• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How’s the next ICC FTP looking for your team - 2023-27 and beyond?

Jezroy

State Captain

Bangladesh have done well by the looks. Even NZ have probably more tests than I hoped they would (even though I’m sure we’ll get the old “oh yeah… we’re going to replace 1 of those tests with 2 T20s to make some more money…”).

NZ have 12 series in the WTC (so maybe others to be added) with 32 tests (currently - which may include tests outside the WTC - 1 vs Ireland, 1 or 2 vs Zim, and 1 vs Afghanistan, if they go ahead). Looks like 3 test series in England and India.

I’d say…

Home vs Aus, England, SA - 2 each
Away vs IND, BAN, SL - 3, 2, and 2

Home vs IND, WI, SL - 2 each
Away vs AUS, ENG, PAK - 2, 3, 2

That’d make 26. Then 3 more one offs vs minnows. So maybe an extra series, or the Aussie away series might have 3?

But yes, T20 is the dominant format. And TBF there is a bit more ODI cricket than I thought.

Be interesting to see the final schedule… and then how much of it plays out ?

Aritro

International Regular
Lol Bangladesh landing 34 tests just in time for all our good players to retire and kick off a few years in which we'll surely produce some of the most hapless performances we've had since the early to mid-2000s. Perfect :thumbsup:

Aritro

International Regular
I see India are going to play a lot of two-test series which is grim. As is South Africa playing fewer than 30 tests in that period.

Is the total number of tests being played fewer than previous cycles?

chathudk

Cricket Spectator
One ESPN article has mentioned that NZ will be playing four 3-match Test series vs Ind (1), Aus (1), ENG (2) which makes 28 Tests in WTC 2025, 2027.

Another article has mentioned that NZ will also play at least one Test match against ZIM (1), AFG (1), IRE (2).

That's their 32 Test matches in 2023-2027.

chathudk

Cricket Spectator
Looks like Sri Lanka will have only 26 Tests in 2023-2027. Really Disappointing. 24 WTC Tests + one each against Ire & Afg.
They played 26 in the last 2 WTC cycles as well. (24 WTC+ZIM2)

Aritro

International Regular
How many tests did SA play last cycle? I can't believe they're under 30 for the next one.

ataraxia

International Coach
Looks like Sri Lanka will have only 26 Tests in 2023-2027. Really Disappointing. 24 WTC Tests + one each against Ire & Afg.
They played 26 in the last 2 WTC cycles as well. (24 WTC+ZIM2)
When's the last time SL played a test match series over two matches in length?

ataraxia

International Coach
The IPL's now apparently getting a 74-day window. Maybe the death of cricket is fast approaching after all.

Didn't David White recently say NZ would play 9 tests a year? Which tbh isn't that bad; I'd expect more like 7. There's only 8 here, and likely not that many will happen. What's direr is that, Big 3 and Bangladesh aside, no other nation passes 30 tests.

Aritro

International Regular
NZ also passes 30 tests according to that article?

But yeah, there's plenty about it that's dire. 9 a year, had it happened, seems healthy enough by normal NZ standards or have you traditionally played more than that?

I'm hoping there's some room to manoeuvre with teams adding a test here and there (and obviously potentially dropping them). It seems to happen now and then that boards change the number of tests in a bilateral series?

Aritro

International Regular
FWIW, Bangladesh will have played 30 tests by the end of this cycle, and Australia already dropped two of them. And I can't remember if other nations did. So us playing 34 instead of the (at least) 32 that were scheduled in the current cycle isn't really an improvement. And half the teams are presumably playing less than they used to.

Bye bye test cricket. It was nice knowing you when you mattered.

Aritro

International Regular
I've just gone back and counted, and it appears South Africa played 55 test matches in the five-year FTP between May 2014 and July 2019. Now they're down to less than 30 over four years.

**** that's depressing.
Just did a quick count running my eye down a list of results and it appears Sri Lanka also played 55 tests in the five-year May 2014 to July 2019 cycle. Now they're down to 26 over four years.

chathudk

Cricket Spectator
Just did a quick count running my eye down a list of results and it appears Sri Lanka also played 55 tests in the five-year May 2014 to July 2019 cycle. Now they're down to 26 over four years.
Sri Lanka will play their next Test series after 8 months from now. Not sure the senior players like Dimuth, Mathews and Chandimal will stay just to play very few Test matches. Lakmal already left for County Cricket because of the lack of fixtures. Before 2019, there were years when SL played 12 Test matches. Won't happen again.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
It'll depend how closely the boards follow the FTP really...its not great viewing at the moment though but they rarely stick to it right?

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
The IPL's now apparently getting a 74-day window. Maybe the death of cricket is fast approaching after all.

Didn't David White recently say NZ would play 9 tests a year? Which tbh isn't that bad; I'd expect more like 7. There's only 8 here, and likely not that many will happen. What's direr is that, Big 3 and Bangladesh aside, no other nation passes 30 tests.
8-9 tests a year isn't that bad if the tours were done properly. Obviously two test series are better than nothing but they're pretty disappointing

There's obviously a massive cause for concern here but the FTP is hardly binding (for good and bad)