• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L. Thread II

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
I've been souping up the spreadsheet I started a few weeks ago to include a few more bits of data. I still haven't got any consideration for home and away performances, but I've added in records of disposal efficiency (a stat I'm prety sceptical at the best of times), tackles for and against and a simple win/loss summary of games played at 'home' (a loose term) or on the road. Coloured cells indicate whether the team won or lost the match.

I've found a few interesting things in it (they are to me anyway). Despite being sceptical of disposal efficiency in terms of what you can glean from it, well, as an absolute number, there's not much, but that won't come as any surprise. For example, Adelaide have a higher DE% than Geelong, but are on totally opposite ends of the ladder, which obviously makes no sense. What I did find interesting was there is some correlation so far this season between disposal efficiency and performance - that is, when a team's DE% is lower than their average percentage, they tend to lose. So it's not a stat you can totally disregard.

In the tackles sheet I've developed a weighted average, as best I can, to account for the amount of time spent in possession and out of possession. It's a bit clumsy I'll admit, but I've used average disposals for and against to come up with a loose way of determining this. If you look at the difference between the weighted averages it tells you some things you'd already know: Adelaide are ****, Richmond are twice as bad, and the Hawks and West Coast aren't far off being the worst sides at applying pressure either. Interestingly, Freo have a negative value as well, which could suggest that whatever they're doing that has them playing so well this season, it isn't pressure on the ball carrier. Ditto the Bulldogs. I think it provides food for thought on how these sides should be countered.

Still early days with only 5 rounds of info to go off, but I'm hoping this comes in handy at some point in the future.

If people like it I'll post updates week to week. (Note the figures on the first sheet do not include the last half of RD5 - left the updated version of it at home.)

Attachments

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I was checking out your spreadsheet last week Casson. I liked it, particularly the ground stats. I'll check your new one out now and get back to you.

Saints, get rid of Raph Clarke ASAP!

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Heh, so Saints wont be winning the flag this year. Absolutely no idea what to do without Riewoldt.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
What a **** game of footy.

People who talk about it being a good contest, go **** off. I like defensive footy, but that's over the top and rubbish.

Ross Lyon didn't want to win, just wanted to reduce how much they lost by.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Please sneak this Saints. Even though you've been pricks, Doggies have been even more annoying and I'd love to win some big money

EDIT: YES COME ON

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
**** YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

Got on at half time. Thank ****ing yeahhhhhhhhhhhh

*calms down*

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
With 15 minutes left Doggies were 17 pts up and paying 1.10. :-O

Last edited:

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Fantastic game (for the last five minutes). I caught the first half before coming to work and couldn't get out quick enough by the time I had to leave. It'd be a weird game for both the supporters leaving there I think - for all the emotion involved, I'd say it's a pyrrhic victory for the Saints, though I'm sure they wouldn't feel like that.

That's five times in a row now St Kilda have lost the tackle count.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
1. Adelaide, stop trying to steal the wooden spoon from Richmond. Its ours, go **** off.
2. If you're going to be 0-6, at least play lots of kids. You have so many 200+ gamers its ridiculous.

pasag

RTDAS
Horrible skills in the Hawks Essendon game. Almost every kick, handball and mark is mangled.