• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

4th Test at the Gabba, Brisbane, 15 - 19 Jan 2021

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Thanks mate, as for the skipper as much as I love Smithy, I think his time as the leader of this team has kind of passed nor do I think Cricket Australia has any interest going back to him.

I believe in picking our best XI and then picking the leader from among them. From the current bunch Labuschagne will be my captain, I would love Patty Cummins to lead the test team but with amount of overs the poor lad is being made to bowl, a long injury layoff is around the corner for him.

Also would like to put it out there, everytime I hear someone say Head is a future captain, by brain heads to cringe-station.
Daily reminder that Head > Wade.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Probably the Australian player whose suffered the biggest reputation loss is Lyon.

Someone like Starc has always had the reputation of an infuriatingly unpredictable bowler but Lyon has always had the rep of being the steady hand who would always contribute when required.

Saw someone describe him on Reddit as a 100 Test playing Hauritz. Ouch!

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Wonder which players from each side have played their last tests.. would be interesting if this is Natarajan's solo test in his career

Smudge49

U19 12th Man
Daily reminder that Head > Wade.
Disagree with that, Wade has jumped many hoops to break back into this side. He left Victoria for Tassie so he could prove his batting cred on a tougher batting wicket, he made bucket load of runs, he came into a highly competitive Ashes away tour and scored couple of 100s.

However since then he got bumped up and down between 6 & 5, when the team couldn't find a test opener he was asked to open, then got bumped down into the middle order again.

I am sure his head will on the chopping block now, but this isn't how you settle a player into the team.

Compared to that, Head has won opportunities across formats on the back of being a "young exciting player" failing to nail his place in any of the formats.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Disagree with that, Wade has jumped many hoops to break back into this side. He left Victoria for Tassie so he could prove his batting cred on a tougher batting wicket, he made bucket load of runs, he came into a highly competitive Ashes away tour and scored couple of 100s.

However since then he got bumped up and down between 6 & 5, when the team couldn't find a test opener he was asked to open, then got bumped down into the middle order again.

I am sure his head will on the chopping block now, but this isn't how you settle a player into the team.

Compared to that, Head has won opportunities across formats on the back of being a "young exciting player" failing to nail his place in any of the formats.
Like I hear what you're saying about Wade and I get it, but he's not in our strongest test XI. He's on the fringes, but there's at least six batsmen in the country I'd rather have in the side instead.

Unfortunately he got picked for the wrong format. I think he'd have plugged a hole in the middle order in the ODI world cup rather nicely.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
I think Lyon will be fine for the short-medium term (2-3 years) but there does need to be some investment in other options - whether that be Swepson, Agar or maybe a Zampa/Pope combination out in the subcontinent.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Thanks mate, as for the skipper as much as I love Smithy, I think his time as the leader of this team has kind of passed nor do I think Cricket Australia has any interest going back to him.

I believe in picking our best XI and then picking the leader from among them. From the current bunch Labuschagne will be my captain, I would love Patty Cummins to lead the test team but with amount of overs the poor lad is being made to bowl, a long injury layoff is around the corner for him.

Also would like to put it out there, everytime I hear someone say Head is a future captain, by brain heads to cringe-station.
Welcome to the forum!

You'll fit in fine here.

And you'll dislike me at some point while you get used to the place.:ph34r:

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Does he even keep these days? Heard few people saying he isn't a regular keeper for his state side these days.
Don't think he is keeping in longer formats anymore but given that he is in national team for t20s, and possibly ODIs is keeping in those versions for Kerala.

Smudge49

U19 12th Man
Like I hear what you're saying about Wade and I get it, but he's not in our strongest test XI. He's on the fringes, but there's at least six batsmen in the country I'd rather have in the side instead.

Unfortunately he got picked for the wrong format. I think he'd have plugged a hole in the middle order in the ODI world cup rather nicely.
If you mean the guys that are doing ok at the Shield level right now, then haven't we already tried that with Patterson, Renshaw, Bancroft, Maddinson, Marcus Harris?

I think it's about picking guys who have a certain ability and attitude to succeed at this level.

Cricket gods worked their magic with Smith's concussion during the Ashes and the cricket world got a guy like Labuschagne, because otherwise with a FC average of 30 odd and a cold start to his test career, he would have probably been chucked back into the grinds of Shield cricket to claw his way back, god knows when.

I have nothing but my regards with young lads like Pucovski and Green, but when those guys are our young prodigies then Wade kinda feels like a remnant of our golden age of batting.

harsh.ag

If you mean the guys that are doing ok at the Shield level right now, then haven't we already tried that with Patterson, Renshaw, Bancroft, Maddinson, Marcus Harris?

I think it's about picking guys who have a certain ability and attitude to succeed at this level.

Cricket gods worked their magic with Smith's concussion during the Ashes and the cricket world got a guy like Labuschagne, because otherwise with a FC average of 30 odd and a cold start to his test career, he would have probably been chucked back into the grinds of Shield cricket to claw his way back, god knows when.

I have nothing but my regards with young lads like Pucovski and Green, but when those guys are our young prodigies then Wade kinda feels like a remnant of our golden age of batting.
Like Wade a lot more than PrinceEWS does, but Green looks to be better than him, and Pucovski even more so.

stephen

You're way overrating Wade's batting there. He has the talent, but not the temperament. He gives no confidence that he will ever bat above "decent wicketkeeper" level in tests because he continuously bats stupidly.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Aus need to start thinking beyond Lyon and Starc. It is very difficult to conceive Aus will persist with them despite terrible returns in this series, especially when it really mattered. Stsrc in particular will have his confidence shattered after being treated like IPL cannon fodder in the last innings, that too by likes of Gill, Pant and heck, even Pujara. I dont know where to start regarding Lyon. Twice when most needed, and having got the best possible opportunity, he has ended up screwing his teams chances. He never really looked like taking wickets today apart from two or three deliveries and had one owing to his counterpart playing a ****ing reverse sweep with 10 needed.

Wade has hardly done anything of note. So he has to go as well.

And Paine. He has done his job manfully and has probably slightly overstayed his welcome, both as captain and player. Losing one series at home is pretty bad, but losing two consecutive series at home to a depleted India is far worse. He had all resources at disposal and yet couldn't rally his players properly. And he didn't exactly lead fromthe front by dropping ****load of catches and batting quite mediocre.

Hard Times ahead. But Aus must rebuild.