• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

20th Match - South Africa v Sri Lanka (28th March)

Who will win this match?

• Sri Lanka

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

James

Cricket Web Owner
Discussion surrounding the 20th Match of the World Cup between South Africa and Sri Lanka (Feroz Shah Kotla, Delhi).

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Pretty **** match. But Saffers paying $1.38 is crazy. Lanka suck hard, but Saffers have got to be the most overrated limited overs side in recent memory.

Edit: scratch that, I see Mathews is not playing.

Last edited:

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Don't fancy Perera's batting much in these conditions against quick bowling. Top order has to do the damage.

Agree that Sri Lanka certainly aren't overwhelming underdogs here. It was 60-40 at best even with Mathews missing.

Stace

First Class Debutant
Thirimanne really shouldn't be playing T20 for club sides let alone for his country.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Looks a good cricket wicket this. Just a bit of grass to help the ball come on, there's something there for all the bowlers and consistent pace for the batsmen to play shots.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pretty **** match. But Saffers paying $1.38 is crazy. Lanka suck hard, but Saffers have got to be the most overrated limited overs side in recent memory.

Edit: scratch that, I see Mathews is not playing.
Dead rubber, exactly the kind of scenario they thrive in.

Howe_zat

Audio File
SA have to chase the 120 down in 14.3 overs to make Sri Lanka finish bottom.

I'm just pleased to get the calculator out once

testcricketer

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I wish people would stop saying south africa chocked everytime we lose a game, do we choke! heck yeah, but that doesnt mean that everytime we lose a game, it's cause we chocked

Stefan9

International Debutant
I wish people would stop saying south africa chocked everytime we lose a game, do we choke! heck yeah, but that doesnt mean that everytime we lose a game, it's cause we chocked
TBF in this world cup we did choke. Should never lose defending 230 and shouldn't lose when defending 9 of the last over on the nagpur pitch.

Can't defend them this time round. They let themselves and a nation down again...

To show the difference when it really mattered for India Virat Kohli stood tall, when it really matter for SA where were our so called super stars putting up the performances?

Only player who performed each and every game was tahir and qdk. The rest were inconsistent to poor.

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
TBF in this world cup we did choke. Should never lose defending 230 and shouldn't lose when defending 9 of the last over on the nagpur pitch.

Can't defend them this time round. They let themselves and a nation down again...

To show the difference when it really mattered for India Virat Kohli stood tall, when it really matter for SA where were our so called super stars putting up the performances?

Only player who performed each and every game was Tahir and QDK. The rest were inconsistent to poor.
I don't think Amla had a bad tournament... Duminy also started showing some form before getting injured.... again! I think his loss in the WI game was critical for us. Root played a class innings and we need to give him credit.

But ultimately nobody thought we had a chance of winning. The reality is that the top 6 where uncertain until the last second with Amla not sure if he was playing and AB not sure if he would play 1,2,3 or 4... But our biggest single problem in both the shorter formats of the game is that we do not have any genuine all-rounders. If you look at the other top teams, they have players that are chosen for their batting or bowling and then have the ability to contribute elsewhere. Morris, Wiese and Behardien are just not in the same class. For many years we had great all-rounders with one of the best of all time in our team for 20 years, it was the reason we where always competitive in ODI`s even when we did not have some of the worlds best batsmen. We have had no genuine quality all-rounder since Kallis`s retirement, the great hope was Duminy and between his injuries and poor form enough said.

We will not be truly competitive until we either change our mindset to play 5 bowlers and 6 batsmen and trust the 6 to do the job or else some of the young all-round talent starts coming through and showing the quality required.

Stefan9

International Debutant
I don't think Amla had a bad tournament... Duminy also started showing some form before getting injured.... again! I think his loss in the WI game was critical for us. Root played a class innings and we need to give him credit.

But ultimately nobody thought we had a chance of winning. The reality is that the top 6 where uncertain until the last second with Amla not sure if he was playing and AB not sure if he would play 1,2,3 or 4... But our biggest single problem in both the shorter formats of the game is that we do not have any genuine all-rounders. If you look at the other top teams, they have players that are chosen for their batting or bowling and then have the ability to contribute elsewhere. Morris, Wiese and Behardien are just not in the same class. For many years we had great all-rounders with one of the best of all time in our team for 20 years, it was the reason we where always competitive in ODI`s even when we did not have some of the worlds best batsmen. We have had no genuine quality all-rounder since Kallis`s retirement, the great hope was Duminy and between his injuries and poor form enough said.

We will not be truly competitive until we either change our mindset to play 5 bowlers and 6 batsmen and trust the 6 to do the job or else some of the young all-round talent starts coming through and showing the quality required.
Root's innings is not what cost SA the game. The extras the SA bowlers bowled us what cost SA the game. Even with Root's innings if SA bowls properly they still come out on top.

Only 5 vs afghanistan and run out for 1 when it really mattered vs west indies. Would call that pretty poor in my book.

Sorry don't buy this about no one fancy our chances of winning the tournament. Before it started besides India(the obvious fav) most had SA right up there. The side had the talent but poor match selection and buckling under the pressure is what cost them yet again.

Last edited:

91Jmay

International Coach
Any of the big sides could have conceivably won this tournament. A team with the batting talent of SA + a performing Tahir should be disappointed to be going home before semi finals.