• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2nd Test at Adelaide - 16 to 20 Dec

TimAngas

State Vice-Captain
Selectors would seriously be taking the piss if they think opening with Street and Harris is the best we can do.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Selectors would seriously be taking the piss if they think opening with Street and Harris is the best we can do.
I get what you mean with harris but street really isn't that bad is he? Bit raw and probably want a harris/wade 2017 style shield season or more australia-A runs before he debuts, but theres definitely potential there. Averaging 40 as an opener playing on the kinda decks QLD usually role out isn't easy.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
I've seen this before. Hope going into the day/night Adelaide test at 0-1 down.

"Oh but England's bowling is more suited. They're definitely favourites here. Could still win this series you know."

Not happening.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I've seen this before. Hope going into the day/night Adelaide test at 0-1 down.

"Oh but England's bowling is more suited. They're definitely favourites here. Could still win this series you know."

Not happening.
England might do well to avoid sub 100 scores if they meet the right/wrong conditions. If the ball gets hooping at dusk, the techniques in their top order just aren't up to handling it. Starc and Cummins are pink ball beasts. Agree with what you're saying, it ain't happening. And is England's bowling more suited? Their records in pink ball Tests say not. Techniques might be exposed and Australia's>>>>>England in that respect.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Rather have England's bowling options going into this game now that H'wood's out.
Cummins/Starc/Richardson or Neser and a bit of Green v Broad/Anderson/Robinson/maybe Wood and a bit of Stokes seems pretty even, if not Australia's advantage given their pink ball prowess and form. To me anyway

Flem274*

123/5
I do think this will be closer due to England having a world class attack for lights, but Australia have that too and the better batting.

I think one session will decide the game where unfortunate timing causes a bit of a rout under lights with a new rock.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You'd probably still think they'd replicate at least those home results, purely because their bowling is still perfectly fine. But yeah it's the higher quality attacks that have exposed them horribly, plus I don't think covid quarantineball was exactly fair on the touring sides in terms of getting quality prep for the conditions.

Also there's quite a record now of a new English bat getting picked for Tests with a middling record but in good form, and their good form carries them for a bit, but then international attacks work them out and everyone sees that, really, they aren't especially good Test batsmen.
They desperately need a serviceable spinner to be competitive away from home. Doesn't have to be a world beater, but someone who can bowl long spells when not much is happening and keep things tight. One of the reasons India won here was because they basically shut Lyon down as an effective option. Cummins said last year before that series Lyon is the most important bowler in the side. It's probably worth England's while to have a crack at him this series like India did, because if he's nullified like Leach was for England in the first test, it really makes things tough on the rest of the bowlers.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, pink ball test under lights in Adelaide does not equal green seamer at an overcast Headingley.

Too much being made of these being more favourable conditions for England.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, pink ball test under lights in Adelaide does not equal green seamer at an overcast Headingley.

Too much being made of these being more favourable conditions for England.
I'd say they are more friendly, especially compared to the standard Sydney and Melbourne conditions. Both Anderson and Broad swung the ball plenty last time, though they both bowled too short initially and Broad still bowled crap, and Australia declared on 8/442.

But those conditions apply equally to our bowlers and Richardson is even more of a swing bowler than Starc or Haze. If the gap closes it's because Anderson and Broad are better bowlers than whoever they're replacing, not because the conditions are more advantageous for England.

I think this idea of the DN tests being a bit of a lottery is crap. And there's no guarantee the pitch will be as friendly as last time. What if the groundsman prepares one like for the Pakistan test, which was much tougher to bowl on and where Lyon picked up a five-for?

Shady Slim

International Coach
tsk tsk

i would have given radelaide to BIG NES and probably used jhye in melbourne if haze was still out unless big nes did really well which i would hope that he does