• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A team of WC rookies?

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
OK, since a lot of World XIs get picked here I thought I'd pick one...but with one proviso. They must be in their countries WC squad...but have never played a WC match before. so after much thought I came up with a WC rookie XI:
1. Shoaib Malik
2. Upal Tharanga
3. Mike Hussey (Capt)
4. Kevin Pietersen
5. Michael Clarke
6. MS Dhoni (wk)
7. Jacob Oram
8. Irfan Pathan
9 .Laseth Malinga
10.Mohammad Asif
11.Monty Panesar

And if you wanted a squad of 15 the back up players could be:
AB de Villiers (reserve 'keeper too)
Dwayne Bravo
Andre Nel
Jerone Taylor

Now I know full well a lot of people will disagree...so who would be in your team of WC newcomers? Remember the rules...they must be in their country's squad for the forthcoming WC...but have never played in a WC before.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
big Jake Oram played in the last WC mate, so you could bring in Bravo for him. Otherwise good XI.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
OK, since a lot of World XIs get picked here I thought I'd pick one...but with one proviso. They must be in their countries WC squad...but have never played a WC match before. so after much thought I came up with a WC rookie XI:
1. Shoaib Malik
Shoaib Malik has still not played in a World Cup...

Criminal.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
:lol: Yeah, just spotted the mistake in the title! :lol: Didn't notice it when I first posted!

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Because Bracken's a rookie?

He's been an established team-member for a year now. And a star performer, at that.
It's about World Cup rookies. You seemed to know that when you mentioned Shoaib Malik earlier.

I'm pretty sure Bracken has not played a WC game. He got drafted into the squad for the last WC when someone (Gillespie?) pulled out with injury, but I'm fairly certain he didn't play.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
But Laxman's not a fantastic top-order batsman (who can also bowl passably and is a pretty reasonable fielder) like Malik. I agree he's a bit unfortunate never to even go to a Cup but his non-playing is nowhere near as outrageous as Malik's to-date.