• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2nd Test, Lord's, London

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Would be very surprised if they dropped anyone other than Ali. Maybe Denly at a push.

Denly was at least in part picked because he was a bowling option in Sri Lanka, it feels like he kind of ended up in the team by mistake.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Noticed a video clip of him bowling a fast bouncer but would like to see that being done over a span of 5 days....He could either blow the Aussies away with uncomfortable pace or be a total bust.
He won't blow them away with pace. They play and practice against his kind of pace all the time. If he's taking poles he's doing it with a bit of pace, bounce and movement on a good length.

Lot of pressure on him, but with he, Woakes and Broad it's a good pace attack for Lord's. My understanding is Woakes has a crazy record at the ground. Sometimes you find a new, exciting player (especially a bowler) adds a lot of energy to s aide, and dog knows England needs that.

I think he'll bowl well. Will be a good battle between he, Warner and Smith.

Burgey

Different format, different players. And they won anyway.

If england want to win the series they need couple of bats to catch fire. The way things are atm, even if they skittle Australia for 150, they’re not going to make m/any more themselves.

I’m looking forward to watching him bowl though.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hildreth getting a gig and scoring a ton would be so funny. So many wasted years not giving him a chance

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Burns
Roy
Root
Northeast
Stokes
Buttler
Curran
Woakes
Archer
Broad
Leach

It does the 6 bowlers thing that you should never do but it is so easy to end up doing it with England and feel like Curran should be in there, could just play Foakes though. If you were putting together a normal team then really want another batsman in there and I would much rather have Stokes at 6 and Buttler at 7. If Pope had not been injured all season (I think he is just back) then he could bat 5 and you don't play Curran.

Who knows if Northeast would be any better than the rest we have tried but got to think he is a better batsman than Denly

In reality it will just be Archer in for Anderson and Leach in for Moeen.

Any idea how Northeast is going this year? I genuinely haven't a clue.

Other than that query, that would be my team too. Including swapping Stokes and Buttler, even if Stokes isn't keen to bat in the top 5. As you suggest, it seems crazy that Curran is deemed surplus to requirements even if we need six bowlers to have him in the side.

TheJediBrah

a Lord's road would be nice indeed

PatCumStarc would still be dangerous but other than maybe Archer the poms will be very nice to face

Woodster

International Captain
Any idea how Northeast is going this year? I genuinely haven't a clue.

Other than that query, that would be my team too. Including swapping Stokes and Buttler, even if Stokes isn't keen to bat in the top 5. As you suggest, it seems crazy that Curran is deemed surplus to requirements even if we need six bowlers to have him in the side.
Gone really well in the Championship scoring 815 runs at 62.69, get him in!

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I've seen a few suggestions that Starc will replace Siddle. I don't really like Cummins+Starc+Pattinson as a bowling unit. I feel as though Cummins is a lock and its a battle between either Patto and Starc for one spot and Siddle and Hazlewood for the other.

Uppercut

Would be very surprised if they dropped anyone other than Ali. Maybe Denly at a push.

Denly was at least in part picked because he was a bowling option in Sri Lanka, it feels like he kind of ended up in the team by mistake.
I don't really understand the point of Denly. They have no openers and lots of middle-order options, yet they've brought a thoroughly mediocre 33-year-old county opener in to bat 4.

Feels like they made a series of decisions that each made some kind of sense in isolation, but the end result is totally illogical.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Archer's in fine nick
How newspapers are dumb enough to suggest taking 6-for and scoring 100 in a 2nd XI game boosts his Ashes chances, certainly confirms we shouldn't read them in the first place.

And I dunno if I'm being soft but rocking up bowling - apparently a **** load of - short stuff to teenaged 2nd XI batsmen seems pretty off.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Debut Hildreth I don't even care that it'd be a horrible decision.

He's always in the worst form at the worst times :(

Gob

International Coach
I've seen a few suggestions that Starc will replace Siddle. I don't really like Cummins+Starc+Pattinson as a bowling unit. I feel as though Cummins is a lock and its a battle between either Patto and Starc for one spot and Siddle and Hazlewood for the other.
paaace

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
How newspapers are dumb enough to suggest taking 6-for and scoring 100 in a 2nd XI game boosts his Ashes chances, certainly confirms we shouldn't read them in the first place.

Perhaps it's more to do with confirming his fitness rather than his actual figures in the match.

Tom Flint

International Regular

And I dunno if I'm being soft but rocking up bowling - apparently a **** load of - short stuff to teenaged 2nd XI batsmen seems pretty off.
Did you even watch the highlights? Most wickets were caught behind driving and at least one bowled.