• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Jadeja an ATG test cricketer?

Is Ravindra Jadeja an ATG test cricketer?

• Yes

Votes: 41 71.9%
  • No

Votes: 16 28.1%

• Total voters

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Hard one. I'd say Ashwin and Shakib both are and he's not far behind them. Throw in his world class fielding as well and he'd be very close. I guess it again comes back to how we define ATGs.

Santner is a better white ball player though and should start for CSK.

Flem274*

123/5
Better cricketer than Ashwin imo but both still in the ATVG bracket for me because it's very hard for a finger spinner to be a truly great bowler. In an ATG scenario where you presumably pick one team for everywhere (flawed idea but I'm going with conventional wisdom here) you're going to pick a wrist spinner first if you have a good one.

Jadeja has the advantage of almost being a balanced allrounder though and he's still a very dangerous lower middle order batsman and electric fielder even in conditions where he is expected to be steady rather than vicious with the ball.

Very, very close however.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Ashwin and Jadeja I think are both underrated. Ashwin is already an ATG, and Jadeja look like he will be too at this rate, for mine. The whole finger spin, and conditions concern, for mine is unwarranted. All players have conditions they played better or worse in. It would have been a problem for India in the past but now away from home, India has had the pace attack to carry the team in those conditions, so it's not a big deal, for mine.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think if he keeps putting up his recent numbers and remains a lock for all of India's tests then he's a certainty to be rated ATG.

I say that even though he suffers from being part of a lesser species - finger spinners. I tend to think the only real thing stopping him being regarded as well on the way already is he hasn't always been a lock for selection for every test India plays. Surely he wold be now, especially given the way his batting has improved the past few years.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
The answer to this thread depends on how you rate PhilAnderson I think.
Jadeja is as much, if not more, of a beast at home as those two.
His away numbers aren’t great although he’s been very useful in South Africa + Australia, albeit in limited tests. This is made up by the amount of tests he’s won at home - it’s a staggering % (not all down to him of course but he’s been a huge, huge part of it).
However his batting has been pretty useful throughout - and we’re rating him as a cricketer, not merely a bowler.
And then there’s his fielding…

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
Very very good , but has he been held back a bit in his quest to being an ATG ?

I think so , I don't think India really maximised his ability because of the luxury he brings to the table as a three dimensional cricketer .. Certainly in the last few years he's been flourishing with more responsibility as a batsman ..I think that could have happened a lot sooner in his career.. He's that good there shouldn't even be a rotation policy between Ashwin and Jadeja away from home .

subshakerz

International Coach
The answer to this thread depends on how you rate PhilAnderson I think.
Jadeja is as much, if not more, of a beast at home as those two.
His away numbers aren’t great although he’s been very useful in South Africa + Australia, albeit in limited tests. This is made up by the amount of tests he’s won at home - it’s a staggering % (not all down to him of course but he’s been a huge, huge part of it).
However his batting has been pretty useful throughout - and we’re rating him as a cricketer, not merely a bowler.
And then there’s his fielding…
Anderson is a great because he was still quality away from home. Philander not so much.

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
Getting sidetracked but Anderson is a very special case , cause the Anderson from 21-32 years old compared to the Anderson of 32-40 years old is night and day , I think his last 350 test wickets have come at under 22 or something crazy like that , look at his last tour of Pakistan absolutely no help on the pitches for his style of bowling but what an impact, he's incredible in the sense he's getting better with age which is the opposite of what is expected of a bowler , I think Anderson edges it for me ..His first 90 odd tests his Bowling Average was in the 30's , that he brought it down to 26 after so many matches is quite amazing .