• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A team of 11 spinners !

Shahid Afridi

School Boy/Girl Captain
post your lineup of 11 players that can bowl spin at their best:

1 gilchrist (off break)
2 afridi
3 gayle
4 giles
5 vettori
6 warne
7 harbajan singh
8 kumble
9 saqlain
10 muralitharan
11 kaneira

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
If you need a keeper that bowls spin, look no further than Tatenda Taibu or Tillekeratne Dilshan. Anyway...

1. Chris Gayle
2. Sanath Jayasuirya
3. Shoaib Malik
4. Tatenda Taibu
5. Tillekeratne Dilshan
6. Shahid Afridi
7. Daniel Vettori
8. Ashley Giles
9. Shane Warne
10. Anil Kumble
11. Muttiah Muralitharan

shaka

International Regular
Slats4ever said:
McGill for nyone except murali or warney
Now if only he could improve his ability with the bat. Mind you I was impressed by his 20 runs (in one innings) v Windies

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Slats4ever said:
McGill for nyone except murali or warney
Kumble's a better spinner than MacGill. Saqlain in his prime was too. But you're right, MacGill should make a spinner's 11 instead of some there like Giles, even if GIles is handy with the bat.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Shahid Afridi said:
4 giles
5 vettori
Giles ahead of Vettori in the order? Giles is a handy batsman I admit but Vettori has two test centuries.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I posted a similar side up a while ago...

Bob Simpson
Frank Worrell (c)
Don Bradman
Sachin Tendulkar
Greame Pollock
Gary Sobers
Andy Flower (wk)
Richie Benaud (vc)
Shane Warne
Muttiah Muralitharan
Jim Laker

Last edited:

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
Jono said:
Kumble's a better spinner than MacGill. Saqlain in his prime was too. But you're right, MacGill should make a spinner's 11 instead of some there like Giles, even if GIles is handy with the bat.
hmm MacGill's record would suggest that he is a superior spin bowler than Kumble. McGill's test match avg with the ball is 27.47 compared to Kumble's 28.38, and his strike rate is a lot lower also. MacGill also makes more dismissals per match than Kumble.

Not only do the statistics represent McGills superiority, the story behind the stats is also valid.It is common knowledge that the pitch's presented in India are very good for spin bowling. On the spin friendly wickets of India Kumble averages 23 with the ball having played 50 matches. This is compared to foreign soil where he averages 36 where the pitches aren't so subjective to spin bowling.

McGill on the other hand plays in Australia, a place whe the pitches aren't prepared to favour the spinners as much as they are in Australia. On Australian soil McGill averages 25 with the ball. Further to this McGills versatility on being able to bowl on any track comes when looking at his test record at the WACA (probably the worlds haven for quicks) where he averages 21.

My argument that McGill is a superior spinner to Kumble is highlighted by his statistical significance. I believe that this statistical difference would be even greater had McGill been given the opportunity to bowl on some of the pitches that Kumble has got to bowl the majority of his career on.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Slats4ever said:
hmm MacGill's record would suggest that he is a superior spin bowler than Kumble. McGill's test match avg with the ball is 27.47 compared to Kumble's 28.38, and his strike rate is a lot lower also. MacGill also makes more dismissals per match than Kumble.

Not only do the statistics represent McGills superiority, the story behind the stats is also valid.It is common knowledge that the pitch's presented in India are very good for spin bowling. On the spin friendly wickets of India Kumble averages 23 with the ball having played 50 matches. This is compared to foreign soil where he averages 36 where the pitches aren't so subjective to spin bowling.

McGill on the other hand plays in Australia, a place whe the pitches aren't prepared to favour the spinners as much as they are in Australia. On Australian soil McGill averages 25 with the ball. Further to this McGills versatility on being able to bowl on any track comes when looking at his test record at the WACA (probably the worlds haven for quicks) where he averages 21.

My argument that McGill is a superior spinner to Kumble is highlighted by his statistical significance. I believe that this statistical difference would be even greater had McGill been given the opportunity to bowl on some of the pitches that Kumble has got to bowl the majority of his career on.
MacGill has tailored his bowling to Australian pitches and Kumble to Indian pitches. Like Warne, MacGill prefers bounce over turn, so pitches don't really come into as pitches in Australia suit his bowling and pitches in Indian suit Kumble bowling. IMO they are about on par...

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
chaminda_00 said:
MacGill has tailored his bowling to Australian pitches and Kumble to Indian pitches. Like Warne, MacGill prefers bounce over turn, so pitches don't really come into as pitches in Australia suit his bowling and pitches in Indian suit Kumble bowling. IMO they are about on par...
I would think macgill prefers spin to bounce, since he spins it quite alot. I will always rate kumble above MacGill though

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Who do you guys think would win out of a match between the following spinners XI and seamers XI:

Spinner XI:

L Hutton (vc)
V Shewag
K Barrington
B Lara
G Pollock
R Dravid
A Flower (wk)
R Benaud (c)
S Warne
M Muralitharan
J Laker

Seamers XI

S Gavaskar
J Hobbs
W Hammond
J Kallis
G Chappell
S Waugh (vc)
C Walcott (wk)
I Khan (c)
R Hadlee
D Lillee
G McGarth

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
GoT_SpIn said:
I would think macgill prefers spin to bounce, since he spins it quite alot. I will always rate kumble above MacGill though
MacGill also has the advantage of playing primarily on tracks that are expected to turn...he doesn't get selected otherwise. IMO, Kumble is far far superior to MacGill.