• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2018 World Cup Final: France v Croatia

vogue

International Vice-Captain
Have to say I have really enjoyed this World Cup tournament. Liked Mr Pickford, but also that England had a great team attitude. Looking forward to 2022.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Never seen a team as likeable on the pitch and obnoxious off it as Croatia. Great mix of silky passing and total commitment for a bunch of bitter, needling, perjuring Nazis.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Im not an expert by any means, but Croatia's goalie's footwork and positioning has looked very off today
He was probably exhausted from those repeated sprints to the edge of the six yard box during the penalty shoot-outs.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Colleague (who is from Cameroon) of mine on Twitter posting angsty tweets saying that it's not really France who won the world cup, but Africa, given the make up of the French squad.

This has trouble written all over it, so I am not going to reply. Seems like a bit of a race bait, but is this in any way a fair claim? I mean, as far as I can see the only player not born in France on show display today was Umtiti.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Never seen a team as likeable on the pitch and obnoxious off it as Croatia. Great mix of silky passing and total commitment for a bunch of bitter, needling, perjuring Nazis.
I was happy to see them lose due to the massive chips on shoulders after the England match.

But you put it way better than me.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Colleague (who is from Cameroon) of mine on Twitter posting angsty tweets saying that it's not really France who won the world cup, but Africa, given the make up of the French squad.

This has trouble written all over it, so I am not going to reply. Seems like a bit of a race bait, but is this in any way a fair claim? I mean, as far as I can see the only player not born in France on show display today was Umtiti.
Nope.

One of the reasons that African sides will never win a World Cup is because of the crushing poverty prevalent in the continent. Had Pogba, Varane etc grown up in Africa, the poverty they would likely have experienced would have meant they would likely have grown up undernourished and failed to reach their full potential.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The universal take from this WC is Australia’s rise to number two in the rankings as the side which troubled France the most.

But what a great tournament. So many close games and very few snooze fests.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Congrats France. Thought this match might need an early Croatia goal to open up, but instead France scored and it was still very open and entertaining.

Great tournament even if match times were terrible and I didn't watch as much of the knockout phase as I'd have liked.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever

I mean if the vast majority of the squad was born in France, I don't see how that's fair at all.

Xuhaib

International Coach
I just can't get over how good Mbappe is. I'm so jealous.
will be the best player in the world within next 2 seasons. Unlike Ronaldo/Messi he does not need to prove it for his country now by wining a world cup as that is out of the way early. Has a serious shot at winning 3 world cups like Pele givin France embarrassment of riches.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Going back to Mbappe, I can't help thinking that some of the stuff I've read lately has massively overstated his contribution. Yes he's very fast, but so are a lot of people. And apart from the Argentina match, he hasn't exactly dominated proceedings. He may well go on to be an ATG, and I hope that he does, but several journalists seem a bit too quick with the coronation imo.