• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***2019 State of Origin First Try Scorer***

the big bambino

International Captain
Well he got picked in the first place because Keary got bonced and Maloney's form dived. Even Cleary could have been preferred at 5/8 if Pearce was fit for selection at half back. Walker was the reluctant choice and I don't think Fittler really rates him as a player. The national anthem thing would have to be addressed by Fittler to keep the team unified too. Unwanted distraction. Fittler made some hard criticisms of Walker during the game and I can't recall the last time a coach dragged his 5/8. So I don't think Fittler ever really wanted him and couldn't wait to can him.

The surprise was Mitchell but Fittler gave us an insight of his critical thoughts about Mitchell during the game as well. Nothing's been said but gee it seems like something went wrong in camp for game one that predicated his listless performance. Mitchell would definitely be selected if Fittler believed he could work with him. To drop him when the coach knows his own job is insecure if he loses suggests he'd rather work with a committed team than a talented star with an indifferent attitude.

Alot of changes but there is some sense to them. The winning halves are back. Wade Graham is a surprise but he has combination with Maloney and Cleary. He's a bit creative too and adds that option. The NSW side are all workers and so is the bench. Its a less dangerous side without Mitchell but its a side with a lot of gas and will try and outwork Qld.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Well he got picked in the first place because Keary got bonced and Maloney's form dived. Even Cleary could have been preferred at 5/8 if Pearce was fit for selection at half back. Walker was the reluctant choice and I don't think Fittler really rates him as a player. The national anthem thing would have to be addressed by Fittler to keep the team unified too. Unwanted distraction. Fittler made some hard criticisms of Walker during the game and I can't recall the last time a coach dragged his 5/8. So I don't think Fittler ever really wanted him and couldn't wait to can him.

The surprise was Mitchell but Fittler gave us an insight of his critical thoughts about Mitchell during the game as well. Nothing's been said but gee it seems like something went wrong in camp for game one that predicated his listless performance. Mitchell would definitely be selected if Fittler believed he could work with him. To drop him when the coach knows his own job is insecure if he loses suggests he'd rather work with a committed team than a talented star with an indifferent attitude.

Alot of changes but there is some sense to them. The winning halves are back. Wade Graham is a surprise but he has combination with Maloney and Cleary. He's a bit creative too and adds that option. The NSW side are all workers and so is the bench. Its a less dangerous side without Mitchell but its a side with a lot of gas and will try and outwork Qld.
I think you're right about Fittler/Walker but it's still crazy. He's been pretty close to the form player in the comp this year and provides excellent foil for a halfback who can run a team. Keary would have been great, but there's no reason Cleary couldn't have worked and I think Maloney (even accounting for form) would have been great. Bennett seems to be getting plenty of mileage out of him, so if Fittler isn't able to then he needs to be called on it. I can understand a coach being annoyed by the anthem thing but at the end of the day it's a subject that's important to one of your best players, find a way to make it work.

Not sure about Mitchell, but it's worth noting that there were some, rumours, going around about the guy in the lead up to the game. Pretty sure they're false, but it might have affected him.

The Graham selection is crazy. Good player, but he's played like 2 games of footy in the 10 months and looked gassed off the bench against Canberra last week. Origin requires another gear and I can't see how Graham is going to have it available. It's particularly weird given Matterson was 18th man in game 1, is in good form and covers all the positions Graham does (and then some).

Why there's not even a single prop on the bench is beyond me. Again, I like Sims, Funcane and (especially) Murray but surely Maclean (or even Tamou) should have been preferred.

We've got 2 centres (one of the most difficult defensive positions) who've never played the positions for extended amounts of time. Maybe you cop that to make sure T Turbo gets a run but Wighton?

All this after a 4 point loss at fortress Suncorp. It's insane.

That said, any team with Tedesco and Cook is a chance.

Last edited:

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Kyle: Cordner, Fifita, Munster, Cherry-Evans, Ponga, Paplii, Wighton
Ausage: Arrow, Chambers, Frizell, Trbojevic, McGuire, Mbye, Penalty
DCYE: Morris, Haas, Oates, Kaufusi, Morgan, Crichton, Klemmer
Marcuss: Napa, Mitchell, Cleary, Cook, Walker, Cotric, Gillett
Morgieb: Murray, Ofahengaue, Gagai, Hunt, Addo-Carr, Vaughan, Tedesco
Appreciate that @Ausage. Thanks :)

Mister Wright

Last call for anyone who wants to join in for game 2. Will probably do the selections Saturday. If interested, let me know.

