• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2021 English Cricket Season

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Burns and Stoneman playing a different game to everyone else at The Oval. Their two partnerships currently stand at 270 for1, with the other 19 partnerships managing a combined total of 215.

Last edited:

tony p

First Class Debutant
His best years have come since he was 30, maybe even 35+. Didn't do much in his 20s.

Plus he bowls at 70mph.
Stevens only took 94 first-class Wkts in total by the age of 35. At present he has 565 wkts, so 471 since turning 35.

Shame they hardly played at Canterbury yesterday. Kent were in a reasonable position to force a win, not now however.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Stevens only took 94 first-class Wkts in total by the age of 35. At present he has 565 wkts, so 471 since turning 35.

Shame they hardly played at Canterbury yesterday. Kent were in a reasonable position to force a win, not now however.
He must be one of the greatest ever performers after turning 40. I know that Hobbs scored loads of hundreds after his 40th birthday. Beyond that. I'm struggling. Possibly Barnes? D'Oliveira once we recognise that his actual birthday was several years earlier than what he originally told us.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He must be one of the greatest ever performers after turning 40. I know that Hobbs scored loads of hundreds after his 40th birthday. Beyond that. I'm struggling. Possibly Barnes? D'Oliveira once we recognise that his actual birthday was several years earlier than what he originally told us.
If you want late bloomers, then Bill Alley and Emmott Robinson. As far as long time careers, Rhodes and Grace naturally.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Some of Patsy Hendren's first-class batting efforts after turning 40 might deserve a mention.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Charlie Parker and Tich Freeman had their best seasons in their 40s (Freeman turned 40 at the start of the season when he took 304 wickets).

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Bert Ironmonger was older than Stevens is now when he made his Test debut.
Grimmett also carried on playing Tests until his mid 40s.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Once upon a time, chasing 290 in 60 overs on Day 4 in overcast conditions would be a tough call. Not so for Middlesex today; Surrey's popgun attack has barely threated since the second wicket fell.

tony p

First Class Debutant
Once upon a time, chasing 290 in 60 overs on Day 4 in overcast conditions would be a tough call. Not so for Middlesex today; Surrey's popgun attack has barely threated since the second wicket fell.
Unfortunately, a 5 over rain delay when Middlesex needed 74 off 13 overs stuffed it up for them. Handscomb got out on the re-start, and Gubbins holed out for 124 with 4 overs left, ended in a draw.

Flem274*

123/5

hahahahaha holy ****

they should just give him a test tbh. it would bring a tear to my eye to see him sam curran the indians.