• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

5 Best ODI Batsmen of All Time

sumantra

U19 Cricketer
1. Virat Kohli
2. ABDV
3. Viv Richards
4. Sachin Tendulkar

For no. 5 slot there are many contenders. Ricky Ponting, Michael Bevan, MSD, Dean Jones and even for that matter, Greg Chappell's name spinning in my mind, is there anyone else you can think of for that number 5 or replace one or two from the top 4?

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Tough. I'll go 6 in the order of ODI debuts:

Vivian Richards
Sachin Tendulkar
Michael Bevan
MS Dhoni
AB deVilliers
Virat Kohli

That's the elitist of elite club. Can't decide who drops if I have to name 5.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
1. Virat Kohli
2. ABDV
3. Viv Richards
4. Sachin Tendulkar

For no. 5 slot there are many contenders. Ricky Ponting, Michael Bevan, MSD, Dean Jones and even for that matter, Greg Chappell's name spinning in my mind, is there anyone else you can think of for that number 5 or replace one or two from the top 4?
If you are creating a shortlist, you have to add Gordon Greenidge and Zaheer Abbas there.

Gob

International Coach
1. Virat Kohli
2. ABDV
3. Viv Richards
4. Sachin Tendulkar

Exactly my list with Dhoni at 5

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In Order:

1. Viv
2. ABDV
3. Kohli
4. Tendulkar
5. Zaheer Abbas

It's strange Zaheer so often gets overlooked in these discussions. 62 matches is easily enough of a sample to be indicative; and to average 47 and have a SR of 85 in an era the great Gordon Greenidge had a SR of 64 is just unreal. His record is almost the same as Viv's with a slightly inferior SR, and those two were streets ahead of the pack in the 70s and 80s.

OverratedSanity

Viv
Sachin
ABdV
Dhoni
Kohli

Obviously biased but I think there's a legitimate argument for all 3 of Sachin, MS and Kohli in the top 5.

Zinzan

Doesn't make my top 5, but when thinking about my 6-10 it's easy to forget Amla averages the same as Dhoni (51) & at a marginally superior SR.. and did so from opening/no 3, with only 11 not outs.

Is Amla the Chanderpaul of ODIs?

srbhkshk

International Captain
In Order:

1. Viv
2. ABDV
3. Kohli
4. Tendulkar
5. Zaheer Abbas

It's strange Zaheer so often gets overlooked in these discussions. 62 matches is easily enough of a sample to be indicative; and to average 47 and have a SR of 85 in an era the great Gordon Greenidge had a SR of 64 is just unreal. His record is almost the same as Viv's with a slightly inferior SR, and those two were streets ahead of the pack in the 70s and 80s.
It's really not, Hussey was averaging 67 @ 92 after 61 matches, he still retired with a great record but not with those godly numbers.

Last edited:

Zinzan

It's really not, Hussey was averaging 60 @ 90 after 70 matches, he still retired with a great record but not with those godly numbers.
Hussey didn't play in the 70s and 80s; and besides Hussey's SR wasn't as far above those in his era as Zaheer's was in against his contemporaries.

Zinzan

Also there's a decent case for Hussey making a top 15-20 of all time list.

srbhkshk

International Captain
You'd have a point if Hussey had played those 67 matches over a span of 11 years.
That's just one aspect of it, it took teams 6-7 years to figure out Kohli's weakness in this digital era, if he played just 5-6 matches each year they probably couldn't have done that. Maybe there was an area where you could bowl where Zaheer finds it easy to defend but hard to score off but you just didn't have enough info to figure that out.

Hussey didn't play in the 70s and 80s; and besides Hussey's SR wasn't as far above those in his era as Zaheer's was in against his contemporaries.
What's 70s and 80s got to do with that? His SR wasn't as much above, but his average was much more above his contemporaries as compared to Zaheer.

Zinzan

What's 70s and 80s got to do with that? His SR wasn't as much above, but his average was much more above his contemporaries as compared to Zaheer.
You serious? Averages were much lower in the 70/80s compared to this modern era, It has a lot to do with it.