• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

29-6

telsor

U19 12th Man
C_C said:
You can get a 1 Gb RAM (error correction) with 3 Ghz processor and stuff for a few thousand dollards here.
Buy the products from competent third world technological firms(India or China) and you can halve the price.
The difference between a 'jumped up PC' like you're describing and a server is the internal architecture, things like the busses, and to get these things right costs serious $'s.

.......... thats 15 million grand total.
Considering the profit ICC turns over yearly, thats chump change really.
The last 3 annual reports show......
2001/2002 loss of 4.8 million
2002/2003 profit of 10.6 million
2003/2004 loss of 6.3 million

(guess when the world cup was :) )

If you roll it all together, in those 3 years, they had income of ~247M and spent 194M on payments to members ( all in 2002/2003 as prizemoney and the like from the world cup ) and 20M on development. ( most of the rest is administrative stuff and event running costs).

I don't see a spare $15M anywhere, indeed, excluding the WC, that's more than their combined income in a year.

Do you want to tell Kenya that there funding is cut radically because the test playing countries can't accept the umpires decision?

meh. players agreeing is a recipe for disaster and ill will. Lets not go there.
Good point, but really, who would want to umpire such a game? You have to stand out there for 6+hours per day, and the only think you're allowed to do is make decisions that there is absolutely no doubt about and refer everything else to the machine and if your attention drifts, you've got hell to pay.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Typical example of blaming the Umpires for the loss. Even if the decisions were 29-6 in favour of Pakistan, they wouldn't have been able to win the Test/ODI series. Pakistani and Indian fans look for excused after every series loss. This time it is no different. Losers.

And to be fair to John Buchanan, I dont think he has whinned about about umpires, ever.

C_C

International Captain
The difference between a 'jumped up PC' like you're describing and a server is the internal architecture, things like the busses, and to get these things right costs serious $'s.
depends really how high quality a server you want. You can get medium quality servers for a few thousand dollars here.

The last 3 annual reports show......
2001/2002 loss of 4.8 million
2002/2003 profit of 10.6 million
2003/2004 loss of 6.3 million
and a big part of that 'developmental money' can go to finance this.

Good point, but really, who would want to umpire such a game? You have to stand out there for 6+hours per day, and the only think you're allowed to do is make decisions that there is absolutely no doubt about and refer everything else to the machine and if your attention drifts, you've got hell to pay.
well who wants to umpire in a chess match ?
As usual, you always find people for the job.

Typical example of blaming the Umpires for the loss.
care to show me ANYWHERE on this thread where i blamed the loss on the umpire ?
this is not about loss or win. This is about the integrity of the game.

Pakistani and Indian fans look for excused after every series loss. This time it is no different. Losers.
Yes, i am sure bob woolmer, mark richardson, etc. are all pakistani/indian fans.

Next time, engage brain before fingers, sil vous plait!

8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Sanz said:
Pakistani and Indian fans look for excused after every series loss. This time it is no different. Losers.
A bit of a generalisation there, isn't it?

I don't care what race or nationality you are, whether you are actually Indian or Pakistani and saying it, or any other nationality, you can't categorise everyone.

Plus I never kne Mark Richardson was Indian, maybe he would have solved our opener problem a little while back. :)

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
I was talking about those fans who pop up on Internet forums after every series loss offering excuses. Why cant they be little gracious in defeat. As for Mark Richardson, does he visit Cricketweb ? Has he opened any thread lately ? :D

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Interesting to note that when the Aussie team was regularly getting b0rked by teams in the 80's, all players and supporters did was whine about the umpires (particularly in Pakistan! The Aussie team almost abandoned the tour, in fact).

What was the response? Make it so that the decisions didn't affect the outcome of the game so much by just playing better, doing things like fielding/catching better, etc.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Top_Cat said:
Interesting to note that when the Aussie team was regularly getting b0rked by teams in the 80's, all players and supporters did was whine about the umpires (particularly in Pakistan! The Aussie team almost abandoned the tour, in fact).

