• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Geoff Thompson vs Kemar Roach

Aritro

International Regular
This is a fantastic typo, I have a lot of time for it.

I'm a Roach fanboi and think the way he's adjusted to losing 15-20 kph of pace is astonishing, but I'm guessing Thommo was probably freakish at his peak before injuries ruined him?

ashley bach

International Captain
This is a fantastic typo, I have a lot of time for it.

I'm a Roach fanboi and think the way he's adjusted to losing 15-20 kph of pace is astonishing, but I'm guessing Thommo was probably freakish at his peak before injuries ruined him?
Thommo was just before my time but from footage seen and the stories told he was an absolute beast.
Batsman would sometimes prefer to face Lillee, and that's saying something.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
My somewhat lazy assumption was that peak Thomson was unplayable during the 1974/75 and 1975/76 series against England and WI but relatively ineffective thereafter due to the injury that he sustained at the start of the 1976/77 series against Pakistan. Reality is a bit more nuanced than that.

The 1974/75 Ashes were his absolute peak of course; 33 wickets at 17, and lots of the action is on youtube if anyone wants to take a peek. Similar to Johnson in 2013/14 really; a perfect storm of an extremely fast bowler at the absolute peak of his powers against batsmen who just hadn't seen it coming. Fast forward 12 months, and he again took a lot of wickets in the 5-1 win against WI, but each of his 29 wickets cost an average of 28.6 runs. Maybe the WI batsmen were better than their English counterparts at dealing with short pitched quick stuff? Maybe he wasn't fully fit at the start of the series, as he was relatively ineffective in the first two tests.

In between those two series, he did OK on England's slower pitches during the 1975 Ashes (16 wickets at 28.6). And a year or so after the WI series, he was injured. After that, purely from an England pov, he was actually more impressive in 1977 than he had been in 1975. And he had a pretty good 1977/78 series in the WI, even when the hosts played their first choice XI against Australia's post-Packer side. Thereafter, it looks like injuries kept him out of the side as often as he was in it. But he finished in style with 22 wickets at 18.6 in the 1982/83 Ashes. Even allowing for the fact that he was 32, it's odd that he didn't play again in the next two years, unless injuries did for him again.

Mind you, if slippy meant Geoff Lawson, then I've just wasted 15 minutes of my life.

EDIT
Looking into this a bit, I've probably understated his contribution to the 1975/76 WI series. Maybe he wasn't 100% fit for the first game, but apparently he was devastating for the last four tests.

Last edited:

BazBall21

International Regular
Probably Roach overall career wise. Thomson's average is pretty ordinary to say the relative lack of protective gear really suited his bowling.