• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2nd June - Group A - Australia v New Zealand

Who will win this match?

• Australia

Votes: 12 63.2%
  • New Zealand

Votes: 7 36.8%

• Total voters

Howsie

International Captain
Or for Broom, forgot he existed there for a minute. I've come round to the idea of Neesh at 5 instead of 6.
Yep, something I mentioned myself last week. Broom just isn't good enough against this level of bowling, he's a waste of space really. Whilst Neesham isn't really a 'come in and clear the ropes batsman' at this level either, so he's wasted at six. When he was given a chance up the order he really did show a thing or two (or given time to play himself in) Neesham at five really would improve this team quite a lot I reckon.

In saying that though, that would mean de Grandhomme would come in and what's he going to bring to the table, a quick 10-15 at best.

Howsie

International Captain
I can't wait to see Milne bat for a length of time one day either. He genuinely looked to have a better technique then both Neesham and Anderson against the short ball. I guess I can see why he bats at seven in FC cricket sometimes.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Yep, something I mentioned myself last week. Broom just isn't good enough against this level of bowling, he's a waste of space really. Whilst Neesham isn't really a 'come in and clear the ropes batsman' at this level either, so he's wasted at six. When he was given a chance up the order he really did show a thing or two (or given time to play himself in) Neesham at five really would improve this team quite a lot I reckon.

In saying that though, that would mean de Grandhomme would come in and what's he going to bring to the table, a quick 10-15 at best.
Broom did score a 73 off 75 against Aus earlier this year ... but he's not really the come in and bash it around type of player, either. Move Neesham up and I think you've got even more of a problem of the batting falling away completely after the five is out. I'm not sure I really see a solution in the current squad.

Howsie

International Captain
Broom did score a 73 off 75 against Aus earlier this year ... but he's not really the come in and bash it around type of player, either. Move Neesham up and I think you've got even more of a problem of the batting falling away completely after the five is out. I'm not sure I really see a solution in the current squad.
Yep, but that's been his only score against a team that wasn't Bangladesh or Ireland since he's come back. It's enough innings imo against South Africa and Australia to prove he isn't up to this level anyway.....

Yeah, perhaps. But Anderson six, CdG seven, Santner eight and Milne nine wouldn't be the worst 6-9 we've ever fielded.

Howsie

International Captain
Play some more batsman ffs.

Smith and Warner, is that really all Australia have? Finch is a scrub, as is Maxwell. Henriques isn't a number four, I haven't seen enough of Head but last I saw he was opening, and Wade is a joke.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
**** we got lucky there.
You can't say that with TPC still at the crease. Warner was always going to miss out because it's not being played in Australia. Disappointing Finch didn't get many but Henriqiues getting out really isn't that big a deal tbh and there was still Maxwell, Head and Wade to come. We'd have chased it down inside 40 overs if it hadn't rained. Bowlers will be better for the run too. Good to see an obligatory lolWade moment with that missed run out too. A typical Australian away from home LO performance tbh, just tragically cut short of an inevitable victory.

Not that I watched it.

Burgey

Smith and Warner, is that really all Australia have? Finch is a scrub, as is Maxwell. Henriques isn't a number four, I haven't seen enough of Head but last I saw he was opening, and Wade is a joke.

Would all walk one-legged into the NZ team tbh.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I can't wait to see Milne bat for a length of time one day either. He genuinely looked to have a better technique then both Neesham and Anderson against the short ball. I guess I can see why he bats at seven in FC cricket sometimes.
He actually had a go at six this season. He can seriously bat; he plays the world's prettiest cricket IMO.

Spark

Global Moderator

Welcome to following Australian ODI cricket for the last two years.

Long-Hop

Cricket Spectator
England were the winners yesterday, how come they aren't in the poll............? 8-)

Said before the game that the organisers who've cancelled a number of peace ups in breweries in their time, would fudge it with a ridiculous approach to dealing with the weather. For every hour lost they should reduce the overs by 10 per side, this isn't hindsight it's fairly logical. You need to bowl more than 15 overs in an hour so taking out 20 makes a fair degree of sense, not trying to play the maximum might be bowled without further interruptions.

Last time they played here they managed SIXTY FIVE overs between them and no result, this time it was 54 overs and still no result despite both games managing more than the 40 overs that would give you a minimum 20 per side and therefore a result...... I appreciate the paying spectator and probably s*y would not be happy unless as much cricket as possible were played, but I'd suggest a result and losing a few overs is better than seeing one side bat and the game fizzle into a draw.

Yesterday also reminded me how much I hate Duckworth Lewis, not in its use to determine a result but in the fact that everyone knows what the target is at any given point during the chase so sides can use it like a map showing where they need to be and at what time. Wasn't there a bit of a farce when England played India (?) some years ago and there was some shenanigans, possibly delaying tactics because one of the sides was at the DL score/wickets they needed to be to win and then possible somehow it was gotten wrong and that was only the score to tie or something.

Sides should play to win by batting to the planned conclusion of the match not playing to "be ahead"

Daemon

Yesterday also reminded me how much I hate Duckworth Lewis, not in its use to determine a result but in the fact that everyone knows what the target is at any given point during the chase so sides can use it like a map showing where they need to be and at what time. Wasn't there a bit of a farce when England played India (?) some years ago and there was some shenanigans, possibly delaying tactics because one of the sides was at the DL score/wickets they needed to be to win and then possible somehow it was gotten wrong and that was only the score to tie or something.

Sides should play to win by batting to the planned conclusion of the match not playing to "be ahead"
I don't like it either, but what's the alternative?

Spark

Global Moderator
England were the winners yesterday, how come they aren't in the poll............? 8-)

Said before the game that the organisers who've cancelled a number of peace ups in breweries in their time, would fudge it with a ridiculous approach to dealing with the weather. For every hour lost they should reduce the overs by 10 per side, this isn't hindsight it's fairly logical. You need to bowl more than 15 overs in an hour so taking out 20 makes a fair degree of sense, not trying to play the maximum might be bowled without further interruptions.

Last time they played here they managed SIXTY FIVE overs between them and no result, this time it was 54 overs and still no result despite both games managing more than the 40 overs that would give you a minimum 20 per side and therefore a result...... I appreciate the paying spectator and probably s*y would not be happy unless as much cricket as possible were played, but I'd suggest a result and losing a few overs is better than seeing one side bat and the game fizzle into a draw.

We aren't Americans; there's nothing wrong with a draw if you can't reach a result in a fair manner.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Cummins seems to get absolutely smashed every other game. The amount of times he'll get hit for back-to-back boundaries seems so high for a front line quick.