• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Player closest to being selected in both ATXI ( Test and ODI)

Choose the closest option

• Total voters

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Both McGrath and Tendulkar make both XIs for me but conceivably you could leave out McGrath from both (Pollock/Akram/Garner in ODIs and Marshall/Hadlee/Steyn/Ambrose in tests) but Tendulkar has no replacement in ODIs in addition to being in that top handful of test batsmen. Richards too. Leaving Murali out of the ODI team would raise eyebrows but there's Warne in tests.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Not sure about Sachin in the test team. Bradman is a lock at 3 and Sobers is a lock at 6 , while Smith must be very strongly considered for 4/5. That leaves Tendulkar up against Headley, Hammond, G Pollock, G Chappell, V Richards, Lara, Kallis, and Sangakkara for a spot.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Despite Dhoni's excellence in ODIs I think it is Gilchrist. He's the only guaranteed test pick in the list and had an insane record in World Cup finals.

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
Both McGrath and Tendulkar make both XIs for me but conceivably you could leave out McGrath from both (Pollock/Akram/Garner in ODIs and Marshall/Hadlee/Steyn/Ambrose in tests) but Tendulkar has no replacement in ODIs in addition to being in that top handful of test batsmen. Richards too. Leaving Murali out of the ODI team would raise eyebrows but there's Warne in tests.
Agree with this. Sachin an obvious lock for the ATG ODI team and a leading contender for the Test middle order.

McGrath next closest for me but there is always the temptation to pick a different atg bowler who can bat a bit better, especially for ODIs.

TheJediBrah

McGrath

Gilchrist has too much of a question mark in the ODI team because of Dhoni. Tendulkar is very questionable for the Test team. The rest have various issues and/or competitors.

morgieb

I'm probably saying McGrath. Think it's easier to find two Test middle order bats (if you already give the side Bradman + Sobers) that rival Tendulkar than 3 Test quicks who rival McGrath.

I can see RIS's point about wanting ODI bowlers who can bat, but I think the gap between McGrath and say Pollock is stark enough to counteract that.

Gilchrist the biggest lock in one side but it's getting increasingly difficult to say he's clearly better than Dhoni or even Buttler. Similarily, I still think I'd take Warne before Murali in a Test side.

trundler

[/QUOTE]
Eh, I wouldn't really count Headley, Pollock
Tendulkar is very questionable for the Test team.
Is he? He has as good a chance as McGrath realistically. Throw in the other top few pacers and some bowling all rounders like Imran and McGrath is only one of a ~8. Like Tendulkar.

TheJediBrah

Eh, I wouldn't really count Headley, Pollock
Is he? He has as good a chance as McGrath realistically. Throw in the other top few pacers and some bowling all rounders like Imran and McGrath is only one of a ~8. Like Tendulkar.
I think McGrath is potentially superior to his alternatives more than Tendulkar is

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I don't pick any of them in both test and ODI. But closest is Tendulkar.

EDIT: No actually I pick Murali in both. And he is the only one. So he gets my vote.

trundler

There are 6 batting slots and 3 fast bowling ones. McGrath is, at worst, top 5. Tendulkar would have to be in anyone's top 10. McGrath, Marshall, Hadlee, Steyn, Ambrose stand out among their peers as per CW consensus but it's only logical there are more standout elite batsmen. What I'm saying is the best non Bradman batsmen are bunched together at the top because there are just more batsmen in general.

srbhkshk

International Captain
Sachin and McGrath almost equally close. Will put Murali a tad below them purely because there is only one spinner per side [If it was two, he'd be the #1 by a massive margin imo.]

Gilchrist's case was stronger in 00s compared to now, he is still great for the test team but alternatives have emerged for the ODI side. Akram's case is iffy for the test side.

OverratedSanity

1) Murali
2) Sachin
3) McGrath

I don't think any of them are locks but Murali is more likely to make both XIs for me. He's only got one real competitor for the spot but yeah you could argue most people rightly only pick one spinner.

McGrath could hypothetically miss out if you go for batting depth with Imran or Hadlee. It's similar for Sachin in tests vs batting all rounders but I generally don't think people go for more than 6 players who need to bowl. Bowling options after that point are superfluous in a way batting depth arguably isn't,so he's marginally less likely to miss out than McGrath for me.

Last edited: