• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India release squad for WTC and England Series

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Rohit Sharma, Shubman Gill, Mayank Agarwal, Cheteshwar Pujara, Virat Kohli (Captain), Ajinkya Rahane (vice-captain), Hanuma Vihari, Rishabh Pant (wicket-keeper), R. Ashwin, Ravindra Jadeja, Axar Patel, Washington Sundar, Jasprit Bumrah, Ishant Sharma, Mohd. Shami, Md. Siraj, Shardul Thakur, Umesh Yadav, KL Rahul (subject to fitness clearance), Wriddhiman Saha

What’s your playing XI for the championship?

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Two very well balanced side, Black Caps and India. Going to be some game the finals. India's spin options are better than NZ's, batting maybe NZ slightly ahead in UK conditions just because NZ conditions are a bit similar to UK, pace bowling both are equals. India maybe slightly ahead of NZ at this stage but maybe we can close out the gap having played two test matches prior.

Flem274*

123/5
good squad. sundar and shardul probably the two most opportunistic players in the world right now. from zero to hero and certain squad selections for long tours overnight.

these are also probably the conditions shardul is most likely to be consistently test standard in if india meme up the injuries again. will likely be a very quiet holiday for axar patel et al unless injuries.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Pain in the ass picking an India XI with Jadeja and Vihari back in the mix. Does Vihari offer significantly more than Jadeja the batsman? If not (which view I lean towards, notwithstanding Vihari's Sydney exploits) then we can play:

Rohit
Gill
Pujara
Kohli
Rahane
Pant
Jadeja
Ashwin
Ishant
Bumrah
Siraj

Just looks a stronger side all-around with Jadeja in it. Also Siraj over Shami but I doubt that will happen unless there's an injury.

Niall

International Coach
Vihari had an underwhelming county stint which wrapped up last week, so I don't think you can make a persuasive argument to pick him over Ravi who is a genuine test batsman and obviously still a gun bowler and fielder.

The above team with Sharma instead of Siraj is what they will go with .

All eyes for me on Rahane this series, he is a senior batsman who needs to contribute more than 1 big innings a test series.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Pain in the ass picking an India XI with Jadeja and Vihari back in the mix. Does Vihari offer significantly more than Jadeja the batsman? If not (which view I lean towards, notwithstanding Vihari's Sydney exploits) then we can play:

Rohit
Gill
Pujara
Kohli
Rahane
Pant
Jadeja
Ashwin
Ishant
Bumrah
Siraj

Just looks a stronger side all-around with Jadeja in it. Also Siraj over Shami but I doubt that will happen unless there's an injury.
I will go that too. Will be worried about openers but there aren't better alternatives.

Flem274*

123/5
gonna set myself up for humble pie here and say both rohit and gill are snickers, so id be tempted to elevate pujara and drop rohit to the middle order where he can play with freedom.

i wouldn't be dropping shami for siraj either. siraj looks class but shami is proven class and being a swing bowler should enjoy english conditions.

i do like the idea of playing both spinners though, even in england. those two have started touring well. if forced to only pick one id go jadeja purely for the fielding and the chance to bowl him at conway and taylor early in their innings.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i wouldn't be dropping shami for siraj either. siraj looks class but shami is proven class and being a swing bowler should enjoy english conditions.
Isn't Shami's English record kinda meh? Though I guess his 2014 series probably influences that.

The fact he didn't go full Sreesanth after that point was a big turning point in Indian pace stocks, IMO.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Shami is still showing signs of rust coming back from the injury. Siraj is in red hot form. For the one off game, its important to play the blokes most likely to do well and in form. I wont even mind them dropping Gill for Mayank for the same reason. Or even open with Vihari if he is more used to the English conditions as he can be a nice foil to the aggressive Rohit.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, Shami's natural length is kinda more shortish than it should in those conditions. He was genuinely unlucky in the 2018 series with edges going into the gaps and dropped catches, but there's some old-Ishant 'unluckiness' at play too.

Noumenon

U19 Vice-Captain
Thoughts on the possible squad that travels to Lanka for LOIs?

Batsmen

Shaw, Dhawan, Padikkal, Ruturaj, Surya, Ishan, Samson, N Rana, Iyer, Manish Pande. A left field Keeper bat selection could be Andhra's Ricky Bhui.

All Rounders

Pandya, Dube, Lalit Yadav, Harshal Patel, Krunal, Shankar

Bowlers

Natarajan, Khaleel, Deepal Chahar, Rahul Chahar, Bhuvi, Saini, Bishnoi, Chahal

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Its amazing that we can actually have like 40 players who can play international cricket. :wub:

After the dark days of the 90s, this is just amazing.