• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2nd Semi Final - Australia v India (26th March)

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Thanks SJS for reminding us that we weren't favourites. I did not know that and with that information I have now overcome my disappointment at India's loss.
:)

It was not meant to help you overcome the disappointment. I haven't overcome mine. Glad to be of service ;)

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
If we were 92% off our game then on a good day Australia would be bowled out for 3 and we would score 2300.
erm for that they'd have to hit 300 sixes in 300 balls. That still leaves them 500 runs short. Even if it was Murali chucking away with good old Darrell Hair on the field, we wouldn't have enough extra deliveries.

Get your **** together.
Guys, I am disappointed at India's loss too. BUT I DID NOT GET MAD!

veganbob

U19 Captain
Lol at people comparing kohli to sachin. Hes a superb player but sachin would almost always make the world xi. Kohli would not make either the world xi in tests or odis atm.

Riggins

International Captain
Lol at people comparing kohli to sachin. Hes a superb player but sachin would almost always make the world xi. Kohli would not make either the world xi in tests or odis atm.
He obviously wouldn't make the new zealand teams but he's still pretty good.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Kohli would bat 5 in our ODI team. We'd make room in our Test team too IMO. Not 100% sure how but we would.

Probably Baz to open and Kohli at 5 there too.

cnerd123

likes this
Haven't read most of the thread so pardon if this has been said before.

I see a lot of parallels between this semi and the NZ/SA one. NZ and India were both set steep runchases. Both got off to fliers. Both lost the blazing opener and star number 3 batsman in quick succession, leaving a misfiring number 4 and an opener with an ODI 200 at the crease.

When Corey met Elliot at the crease, NZ needed 149 runs in 128 balls at 6.9 RPO
When Dhonit met Rahane at the crease, India needed 221 runs in 162 balls at 8.1 RPO

Dhoni and Rahane had the steeper runchase, sure, but they way they approached it is in stark contrast to how Elliot and Corey did. Those two ran hard, looked for gaps, and tried to find the fence every now and then to ensure the RR never climbed too far out of reach. MSD and Rahane however, just sate back and played each ball on it's merit, let the pressure build, and showed 0 intent. They went 8 overs without a boundary at one stage.

There were other differences in the runchases too. ABDV brought Duminy on after the second wicket fell, and instead of seeing him off NZ attacked him. They didn't let ABDV get cheap overs out of fifth bowler and forced him to bring the strike bowlers back on right away, leaving ABDV himself bowling 3 overs at the death. But when Clarke brought Maxwell on at the fall of the second wicket, India sat back at let him wheel out five overs for just 18 runs.

It was such a disappointing effort from India. As soon as Kohli fell it looked like they gave up. And you can forgive Dhawan for getting out playing his game, you can forgive Kohli for succumbing to pressure on the big stage in a tournament where he has been out of touch, you can forgive Nohit for being a useless **** because he is always a useless ****, and you can even forgive Raina and Rahane being out of their depth. But MSD's inning was just awful. The captain needs to lead from the front. He came out at a time when India weren't totally out of the game yet. He could have counter-attacked. He could have tried to seize some momentum back. He could have hustled quick runs, biffed the odd boundary, fought hard for his side. Instead he tried to nurdle the bowlers around and push them into the gaps. He played soft, weak, pointless cricket, only opening up to hit Watson for two sixes when the match was all but lost.

It was so, so, so disappointing. I would have been okay with us being bowled out for under 200 if we had atleast showed some intent or desire to win the game. Yes the Aussies outclassed us in all 3 departments. Yes they were the better team. But that doesn't mean you sit back and let cruise to the victory. Show some fight. Show some desire. Show some pride ffs.

Last edited:

viriya

International Captain
When Corey met Elliot at the crease, NZ needed 149 runs in 128 balls at 6.9 RPO
When Dhonit met Rahane at the crease, India needed 221 runs in 162 balls at 8.1 RPO
I'm sorry but these 2 situations are so different. India were already in <5% win odds territory while NZ were actually close to 50-50. Blame should be on Dhawan/Rohit/Kohli more than anything.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Or maybe Dhoni's way of "showing a fight" wasn't to come in and smash sixes from ball one. Excusing all batsmen but Dhoni for the chase is absolutely ridiculous. He needs some degree of support and he has to play with the approach that he feels he is most comfortable with. I posted this in another thread but I'll post it again:

I think Rahane has to take a bit of criticism as well, Dhoni was around a run a ball for about his first 25 or so runs, meaning he got a partnership going but Rahane was just stuck, he didn't rotate the strike well enough when he came in. Just can't expect Dhoni to play a blinder. When India reached 150/4 at the 32nd over Dhoni was 25 (26) and Rahane was 28 (54). India needed 179 of 108 balls. You add say 15 runs to Rahane's innings at that point and subtract 15 from the total and its roughly a little over 9 and over with a batting PP. Even that would only give you an outside chance at best for victory. Dhoni literally had no support in any meaningful way, so anyone criticizing him would be doing so for not basically scoring some 120 off 60 or something. The only legit criticism for Dhoni would be to not bat ahead of Raina, but Raina was in good enough form and has been in similar pressure situations so get a partnership going as well so there's that.
Also comparing this to the SA chase is rubbish, Australia's bowling attack is way better than Saffas, not to mention that McCullum's innings was a genuine flyer whereas Dhawan's was just a good start. India were outclassed, its as simple as that.

cnerd123

likes this
Oh I blame Rahane too. I'd blame them all bar Dhawan. My point is that even if you could find excuses for every batsman in the side, you can excuse the total indifference of MSD's approach to this runchase.

Sure take a few balls to get your eye in. But he was nudging and prodding until the rrr reached 15 ffs. He just never launched. He took his time, took his time, and killed off the chase.

It's not even a case of him not being good enough, or not being able to clear the fence. He just didn't ****ing try. Atleasr Rahane was trying to score, he just looked out of his depth doing so.

India were outclassed yes, I am not disappointed about the loss. Didn't expect a win to begin with. But I expected them to show some fight and Dhoni was massively disappointing in that regard.