• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which team will win the series in India?

Flem274*

123/5
the most probable cause is if/when india get too cute and continue to produce decks where random batsmen are as useful as ashwin/jadeja with the ball.

i think it will be australia or england because they tour india the most, giving them the best look at conditions over the span of careers.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
the most probable cause is if/when india get too cute and continue to produce decks where random batsmen are as useful as ashwin/jadeja with the ball.

i think it will be australia or england because they tour india the most, giving them the best look at conditions over the span of careers.
TBF, I think even if we do that, over 4 tests or so, our team will win or at least draw the series. A side nicking a test in a 2 test series and drawing the other one seems more likely.

Spark

Global Moderator

Australia and England also have the financial and institutional resources to spend months if not years preparing the side for the conditions with A tours, preparatory camps in the subcontinent, national training centres where they could put in dustbowl pitches, all the video and data analysis money can buy etc etc.

England wouldn't have won in 2012 and we wouldn't have gotten as close as we did in 2017 without extensive preparation - preparation that, unfortunately, isn't particularly accessible for most Test nations.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Would be interesting if a World XI was put together to play a Test series in India, who would make it in?

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Rohit plus India’s players from no.6 and below

Rohit
Azhar/Karuna
Smith
Kohli
KW
Pant and co

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
World XI to play in India:
Karunaratne
Latham
Williamson (c)
Smith
Root
Rizwan (wk)
Stokes
Cummins
Wagner
Yasir Shah
Lyon

Or possibly drop Cummins for Babar Azam and stack the batting, although I don't know how Stokes would feel about batting at 8.

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
It’s unlikely we’ll ever return to the days of proper tours where teams arrive two months prior to the First Test and acclimatise by playing first class cricket against quality opposition. If you just turn up to play Tests and swap players in and out of the tour party you won't beat a good side in the Sub Continent.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Australia and England also have the financial and institutional resources to spend months if not years preparing the side for the conditions with A tours, preparatory camps in the subcontinent, national training centres where they could put in dustbowl pitches, all the video and data analysis money can buy etc etc.

England wouldn't have won in 2012 and we wouldn't have gotten as close as we did in 2017 without extensive preparation - preparation that, unfortunately, isn't particularly accessible for most Test nations.
England had a good team in 2012 with players who had experienced indian cinditions in 2006 and 2008 but they were also a bit lucky. They caught India when they were clearly in a transition phase and their most potent bowler at the time got injured after the first test.

Spark

Global Moderator
England had a good team in 2012 with players who had experienced indian cinditions in 2006 and 2008 but they were also a bit lucky. They caught India when they were clearly in a transition phase and their most potent bowler at the time got injured after the first test.
I'm always a bit confused when someone replies with something like this, as if luck is some mystical, legendary force from the distant past that surely will no longer apply in the future.

Spark

Global Moderator
World XI to play in India:
Karunaratne
Latham
Williamson (c)
Smith
Root
Rizwan (wk)
Stokes
Cummins
Wagner
Yasir Shah
Lyon

Or possibly drop Cummins for Babar Azam and stack the batting, although I don't know how Stokes would feel about batting at 8.
Williamson's record in India is pretty mediocre. He probably doesn't even make the side, let alone captaining it.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Williamson's record in India is pretty mediocre. He probably doesn't even make the side, let alone captaining it.
Yeah but he's a quality player of spin and clearly edges Smith as the best batsman in the world at the moment.

Otherwise Labuschagne is a decent alternative and another spin option.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
I'm always a bit confused when someone replies with something like this, as if luck is some mystical, legendary force from the distant past that surely will no longer apply in the future.
No my point is India lose rarely at home. To beat them You have either gotta be an exceptional side like Australia 2004, windies 83 or an experienced, decent side facing off an Indian side with issues e.g. England 84, 2012, rsa 2000.

Pakistan 87 probably the slight exception to this and even they just edged India courtesy of a good toss to win on a dicey bangalore wicket.