Mister Wright

Here are your selections for game 2:

Code:
Forumer			Selection 1	Selection 2	Selection 3	Selection 4	Selection 5	

Mister Wright		Oates		Vaughan		J. Trbojevic	Hunt		Munster
Ausage 			Maloney		Saifiti		Cherry-Evans	Finucane	Tedesco		
dontcloseyoureyes	Cook		McGuire		Gagai		Morgan		Sims
Marcuss			Murray		Cordner		Papalii		Ponga		Kaufusi
morgieb			T. Trbojevic	Any Penalty	Mbye		Ferguson	Cleary					
Burgey			Wighton		Graham		Gillett		Wallace		Addo-Carr
Dan			Fifita		Chambers	Glasby		Frizell		Napa

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think you're right about Fittler/Walker but it's still crazy. He's been pretty close to the form player in the comp this year and provides excellent foil for a halfback who can run a team. Keary would have been great, but there's no reason Cleary couldn't have worked and I think Maloney (even accounting for form) would have been great. Bennett seems to be getting plenty of mileage out of him, so if Fittler isn't able to then he needs to be called on it. I can understand a coach being annoyed by the anthem thing but at the end of the day it's a subject that's important to one of your best players, find a way to make it work.

Not sure about Mitchell, but it's worth noting that there were some, rumours, going around about the guy in the lead up to the game. Pretty sure they're false, but it might have affected him.

The Graham selection is crazy. Good player, but he's played like 2 games of footy in the 10 months and looked gassed off the bench against Canberra last week. Origin requires another gear and I can't see how Graham is going to have it available. It's particularly weird given Matterson was 18th man in game 1, is in good form and covers all the positions Graham does (and then some).

Why there's not even a single prop on the bench is beyond me. Again, I like Sims, Funcane and (especially) Murray but surely Maclean (or even Tamou) should have been preferred.

We've got 2 centres (one of the most difficult defensive positions) who've never played the positions for extended amounts of time. Maybe you cop that to make sure T Turbo gets a run but Wighton?

All this after a 4 point loss at fortress Suncorp. It's insane.

That said, any team with Tedesco and Cook is a chance.
Thing that’s interesting about the anthem thing is none of the players volunteered anything about it. Walker (iirc) was asked about it at a press conference and just answered the question.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Thing that’s interesting about the anthem thing is none of the players volunteered anything about it. Walker (iirc) was asked about it at a press conference and just answered the question.
Yeah. I could certainly believe it was a bigger deal outside of camp than it was inside of it. It's just a weird look when one of the best players in 2019 becomes the centre of a political/media storm, then plays a quiet game (in admittedly his first Origin at Suncorp), then comes back to NRL level and looks a shadow of the player he was. He ripped us a new one in round 7, he was invisible in round 14.

Dropping him and Latrell certainly looks like it got the job done too. Attitude was a complete 180.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mitchell has struck me as having read a lot of his own press all year tbh. It's an understandable mistake for a young bloke to make and he's a wonderful talent, so I don't think there's any doubt he'll be back. But it might well have been the kick in the arse he needed.

Maloney was terrific last night. Awesome game management in wet weather. Quality performance.

Mister Wright

Here are your selections for Game 3:

Code:
Forumer			Selection 1	Selection 2	Selection 3	Selection 4	Selection 5	

Mister Wright		Cordner		Mbye		Norman		Ferguson	Klemmer
Ausage 			Ofahengaue	Welch		T. Trbojevic	Munster		Morgan
dontcloseyoureyes	Tedesco		Gagai		Murray		Kaufusi		Saifiti
Marcuss			Oates		Hunt		Chambers	Graham		Any Penalty
morgieb			Addo-Carr	Wighton		Vaughan		Lowe		Frizell
Burgey			Cook		Finucane	Fifita		Cherry-Evans	Maloney
Dan			Glasby		J. Trbojevic	McGuire		Pearce		Papalii