• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Afridi Left Out Of The One Day Squad?!?!?!?!

Is it April the first or am I missing something here?

I'm assuming this was either a missprint, they meant he was "dropped" as in a catch that went down (although I can't envisage him not clearing the boundary ever to be honest, but surely even that's still more likely) or that the corrupt Pakistani cricket board have decided to throw the series in advance.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
IIRC (without checking) his recent stats aren't actually that good, strangely. I'd imagine it's only temporary and form-based, he'll be back.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I also thought it must be April 1st when I saw the thread title. I mean how could anybody be stupid enough not to post this in the "Official West Indies in Pakistan" thread?

mohammad16

U19 Captain
they difintely need afridi after shoaib and asif are not available, pakistan team will lack any firepwer at all to even keep up with most other countries on FLAT tracks which is most likely what we will see in the carebean

Afridi is more then anything a confidence player, hes even mentioned that in alot of his interviews saying that all a boy needs is confidence from the coach and captain that he wont be dropped after 4-5 matches

i think his confidence must be at an all time low especially after eveyone felt he had finally cemented his spot in the team

the onyl way to build ur confidence is score runs and what better place to do that then on flat tracks in pakistan, this is why his omission was strange, if they wanted to drop afridi, he should have been dropped in the trophy and definitely should have played in the test series, the first two pitches were right down his neck

right now its not about who deserves the spot, pakistan NEED afridi to make any sort of a run in the world cup, its in thier best advantage to find a way to bring him back in form

unfortunately, giving him a chance in the S african tour might be the worst thing thats ever happend to him, he is more liely to fail in s african then any other place in the world and the pressure will be huge even if he does get a chance

he deserved to be dropped, but he was dropped for the wrong series, pakistan simply cant hope to make an impression in the worl cup without him so its strange

mohammad16

U19 Captain
why do u care about numbers so much, not playing him in the world cup would be disastraus even if he had averaged 2, hes a diff type of player, u gotta take a chance with him in the world cup

mohammad16

U19 Captain
single handedly won pakistan matches, his quickfire 20-30 can be crucial in odis, HE HAS TO BE in the world cup plans there is no doubt, and im 100% certain he will proove u people wrong

hes not ur normal player, u have to look at him differently, hes always been a gamble, it was only last year that he had some consistency in his game, and he played big roles in some of those matches

he went out of form for various reasons, he changed his style, during the time when he was consistent, he was trying more to play straight but as his form kept getting better, he started to move away, and if u look at his late innings hes been back to the old afridi mode, trying to paly across the line from the get go

thats his problem, and u also have to factor out that most of his struggles have been in england on pitches very different from the west indies or the subcontinent ones

what has sehwag done to justify his position????? yet india cant afford to drop the guy, hes too important to the team and he has to be in thier plans if they want to push for the world cup

afridi is no sehwag, but trust me, he really need to feature in the world cup or pakistan will have NO fire power what so ever except razzaq

adharcric

International Coach
mohammad16 said:
what has sehwag done to justify his position????? yet india cant afford to drop the guy, hes too important to the team and he has to be in thier plans if they want to push for the world cup

afridi is no sehwag, but trust me, he really need to feature in the world cup or pakistan will have NO fire power what so ever except razzaq
Sehwag hasn't done **** to justify his position. If the Indian selectors are your role models, I pity you.
India can definitely afford to drop Sehwag and Pakistan can definitely afford to drop Afridi.
At least Sehwag will score a big one every 10 matches. Afridi will give you a quickfire 30 once every 10 matches. Just a poor man's Sehwag, which is really quite an insult. Good luck.

Last edited:

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If a guy doesn't perform he should be dropped, Afridi wasn't performing so Pakistan dropped him.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
mohammad16 said:
why do u care about numbers so much, not playing him in the world cup would be disastraus even if he had averaged 2, hes a diff type of player, u gotta take a chance with him in the world cup
:laugh: :laugh:

Mind explaining how having in the team averaging 2 wouldn't be more disastrous than leaving him out for someone who can bat and averages say 30

shortpitched713

International Captain
Lillian Thomson said:
I also thought it must be April 1st when I saw the thread title. I mean how could anybody be stupid enough not to post this in the "Official West Indies in Pakistan" thread?
BLE is too much of a rebel to do something like that, tbh.

mohammad16

U19 Captain
Clapo said:
:laugh: :laugh:

Mind explaining how having in the team averaging 2 wouldn't be more disastrous than leaving him out for someone who can bat and averages say 30
LOL i crack myself up BAHAHAAHAHHAAHHAAH i meant he could win u that one game in the world cup single handedly when no other one could

but i think 2 is his lucky number and pakistan wins when he scores 2

albo97056

U19 Cricketer
with an average of 11 heel have lost u plenty of games before he wins one for u.

This is why pakistan is so inconsistent. its alrite to say he will win the odd game for u, but at what cost? You want consistancy from a player, not the odd sparkling hundred every year.

IndianByHeart

U19 Vice-Captain
BingLeeElectric said:
Is it April the first or am I missing something here?

I'm assuming this was either a missprint, they meant he was "dropped" as in a catch that went down (although I can't envisage him not clearing the boundary ever to be honest, but surely even that's still more likely) or that the corrupt Pakistani cricket board have decided to throw the series in advance.
A batsman that averages below 10 in international cricket in a year, deserves nothing but axe.

I hope Afridi NEVER EVER returns.