What was the response? Make it so that the decisions didn't affect the outcome of the game so much by just playing better, doing things like fielding/catching better, etc.
Well they certainly weren't the only ones to whine about the Umpiring in Pakistan, we can say that much.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sanz said:
Typical example of blaming the Umpires for the loss. Even if the decisions were 29-6 in favour of Pakistan, they wouldn't have been able to win the Test/ODI series.
The Tests, certainly, but I think given how relatively close the two ODI finals were it's possible that they'd have done better had the Umpiring been spot-on.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
C_C said:
I will give you an example of how technology is superior.
In NHL(Ice Hockey- i follow it regularly..or rather, used to before the lockout) the % of disputed calls went down by 95% after technology took over the decisionmaking and was not simply dependent on the eye of the referree on ground.
The 5% discrepancy has almost always been on extraordinary circumstances( the goal post getting knocked out of groove and the puck crossing the line almost simultaneously) or by the error of the tv refferees.
Oh great, so technology is great in Ice Hockey.

How many judgement calls are there in deciding if the puck crossed the line or not - none, because that is a fact - like run outs are.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The umpiring this year has been ordinary - like it is every year.

Unfortunately, decisions like the one in favour of Gilchrist in the ODI final give umpires a bad name.

But, at the end of the day, it all evens out.

Gilchrist was absolutely plumb lbw for 13 but then received virtually the only ball that stopped and jumped all day and was caught for 40.

You can also guarantee that sooner rather than later, he'll get a bad decision against him.

That's part of the appeal behind the game.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Why 80s, I still remember the 2000 India-Australia Series (Famous for Laxman 281), just watch the last day of the Calcutta Test, there were definately a couple of decisions which went against Australia.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
benchmark00 said:
As far as im concerned, if its good enough for our forefathers, then it's good enough for us, Bradman, Grace and others didnt have 'Hawkeye' (unless theres a big conspiracy going on :D ) and they loved the game, the crowds loved the games, so what makes you think our great game needs improving?
What a society we would live in if everyone thought like that.

"Well back in my day we never had cars or planes and we lived perfectly fine. So why would we need them now?"

That's basically what you're saying.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sanz said:
Why 80s, I still remember the 2000 India-Australia Series (Famous for Laxman 281), just watch the last day of the Calcutta Test, there were definately a couple of decisions which went against Australia.
No rule is without exceptions.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
social said:
The umpiring this year has been ordinary - like it is every year.

Unfortunately, decisions like the one in favour of Gilchrist in the ODI final give umpires a bad name.

But, at the end of the day, it all evens out.

Gilchrist was absolutely plumb lbw for 13 but then received virtually the only ball that stopped and jumped all day and was caught for 40.

You can also guarantee that sooner rather than later, he'll get a bad decision against him.
And in the meantime he might well get 3 or 4 more let-offs.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Jono said:
What a society we would live in if everyone thought like that.

"Well back in my day we never had cars or planes and we lived perfectly fine. So why would we need them now?"

That's basically what you're saying.
Absolute rubbish, as if im saying that. Today people cant live their everyday lives without these pieces of technology, but what youre trying to say that cricket cant survive without introduction of total technology in every area?? ofcourse not, youre trying to compare apples with oranges. The game is brilliant at the moment, i dont think it needs any improvement, the mistakes and controversy make the game (along with other things ofcours)... its this that makes it such a great game to both watch, and play...

Scallywag

Banned
Everything C_C has posted about sensors being used for LBW's is utter bull manure and would not work. If it was that simple then it probably would be in use. What he fails to realise is reliability, umpires will give a decision everytime but a computer wont. Imagine the uproar if a player is plumb and they cross to this great jumble of sensors and cables and up pops "ERROR 404". I'm sure C_C would be the first one to complain "BIOS".

Reliability is so more important than accuracy and umpires are too far ahead on this alone to even consider moving to having the decisions that require judgement taken away from them.

J.Coney

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
To make a comparison why players should'nt walk. Steve waugh said if your speeding you don't hand your self into the police. The thing is no one questioned him further because what he said generally held some truth, when in actual fact what he said only highlights how important it is to use technology. You can speed and get away with it if, there are no cops around and second if there is no speed camera. You could even dispute you were speeding how ever there could be photographic proof and information data such as time, reg number and of couse speed. So therefore a batsmen shouldnt get away with a nick or a plumb lbw because there is a camera around that has all that data.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Scallywag said:
Imagine the uproar if a player is plumb and they cross to this great jumble of sensors and cables and up pops "ERROR 404". I'm sure C_C would be the first one to complain "BIOS".
Hahahahaha. :D :D :D