• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England (and Wales) gloom, doom and recriminations thread

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Created to let the Indian fans deservedly enjoy their win on the other thread. Now where were we? Hazsa and I reckon this is the worst day's play from an England side that we've ever seen. GIMH reckons Adelaide 2006 was worse, but he's wrong. I don't think I've ever seen a more idiotic bowling performance than what we sent down during India's 9th wicket partnership. Where was the captain to sort them out? And what part did our coach play in that? As for the batting, India were terrific but we've spent the last 24 hours being told this is a road, yet we couldn't see out 60 overs.

You just hope that whoever's doing the post-match interviews has the wherewithal to really rip into Root over the morning session.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I’m not wrong. Adelaide was worse. A fair few worse days overseas too. Probably about five in the 2013-14 Ashes.

Strauss has it right. Too much emotion, tactical failings. Not sure you can land it at the coach’s door, not much he can do when it’s falling apart in a session.

Here’s my team for the next Test

Cook
Strauss
Root
Pietersen
Collingwood
Bairstow
Buttler
Ali
Broad
Robinson
Anderson

**** it

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There've been worse, Danny Morrison batting forever, losing to Pakistan when chasing little, 42, amonst some of the top of my head.

Wasn't good though, but with Stokes, Woakes, Archer this probably wouldn't have happened.

I think Englands selectors will decide it was Leach and Overtons piss-poor carrying of the drinks that caused this, and they'll drop them from the squad and carry on with the brave lads.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Given all the chat that must have been happening after Burmrah's bowling at Anderson, the coach should have drilled it into them that this morning was all about dismissing him, and that's all. Unless there was no inkling how England felt about the matter, which I find unlikely. And Root was certainly in a position to do something about it, but was either too weak or too misguided.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
For me it's the combination of bowling and batting that makes this the worst ever day. No argument that there have been loads of awful batting displays in my time, and this wasn't necessarily the worst of those. There may have been worse bowling displays, but I'm finding it harder to think of them. But I don't remember seeing both in the same day's play. Then again, I am getting old so I don't necessarily remember them now.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Given all the chat that must have been happening after Burmrah's bowling at Anderson, the coach should have drilled it into them that this morning was all about dismissing him, and that's all. Unless there was no inkling how England felt about the matter, which I find unlikely. And Root was certainly in a position to do something about it, but was either too weak or too misguided.
I suppose so, everyone in thread was sticking it to Anderson but it felt like it was his team mates who were incensed more than he. I don’t think it was preconceived. They lost their minds imo

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I think Englands selectors will decide it was Leach and Overtons piss-poor carrying of the drinks that caused this, and they'll drop them from the squad and carry on with the brave lads.
Moeen's performance means that they may as well release Leach now. Overton should play next time though.

Spark

Global Moderator
Strauss has it right. Too much emotion, tactical failings. Not sure you can land it at the coach’s door, not much he can do when it’s falling apart in a session.
Obviously this ultimately lands at the captain's feet, but wouldn't the coach be responsible for instilling the general sense of discipline and attention to detail within the team that demands that they keep their heads on the task at hand? That sounds vague, I know.

Spark

Global Moderator
Also unless the days are truly, catastrophically bad then the bad days always feel way worse when they're at home IMO. Just nowhere to hide.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Obviously this ultimately lands at the captain's feet, but wouldn't the coach be responsible for instilling the general sense of discipline and attention to detail within the team that demands that they keep their heads on the task at hand? That sounds vague, I know.
Makes sense to me. Perhaps Silverwood thought that they'd be professional enough to go about their job properly irrespective of how they felt about Bumrah. Big mistake, if so.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Sorry England, but the fact is your team is not good. At all. I'm not saying that to be a dick, but there's not a lot of point in being critical of a batting line-up that has very limited ability (Root aside)

Top 5 of Burns/Sibley/Hameed/Bairstow, I mean that's close to being unrivalled for lack of ability at Test level. Honestly, Sibley is one of the worst Test openers I've ever seen - and I am from New Zealand.

And yeah, the bowling at the tail was gash.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
please let’s not pretend we did not know these sorts of results are incoming before the start of the series. It was pretty much on the cards.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Sorry England, but the fact is your team is not good. At all. I'm not saying that to be a dick, but there's not a lot of point in being critical of a batting line-up that has very limited ability (Root aside)

Top 5 of Burns/Sibley/Hameed/Bairstow, I mean that's close to being unrivalled for lack of ability at Test level. Honestly, Sibley is one of the worst Test openers I've ever seen - and I am from New Zealand.

No problem mate, you're dead right. The other part of the gloom, doom and recriminations is how the heck have we ended up with a FC system where these guys are widely regarded as being as good as we're going to get? Because you won't find many of us naming any viable alternatives at any point this season.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
please let’s not pretend we did not know these sorts of results are incoming before the start of the series. It was pretty much on the cards.
Sure, losing to India is no disgrace. Ditto NZ back in June. But what we've seen today is not acceptable for a supposed test side. It's possible to lose without looking absolutely abysmal.

grecian

Moeen's performance means that they may as well release Leach now. Overton should play next time though.
Why he took 3-130 odd, and scored 40 runs. In the end the lack of left-handers is an hindrance.

Still think you should give your best spinner a go, actually if Woakes is back, don't see Cove playing, mind you as long as they get rid of Sam bloody Curran I'll be happy.

grecian

I think that was what we were shocked by our bowling has generally been fine, but I think the optimism we'd score over 180 was a bit unfounded. If Root didn't get about half of them, wasn't going to happen.

Think we are all aware how poor we are as a batting unit, and without Woakes and stokes to bail us out we are demonstrably worse.