• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2nd Test at the MCG, Melbourne, 26 Dec - 30 Dec 2020

Spark

Global Moderator
To recap what we know: Kohli and Shami definitely out for India, Pucovski definitely unavailable for Australia, unclear on Warner at this point.

TimAngas

State Vice-Captain
Is there a chance Rahul opens and Gill plays down the order? You wouldn't want to end up scarring your two most promising young bats in the same tour by playing them in a really unenviable role. Rahul at least has heaps of runs against this attack already and doesn't seem like the kind of guy to be intimidated (although neither does Gill).

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Is there a chance Rahul opens and Gill plays down the order? You wouldn't want to end up scarring your two most promising young bats in the same tour by playing them in a really unenviable role. Rahul at least has heaps of runs against this attack already and doesn't seem like the kind of guy to be intimidated (although neither does Gill).
Like a role that Joshua Da Silva plays for us at the moment? He’s an opening batsman.

At least Rahul’s opened in tests before...and him and Mayank have good chemistry batting together.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Hopefully this side plays and we play well. Not gonna dare to hope much this time, we are gonna go down 4-0, juz hoping we play well and make it a contest for them.

Mayank
Rahul
Pujara
Vihari
Rahane
Pant (wk)
Jaddu
Ashwin
Saini
Umesh
Bumrah

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Hopefully this side plays and we play well. Not gonna dare to hope much this time, we are gonna go down 4-0, juz hoping we play well and make it a contest for them.

Mayank
Rahul
Pujara
Vihari
Rahane
Pant (wk)
Jaddu
Ashwin
Saini
Umesh
Bumrah
I would seriously consider Gill for Vihari, unfair as it might be to the latter, but he looked out of his depth both digs (might just be the lack of cricket he's had, but we don't have the luxury of playing him into form here), and Natarajan for Saini who's going to be a leaky faucet for sure. Also, make Gill open and Rahul come in at 4. And screw the defeatist talk, I want them to feel the anger that only abject humiliation brings about. Hopefully Shastri downs a few patiala pegs and tells them they had the Aussies on the ropes for two days and it's just the half hour of once-in-a-lifetime voodoo that's cost them the match. One full month of cricket left, not there just to make up the numbers.

Last edited:

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Anyone but Saini, really. I know I'm being harsh on him, but he gives off immensely stubborn vibes which are going to be hard to rein in in Kohli's absence. Got pace but no lateral movement, fancies his short stuff no end, and hasn't half the nous to use it appropriately.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd probably just open with Pujara tbh. If he can blunt the new ball then that's job done really, and allows the more dynamic middle-order to potentially flourish
I'd go Agarwal, Pujara, Vihari, KL Rahul, Rahane, Gill, Saha, Ashwin, Umesh, Siraj, Bumrah

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd probably just open with Pujara tbh. If he can blunt the new ball then that's job done really, and allows the more dynamic middle-order to potentially flourish
I'd go Agarwal, Pujara, Vihari, KL Rahul, Rahane, Gill, Saha, Ashwin, Umesh, Siraj, Bumrah
Yeah brilliant. Bat your best batsman out of position.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Haha ok. I hardly think Pujara would be flustered if he'd be asked to open, and with the alternatives being Gill or KL Rahul, does it really matter? Rohit will be back for the 3rd test anyway

Daemon

Natarajan would be a poor selection, lets not completely disregard all due process and logic, which while not perfect, led to us having a 60 run lead and being in prime position to win a test match.

Siraj comes in for Shami, I think that’s straightforward. Saini didn’t show anything promising in the warm ups.

I would play Gill because he has a lot of upside to him. Not fussed if Rahul plays instead though.

I would still keep Vihari around because he’s got good temperament and can build partnerships.

We need extra batting so Pant in for Saha.

Jadeja in for Kohli because 5 bowlers are necessary.

Burgey

Nostrils will step up and comfortably be India's best bowler at Melbourne.

I agree with Daemon (yewwwww) re the need for five bowlers and on Vihari. Jadeja will strengthen the lower order batting too, which was woeful in Adelaide. Not sold on Pant who I think is a slogger, and what he gives you in runs might be given back in missed chances esp up to the stumps if you're playing two spinners. But, having said that I just typed out a line up with Saha and jadeja at six and seven and nearly fell off my chair laughing, so Pant it is. Also, one of Gill or Agarwal presumably misses the third test as Rohit comes back in. Bit of a one-off all or nothing for Gill then I suppose. But Shaw can't be maintained with that looseness up front. The kid is a walking wicket right now, and to be honest, you can see it's aged him terribly :ph34r:

I'd probably run with

Gill
Agarwal
Pujara
Rahul
Vihari
Pant
Jadeja
Ashwin
Nostrils
Random pacer who will bowl too short and straight and get pummeled
Bumrah

Actually quite like Rahul & Vihari at 4 & 5 with Kohli out. Like both of them as players. They'd kill for Pandya to be fit to bowl right now and play instead of one of the spinners in these conditions.

India willing to sacrifice a less favoured child to win the toss and bat first. Massive problems if they don't given the make up of that attack.