• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

3rd Test at Headingley, Leeds

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not sure Stokes was capable of that at all. It was either 6, 4, dot or risky single.

Who was it btw who thre the ball to Lyon for his fumble. It was definitely the right height for Lyon, but could have been closer to the stumps.
I take it you left the wife to her sleep?

TestMatch

U19 Cricketer
And let's remember, Stokes took like 70 balls to make 4 runs. This whole innings was a masterclass in resilience, self-belief and controlled aggression.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Said it earlier today but got to think the slow batting from us yesterday really helped today. We basically played as though for a draw for long chunks and while it meant it took us a bloody long time to get the runs, we were facing very tired bowlers when it came to the crunch.

I think this match may have surpassed Edgbaston 05.
I think the drama of the missed run out and spurned review/incorrect decision at the end probably tips it for me.

burr

State Vice-Captain
And let's remember, Stokes took like 70 balls to make 4 runs. This whole innings was a masterclass in resilience, self-belief and controlled aggression.
It was that bit that was more impressive in a way. He's a phenomenon.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
It was the most complete and perfectly seamless linear progression through the batting gears that I've ever seen

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Did say when the sun is out it is easier to bat at Headingley. :ph34r:

Seen a few of the shots on TV. Wow, some serious stroke play by Stokes. Mad game to have won.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
How have we managed a more ridiculous chase than the World Cup final?

Managed to watch this hungover as **** on my mate's sofa with his phone propped up on a candlestick. Safe to say it cured the hangover.

Stokes' is the greatest sporting year for any individual I can think of. I know they downplay the redemptive nature of it, but it just adds to the narrative.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Said it earlier today but got to think the slow batting from us yesterday really helped today. We basically played as though for a draw for long chunks and while it meant it took us a bloody long time to get the runs, we were facing very tired bowlers when it came to the crunch.

I think the drama of the missed run out and spurned review/incorrect decision at the end probably tips it for me.
A lot of people reckon that with DRS Australia would have won in 05. But that assumes they would have had reviews left.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm looking forward to seeing the highlights on Channel 5 - it was very stressful live and I couldn't enjoy it properly

Uppercut

Yeah I remember when I had more time on my hands I’d argue with people using strike rate to judge batsmen. In a lot of the toughest situations it’s better to score slowly and I think this test really showed that.

trundler

Haha, the entire Ashes lore is built around legendary chokes. England 1886, Warwick Armstrong's 4-0, Australia winning after being 0-2, that upset under Benaud in the 50s, Headingley 81, Edgbaston 05, the 2011 series and so on. Not sure if Bodyline counts.