• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

5th Test at The Oval, London

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
It wasn't exactly competitive but Johnson in 13/14 is "why we watch this sport" material
oh no doubt, but as you say wasn't exactly a gripping contest, ashes series' that are done and dusted 3 games in are a bit of a disappointment personally

England are light years from winning down under at the moment, so don’t wait up.
Even when they did win it was rather dull, completely lopsided games that had results and a runfest at the Gabba

Spark

Global Moderator
Can I just say how catastrophically stupid it is that both sides get less points in the WTC for this series than NZ and SL did for winning a game each? Joke system.

91Jmay

International Coach
Can I just say how catastrophically stupid it is that both sides get less points in the WTC for this series than NZ and SL did for winning a game each? Joke system.
Aus at the very least should get same or more. 2 away wins.

Bijed

International Regular
Well played Wade, he did have me starting to get worried for a while

Pleased Leach picked up some wickets today, he's actually disappointed me with the ball a few times this series but he's put in so much effort with the bat he deserved to get some kind of reward, if unconnected

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Weird atmosphere. Everyone looks absolutely knackered and a bit down. Feels like they've just punched each other to a standstill.

Spark

Global Moderator
Weird atmosphere. Everyone looks absolutely knackered and a bit down. Feels like they've just punched each other to a standstill.
It's felt like that all game tbh. A particularly mistake-riddled affair, I think after the WC and then such a compressed, high-intensity series they're all just exhausted.

Even Smith was making mistakes.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Both teams were desperate to win but there was an edge missing all match. Both teams have a big “but” after it. England a negative and Australia a positive.

Bijed

International Regular
Really good series overall, that. Tbh, before it started I was expecting another 2015 - i.e a close overall scoreline (couldn't call who'd win though) but with all the matches being between fairly and totally one-sided. Best Ashes since 05 IMO

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Glad we won but it means very little after losing a week ago. Pleased for Leach to have taken wickets in a 4th innings. Guess both sides will be much changed next time we meet when we get gubbed down under.

hazsa19

International Regular
Feel like the last 2 games were lost on the first couple of days with sloppiness in the field, but other than that it’s been a great series to watch. Think 2-2 is just about fair in that we didn’t deserve to win and Aus didn’t deserve to lose, if that makes sense.

Jack1

International Debutant
Nice innings from Wade. Australia had a sniff when he was there. Good to see Leach in the wickets. Broad was like another man in the second innings compared to the first. As was Archer but the opposite effect. It's funny how that happens sometimes in test cricket.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Best summer of cricket in my lifetime. It's pretty bittersweet that it's over, but being able to reflect on it in its entirety is pretty satisfying, despite being unable to regain the Ashes.

Definitely going to miss the anticipation of every new game.

Flem274*

123/5
sucks for the fans but i don't feel sorry for the boards at all. reeks of 'how do we continue to not play bangladesh and other less fashionable sides in the wtc without getting called on rigging the system if points for each test are equal?'

Jack1

International Debutant
sucks for the fans but i don't feel sorry for the boards at all. reeks of 'how do we continue to not play bangladesh and other less fashionable sides in the wtc without getting called on rigging the system if points for each test are equal?'
Fair enough. I think I'll agree with you. Everyone should be fair game with everyone else. There's no point having this many test sides and then having teams like England (and others) refuse to play them (or if they do having one-off test series).