• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pacemen Who Carried an Attack

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Over the years, certain Tests sides have relied heavily on one particular pace bowler to carry their attack. Generally pace attacks have been reliant of two or three (and in the Windies case four) front line pace men but there have been occasions when one player stood head and shoulders above his new ball partners. Three examples that readily spring to mind are Richard Hadley, Kapil Dev and Graham McKenzie. All were prolific wicket takers who quite often seemed to lack support.
I'm sure there are others that might fit the description (Bedser pre Statham and Trueman for example) and I'd be interested to read of other CW members' views.

anil1405

International Captain
Streak is a good choice. Vaas definitely should not count with the attack having a certain Murali in it. Walsh had Ambrose too.
Walsh, after Ambrose retired, was like a lone wolf in that bowling attack for a couple of years I guess.

Edit: He only played one year and about 10 tests once Ambrose retired so wasn't for long.

Last edited:

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Streak is a good choice. Vaas definitely should not count with the attack having a certain Murali in it. Walsh had Ambrose too.
Good points. Vaas certainly carried the new ball attack while Walsh did the same in the 4 years prior to Ambrose appearing on the scene.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Lakmal (who improved a lot).

Blessing Muzarabani (if he gets to play enough tests) might be another in the next few years.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't know about Srinath for a couple reasons, firstly not sure he was good enough to really have carried the attack. He had guys like Agarkar pop in and out who were about as good as him. Secondly their attack was a lot of spin bowling who would usually bowl more overs than Srinath anyway which precludes him from "carrying" the attack. Same reason Vaas isn't an answer to this thread either.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
I don't know about Srinath for a couple reasons, firstly not sure he was good enough to really have carried the attack. He had guys like Agarkar pop in and out who were about as good as him. Secondly their attack was a lot of spin bowling who would usually bowl more overs than Srinath anyway which precludes him from "carrying" the attack. Same reason Vaas isn't an answer to this thread either.
Agakr was nowhere near as good as Srinath in tests.
Srinath in today’s attack and without the injuries would have been a pretty good bowler. Born in the wrong decade and all that.

a massive zebra

International Captain
I don't know about Srinath for a couple reasons, firstly not sure he was good enough to really have carried the attack. He had guys like Agarkar pop in and out who were about as good as him.
What the heck? 58 wickets @ 47 is about as good as 236 wickets @ 30? Statistically, Srinath was by far the best Indian paceman of his generation.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What the heck? 58 wickets @ 47 is about as good as 236 wickets @ 30? Statistically, Srinath was by far the best Indian packman of hod generation.
Yeah clearly I'm wrong about that one, biased with games v Aus and Agarkar had a couple good hauls against us

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Agarkar definitely had potential but he had the thing of giving away 1 or 2 boundary balls every over. Our version of Mohammed Sami.

TBF, even Agarkar on the back of today's attack will be a very good option.