapil	Dev
CL	Cairns
SM	Pollock
JH	Kallis
A	Flintoff
IK	Pathan

Googenheim

U19 12th Man
Id like to find a role for Rhodes, and Flintoff and especially Shaun Pollock. He should get in easily.

Ive been looking and given the criteria of > 1000 runs @ > 30 AND > 100 wkts @ < 35

There are only 15 guys that qualify. Not much room to create a discussion when so few are available. Maybe this thread is just to show that Pathan is one of the 15, or am I too suspicious :-O :)
Code:
MA	Noble
W	Rhodes
KR	Miller
MH	Mankad
GS	Sobers
TL	Goddard
Imran	Khan
AW	Greig
IT	Botham
Kapil	Dev
CL	Cairns
SM	Pollock
JH	Kallis
A	Flintoff
IK	Pathan
Haha, what? Whatever the stats show, I won't rate Pathan as an all-rounder until he scores a hundred in a live and testing match situation anyway, so this thread isn't meant to showcase his prowess as an all-rounder.

What if we relax the batting critereon to an average of 25+ ? It'd let the likes of Hadlee in, but I don't consider him an all-rounder. Also, I don't think it'd be advisable to relax the bowling average cutoff?

Vinoo Mankad
Tony Greig
+Andy Flower
Jaques Kallis
Keith Miller
Garry Sobers
Ian Botham
*Imran Khan
Kapil Dev
Chris Cairns
Shaun Pollock

Engle

State Vice-Captain
T.Goddard
V.Mankad
J.Kallis
K.Sangakarra (wk)
G.Sobers
Imran Khan (c)
K.Miller
I.Botham
M.Noble
Kapil Dev
W.Rhodes

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
All Rounders as opener:

Andrew Hall 330 runs @ 41.25 (8 innings)
Vinoo Mankad 1548 runs @ 36.00 (43 innings)
Trevor Goddard 2460 runs @ 33.24 (74 innings)
Irfan Pathan 108 runs @ 27.00 (4 innings)
Manoj Prabhakar 958 runs @ 33.03 (29 innings)

M R HS AVE W BB AVE
Prabhakar overall record 39 1600 120 32.65 - 96 6/132 37.30
Goddard overall record 41 2516 112 34.46 - 123 6/53 26.22
Mankad overall record 44 2109 231 31.47 - 162 8/52 32.32

Interesting... I've run out of time to look at Barlow, Greig, Shastri et. al. as its time for work...

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Eddie Barlow
Vinoo Mankad
Jacques Kallis
Gary Sobers
Keith Miller
Tony Greig
Adam Gilchrist+
Imran Khan
Ian Botham
Richie Benaud
Richard Hadlee

honourable mentions to Procter, Rhodes, Rice, Dev, Sangakkara & S Pollock

shortpitched713

International Captain
Vinoo Mankad
Tony Greig
Jacques Kallis
Garry Sobers
Adam Gilchrist+
Imran Khan*
Keith Miller
Ian Botham
Chris Cairns
Andrew Flintoff
Shaun Pollock

Picked my bowling guns first: Imran, Pollock, Botham, and then tried to stack the batting as much as possible given the criteria. Don't think the batting is all that strong outside of Sobers and Kallis, actually. 6-11 are largely interchangeable depending on who's willing to carry the bowling load on the day.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Vinoo Mankad
Tony Greig
Jacques Kallis
Garry Sobers
Adam Gilchrist+
Imran Khan
Keith Miller
Ian Botham
Chris Cairns
Andrew Flintoff
Shaun Pollock

Picked my bowling guns first: Imran, Pollock, Botham, and then tried to stack the batting as much as possible given the criteria. Don't think the batting is all that strong outside of Sobers and Kallis, actually.
The problem with an all rounder XI would be that only 4-6 will ever bowl, so the rest are just wasted spots. But that's not really a point of picking an all rounder XI. :p

shortpitched713

International Captain
Outside of Sobers, Kallis, and Gilchrist at the top, none of them have the class to handle all-time quality bowling attacks, just imo.

Last edited:

Googenheim

U19 12th Man
Vinoo Mankad
Tony Greig
Jacques Kallis
Garry Sobers
Adam Gilchrist+
Imran Khan*
Keith Miller
Ian Botham
Chris Cairns
Andrew Flintoff
Shaun Pollock

Picked my bowling guns first: Imran, Pollock, Botham, and then tried to stack the batting as much as possible given the criteria. Don't think the batting is all that strong outside of Sobers and Kallis, actually. 6-11 are largely interchangeable depending on who's willing to carry the bowling load on the day.
You've got 3 from England, mate.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Add Mudassar Nazar to that list, IIRC he's opened both batting & bowling in the 1984-85 tour of NZ