• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

3rd ODI at Canberra, 2 Dec 2020

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
SWaugh is actually a good example of what I'm talking about. Technically he was objectively pretty rubbish against the short ball in terms of playing it "how you should" and scoring off it, but mentally it didn't bother him at all and it meant that he pretty much never was actually troubled by it.
Took him time to get there though. The only reason he stopped trying to play the short ball was because he was troubled by it. And being unable to score off the bouncer is a pretty big drawback in LO cricket today tbh, which is pretty much the only reason we don't see Raina playing for India. Like I said though, I think Shreyas will work it out. Rohit was out to a few short balls in 2011-12 period and he overcame that.

Spark

Global Moderator
Took him time to get there though. The only reason he stopped trying to play the short ball was because he was troubled by it. And being unable to score off the bouncer is a pretty big drawback in LO cricket today tbh, which is pretty much the only reason we don't see Raina playing for India. Like I said though, I think Shreyas will work it out. Rohit was out to a few short balls in 2011-12 period and he overcame that.
It's not whether the short ball itself gets him out though. It's whether it messes up the rest of his game. What I saw yesterday was nowhere near the technically adept player that was heralded, he just could not get his feet moving at all.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not sure that's necessarily true. He played the hook shot fine but decided it was an unnecessary risk so just went overboard and opted to not play short bowling at all. He was never a guy who you'd say had a particularly big weakness against the short ball.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Not sure that's necessarily true. He played the hook shot fine but decided it was an unnecessary risk so just went overboard and opted to not play short bowling at all. He was never a guy who you'd say had a particularly big weakness against the short ball.
He did not decide he will shelve a shot that was getting him runs, mate. He shelved it coz he was getting out to it and was finding it tough to play any shot with any degree of control to the short ball. Which may be one of the reasons he was a middling batsman at best in ODI cricket compared to the great he was in tests, where you can duck and weave out of the bouncer all the livelong day.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
It's not whether the short ball itself gets him out though. It's whether it messes up the rest of his game. What I saw yesterday was nowhere near the technically adept player that was heralded, he just could not get his feet moving at all.
I never thought he was technically adept or great anyways, tbh. Just that he was a good enough player to be a long term international #4 for us in LO formats. And to that extent, I think he will be able to manage short pitch bowling going forward.

TheJediBrah

He did not decide he will shelve a shot that was getting him runs, mate. He shelved it coz he was getting out to it and was finding it tough to play any shot with any degree of control to the short ball. Which may be one of the reasons he was a middling batsman at best in ODI cricket compared to the great he was in tests, where you can duck and weave out of the bouncer all the livelong day.
Cricket's a funny game when Steve Waugh was great at Tests but not good at ODIs because he "couldn't play the short ball" and Michael Bevan was the opposite for the same reason. Really makes you think

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Cricket's a funny game when Steve Waugh was great at Tests but not good at ODIs because he "couldn't play the short ball" and Michael Bevan was the opposite for the same reason. Really makes you think
Except the bevan short ball stuff was a load of horse**** people devised as a way to explain why a guy with a first class average in the high 50's couldn't play at test level. Bevan's issues at test level where mental and had nothing to do with issues against a particular type of bowling.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
TBF, Steve Waugh played mostly in the era where any ball that bounced above shoulder height was a no-ball. So, there maybe more reasons for his relative lack of success in ODIs than that alone. But in today's LO game, you need to have scoring options against the short ball. That is just how the game is today. Don't think someone trying the Steve Waugh principle will play too much LO cricket at the international level now.

TheJediBrah

Except the bevan short ball stuff was a load of horse**** people devised as a way to explain why a guy with a first class average in the high 50's couldn't play at test level. Bevan's issues at test level where mental and had nothing to do with issues against a particular type of bowling.
Oh yes I'm well aware of that

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Steve Waugh could and did okay the hook shot but put it away after he got out to it a few times. Short pitched bowling didn't trouble him. He faced Ambrose, Walsh and Donald more than most people ffs.

Iyer has looked about as capable against the short ball as Marcus Harris. Possibly less. He's someone Australia figured out in his first innings here. Dire.

TheJediBrah

Steve Waugh could and did okay the hook shot but put it away after he got out to it a few times. Short pitched bowling didn't trouble him. He faced Ambrose, Walsh and Donald more than most people ffs.

Iyer has looked about as capable against the short ball as Marcus Harris. Possibly less. He's someone Australia figured out in his first innings here. Dire.
Idc about the Iyer argument, he has time to come good. But the Steve Waugh was just a terrible example, because you are absolutely right. He was never really "troubled" by short bowling.