• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A Cricket Calendar

Natman20

International Debutant
I have been thinking and I have looked at the way some other sports hold competitions and I think a calender year should include:

- T20 Club Championships
from England (including scottish, irish), India (including Pakistanis, Sri Lanka, bangladesh), Australasia (including NZ, SA), West Indies. The best teams from each should compete together. Sort of like a club v club. This already seems to be going through but IMO this should be in the calendar.

- A T20 cup should still be held every 2 years.

- Rather than having test and ODI series together teams compete in triangular ODI series around the world to make the results more interesting rather than just having one v one. This way everyone gets to take on more teams and diversity in teams will only help IMO. It should theoretically give more time for tests and T20 tournaments.

- A champions trophy should be held every year apart from the world cup year

- From the rankings of the previous year teams ranked no.1 and 2 should go head to head in a 3 match ODI series. (instead of chappell/hadlee)

- Ashes and tests remain as is with a required minimum of at least 6 tests per year for any team (I'm a kiwi! :) )

--------------------------------------------------------
So I am suggesting in a year:

T20 Tournaments - WI, AUS, ENG, IND
T20 Club Championship

(Other domestic competitions the same without T20 - exeptions to NZ and others in similar situations that may not have a great number of players in any of the tournaments)

ODI Triangular series' with appropriate rotation of teams and locations
ODI Champions Trophy big team knockout competition
ODI Teams ranked 1 and 2 play a minimum of 3 matches against each other in a series.

TESTS minimum of 6 tests per year with series being minimum of 3.

-----------------

T20 world champs every second year
ODI world cup every 4 years

Yep sounds dumb but maybe this may spark some ideas that are better! much better!

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
A lot of it sounds good, but as the Chappell-Hadlee is the highlight of almost every cricket year for me (only the Ashes and World Cup beat it) I'd be opposed to it being replaced.

stumpski

International Captain
Some good ideas there, but are triangular tournaments the way forward? They've been abandoned in both England and Australia, on the grounds that the matches not featuring the home team are poorly attended. And as for the Ashes, I would actually extend it to a five year cycle with a series played every two and a half years. The series in Australia always seems to come too quickly after the one in England I think. Always keep it at five Tests though.

archie mac

International Coach
Some good ideas there, but are triangular tournaments the way forward? They've been abandoned in both England and Australia, on the grounds that the matches not featuring the home team are poorly attended. And as for the Ashes, I would actually extend it to a five year cycle with a series played every two and a half years. The series in Australia always seems to come too quickly after the one in England I think. Always keep it at five Tests though.
The crowds at the Ashes seem to suggest that they have the timing pretty close:)

Would not an India V Pakistan match in England give a huge crowd?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm not sure any form of artificially enforced thing can work really - there are too many variants involved in the various seasons of the calender.

You've some good ideas, as everyone's said - Twenty20 works far better as domestic teams than internationals and I hope in time international Twenty20 will be done away with. But Test and ODI schedules will always have to be bent around one thing or another, and some schedules are always going to be more constant than others.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
One thing that I would like to see between countries which are close are series in both countries combined.

This would work well for ODIs for instance in the Chappell Hadlee Series.

You could have a best of 5 series with the first two games in NZ and the last 3 in AUS, and then the next year, you switch the extra game advantage around.

Game 1 Friday, Game 2 Sunday, Game 3 Wednesday, Game 4 Friday, Game 5 Sunday.

A nice sharp series over in 9 days.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
England regularly used to tour Aus and NZ combined, and Ind and Pak combined.

This generally went out of fashion when it became obvious that the second tour was a "tacked-on" thing and was essentially patronising to the "smaller" team.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I don't think you understand Rich.

I mean a series between Australia and New Zealand.
Game 1: in NZ
Game 2: in NZ
Game 3: In AUS
Game 4: In AUS
Game 5: In AUS

The next series 2 matches in AUS, and the last 3 in NZ and so forth.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
O I C.

Not sure TBH, seems to mean a hell of a lot of unneccessary travel, which is precisely what there's too much of anyway. No?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
O I C.

Not sure TBH, seems to mean a hell of a lot of unneccessary travel, which is precisely what there's too much of anyway. No?
No not all.

Travelling from NZ to east coast of Australia, is faster than a trip from Perth to the East Coast.

I would enjoy a format like this especially with the Kiwis.

slugger

State Vice-Captain
further more.. i herd the rugby union is likely to kick off the super 14 month later than normal if not next year the one after.... this gives NZ, RSA and Aust. well a window if it was needed to have a cricket tri nations most likely 20/20

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No not all.

Travelling from NZ to east coast of Australia, is faster than a trip from Perth to the East Coast.

I would enjoy a format like this especially with the Kiwis.
True I guess.

I don't see it happening TBH but I suppose from the Aus-NZ POV it's not neccessarily an objection.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't think you understand Rich.

I mean a series between Australia and New Zealand.
Game 1: in NZ
Game 2: in NZ
Game 3: In AUS
Game 4: In AUS
Game 5: In AUS

The next series 2 matches in AUS, and the last 3 in NZ and so forth.
I'd be in favour of that TBH, making it a longer series and giving the crowds in both countries a chance to play their part.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
When teams play each other in short succession like NZ V Eng this year, and whenever SA play Aus, it should be classed as one mega series. Keeps things interesting.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Maybe reorganising the Test championship into a Davis Cup style format with room for preservation of signature test series like the ashes.

slugger

State Vice-Captain
I like this idea^^^ but there lways seems to be an hesitation from cw community and general icc body to arrange teams into groups.. i on the other hand belive the cream will always rise to the top. i see a group format a better way to show a test match has some bearing on a teams progess not a life long cycle based on some meaningless ranking system (current cream rise to the top format) but no true final is every conducted or true final series to conclusive validate a teams ranking.

furthermore the groups can always be rearranged yearly or 2nd yearly..(what ever may be applicable)