• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

AB de Villiers now the one and only "AB"

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Quite disappointing that viriya has yet to rate my 137 (102) in B4s earlier this season despite my having posted about it before Christmas.

It's the only hundred spoken of on CW in the past five months which hasn't led to the posting of a new link to cricrate, so I feel somewhat slighted.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Alexander Chalmers Bannerman was a member of the first Australian team in England in 1878, Alec Bannerman will be remembered as long as cricket is played.

Debris

International 12th Man
This might be controversial but I don't think I can call de Villiers AB. It breaks the long-standing rule that no-one can give themselves a nickname.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Alexander Chalmers Bannerman was a member of the first Australian team in England in 1878, Alec Bannerman will be remembered as long as cricket is played.
Despite Alec probably being a better player, he will always be overshadowed by his brother.

Marius

International Debutant
Any discussion of the greatest South African batman ever, will now have to include AB.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Any discussion of the greatest South African batman ever, will now have to include AB.
Nah, he's been in the conversation for a while. This innings doesn't do that much to his reputation vis-a-vis Pollock et al in Test cricket, more shows how utterly insane he is in the premier format of the game, ODIs.

Riggins

International Captain
Batting 6 iirc. Had been rolled and asked to follow on, so was playing for the draw after another top-order collapse.
The best way to play for the draw is to look to score a run a ball, you idiot.

Marius

International Debutant
Nah, he's been in the conversation for a while. This innings doesn't do that much to his reputation vis-a-vis Pollock et al in Test cricket, more shows how utterly insane he is in the premier format of the game, ODIs.
I haven't really seen him mentioned in those discussions. They're normally about who was the best out of Richards, Pollock, and Kallis, with Nourse thrown in as a token.

But he's shown he is a complete bastman in Tests already I think. I mean in the last series in Australia, he got 30 off more than 200 balls to help save the match, and in the next game got 100 at close to a run-a-ball.

What a legend.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Well I've considered him to be in the conversation for a while :P

But for those who haven't, an ODI knock -- even one as spectacularly brilliant as that one -- isn't likely to change opinions.

Marius

International Debutant
Well I've considered him to be in the conversation for a while :P

But for those who haven't, an ODI knock -- even one as spectacularly brilliant as that one -- isn't likely to change opinions.
Fair enoguh.

I have to be honest, AB never really came to mind when I thought about our greatest ever batsman, but I think he will definitely in future.