• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

21st Century International Draft - Voting

ataraxia

International Coach
I generally prefer not to vote, especially in a highly restricted draft - so proceed if Michael votes.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
I was hoping that the voting would reveal 2 clear leaders in each group, leaving just 6 to be in the final voting stage. However, 2 groups had teams tied for second place so we have 8 teams to judge. The competition was obviously tight but GIMH and I couldn't even secure a sympathy vote.
Stage 1 Results:
GROUP 1: Pothas - 8; Magrat Garlick - 7; ataraxia - 2; kingkallis - 1
GROUP 2: honestbharani - 7; Teuton - 4; Trundler -4; Michaelf7777777 - 1
GROUP 3: Stephen - 6; Fuller Pilch - 4; BoyBrumby - 4

For the final stage those voting are asked to pick their top 3 teams and rank them in order. Points will be allocated on a 3, 2, 1 basis to decide the winner. If you find ranking the top 3 in order too difficult, I will accept 3 teams with the note "in no particular order" and these teams will each be allocated 2 points.

So you don't have to go back to page 1 to view the teams, I'll list the 8 finalists here. For clarity of presentation (and fairness) I have removed any stats (but these are still viewable on page 1).

PothasMagrat GarlickhonestbharaniTeuton
Murali VijayA Strauss (Eng)Mayank AgarwalMark Richardson
Phil JaquesK Braithwaite (WI)Phil HughesUsman Khawaja
Kane WilliamsonH Amla (SA)Joe Root ©Cheteshwar Pujara
Ross TaylorV Kohli (Ind)AB De VilliersMike Hussey c
Darren BravoK Mendis (SL)Kusal Perera (wk)Ramnaresh Sarwan
Asad ShafiqShoaib Malik (Pak)Roston ChaseBen Stokes
Mushfiqur Rahim+W Saha (Ind)Sean Williams (vc)Jonny Bairstow
Graeme SwannJ Pattinson (Aus)Yasir ShahRashid Khan
Kyle AbbottM Johnson (Aus)Mitch StarcDale Steyn
Mohammed ShamiK Maharaj (SA)Ishant SharmaLasith Malinga
James AndersonT Southee (NZ)Jofra ArcherChris Martin
TrundlerFuller PilchStephenBoyBrumby
Alistair CookGraeme Smith *Gautum Gambhir (Ind)1) Tom Latham LHB
Simon KatichChris GayleMohammed Hafeez (Pak)2) Shikhar Dhawan LHB
Younis KhanMarnus LabuschagneJonathan Trott (Eng)3) Zak Crawley RHB
Henry NichollsAdam VogesIan Bell (Eng)4) Kevin Pietersen RHB
Hanuma VihariThilan SamaweeraJacques Rudolf (SA)5) Dinesh Chandimal RHB
Colin De GrandhommeJesse RyderMahmadullah (Ban)6) Quinton de Kock+ LHB
Brendan Taylor+Matt Prior +Tatenda Taibu+* (Zim)7) Dwayne Bravo RHB
Duanne OlivierMoeen AliRavindra Jadeja (Ind)8) Jason Holder* RHB
Simon JonesZaheer KhanStuart Clark (Aus)9) Ryan Harris RHB
Nathan LyonShane BondNeil Wagner (NZ)10) Pat Cummins RHB
Mohammad AsifMohammed AbbasJosh Hazlewood (Aus)11) Abdur Rehman LHB

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Footnote: I would ask all 8 finalists to vote but to exclude your team from your consideration and simply vote on the other 7 teams. Thus we can have a fair and balanced adjudication. Voting will remain open until this time next week.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
These are all pretty tight, but I've narrowed it down to the following top 3:

1 (3 points)) Magrat Garlick
2) BoyBrumby
3) Teuton

Honestly it's very close though and the other 4 (obviously I can't select myself) were a bees dick away from getting my vote.

Last edited:

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Looking good for Mags atm. I had a plan of a 4 man pace attack (Irfan Pathan or Kyle Jamieson at no 8 instead of Moeen). I wish I had gone that way.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
3 points - Magrat Garlick
2 points - Pothas
1 point - BoyBrumby (even though he jumped me in selection, taking a Kiwi opener and ruining my plans)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Again, it's a tough shout. All the teams look good test sides, but all have obvious weaknesses. I guess it's the trade off of weaknesses against strengths that's going to decide it.

I do like Stephen's side. It's possibly the best balanced XI of the eight, give or take Pothas's team. More on him in a bit though.

Stephen's XI doesn't have maybe the stellar batting stars of some XIs, but Jadeja at #8 lengthens the batting and partly compensates for a slight dip in quality from 5-7. His is possibly the best seam attack (except possibly my own, he said immodestly) and he has a couple of decent part-time (ish) spin options to complement Jadeja.

Mags does have the stellar batting names in Kohli and Amla, but Braithwaite (who I do think is a better player than his average suggests) is possibly one of the weaker opening options. Quality pace attack, with some genuine heat available in Johnson and Pattinson jr, and a nice depth to the batting Stephen doesn't perhaps have, with Southee coming in at eleven. Stephen's spin options look to have a clear advantage though.

FP looks to have a a top notch 1-8 on paper, decent part time options and his seam attack doesn't lose too much in comparison to any of the other selections (Zak is definitely a much better bowler than his average suggests), but the only doubt I really reserve is that Voges and Samaraweera are perhaps better statistically than actually. Moeen isn't the worst spin option, but is rather dog**** or diamonds at times.

Pothas has a lovely balanced XI, as I alluded to earlier, and his engine room looks stronger than Mags's or Stephen's, but if I was going to nitpick his bowling possibly lacks a serious fifth option, all due respect to Williamson and the other filth purveyors in the XI.

Trundler has a great top 3 and a thoroughly decent bowling attack too, but his middle order looks a little thin and does have a longer tail than is ideal.

HB's bowling is very decent and has some real pace too, but, as I said previously, his batting is maybe too reliant on AB and Root.

Teuton's top 7 is quite possibly the strongest of the eight XIs, but again at the risk of repeating myself, his seam attack looks to have Steyn doing a fair bit of the heavy lifting. Stokes and Malinga can be unplayable on their days, but equally can leak runs too.

It's a crap shoot really, but for today I'm going:

1) Stephen
2) Mags
3) Pothas