• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Adam Gilchrist

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
The only obvious reason for bowling over the wicket to left handers is to bring lbw into the equation by getting the inswinger going. However, given that the ball rarely swings in ODIs such a ploy to me sounds like its made for disaster because anything that is a fraction too wide will be cut or driven with ease and anything thats too straight will be played onto the leg side with ease. The margin for error for any bowler bowling over the wicket to a left hander is far smaller than bowling around the wicket IMO.
Agreed, but i reckon the reason so bowling do it is because not all bowlers like bowling around the wicket & probably some can't do it as well as England did in 2005. So yea even though i agree with the idea that Gilly does have a weakness to right-arm bowlers coming around the wicket or left-armers bringing it into him you got to be very accurate like Flintoff to consistently troubling him since you give he is so brilliant on the cut he will punish or even fractionally short your gone..