• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

1st Test, Edgbaston, Birmingham

King Pietersen

International Captain
I have precisely zero hope if we go into the 1st Test with a batting line-up of:

Burns, Roy, Denly, Root, Bairstow, Stokes, Buttler, Ali.

Would personally rather see:

Burns, Roy, Sibley, Root, Ballance, Stokes, Foakes, Woakes

At least Sibley and Ballance are going to try and stick around for a bit, not one-day players being shoe-horned in whiffing at anything outside off. I'm also going Woakes over Archer for the 1st Test. Give Jof a bit more time to get to full fitness, last thing we want is one of our gun bowlers breaking down with a side strain half way through the Test and seems a good opportunity to rest him given it's Woakes' home ground.

Francis9898

Cricket Spectator
I have precisely zero hope if we go into the 1st Test with a batting line-up of:

At least Sibley and Ballance are going to try and stick around for a bit, not one-day players being shoe-horned in whiffing at anything outside off. I'm also going Woakes over Archer for the 1st Test. Give Jof a bit more time to get to full fitness, last thing we want is one of our gun bowlers breaking down with a side strain half way through the Test and seems a good opportunity to rest him given it's Woakes' home ground.
Is there no better than Burns in CC? He looks horrendous and his technique is horrible.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Well that's the shirt for this Ashes series.......should give you an idea of what to expect.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Don't think its fair to call Bancroft- Prof Liar.... at best he was a naive student liar. Didn't do a very good job.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The Barmy Army was last amusing about the time Benny Hill died. Just another tiresome, (tiny) dick-waving, nationalistic gathering of bloated, sun burnt, brain dead imbos.

With a trumpet.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Exactly the same could be said about you, only difference is there's only (thankfully) one of you..........and you don't have a trumpet.

Burgey

Adders, I’m afraid that in the interests of consistently applying the forum rules, I’m going to have to report that post as trolling and being designed to incite or harass another poster.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member

Burns is so out of form it's painful to behold. It's not just about his two innings at Lord's; he's been completely out of sorts in the CC too. At least Denly looked like making some runs in this test, and it was hardly his fault that Root ran him out. Foakes would probably make more runs than Bairstow, but we all know that won't happen. I think you make a fair point about Archer.

trundler

Go with a pinch blocker up top along with 2 top order bats, doesn't matter who. Root at 4 then Stokes, Bairstow and Buttler. Curran should definitely be in the team at 8, his troll runs have been the difference in 2 series already. Maybe Woakes can bat up the order.

Groundking

International Debutant
Burns can't play this test surely? He looked more shot than the WC lads did! I'd go for this team for this test.

Roy
Sibley
Denly
Root
Buttler
Stokes
Bairstow
Woakes
Moeen
Broad
Anderson

Andy1993

U19 Cricketer
Spinners worry me too...Can;t play Mo he looks hopeless at the moment, Rashid looks un-intrested, and Leach hasnt set the world alight with the ball in tests either

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
We've named 14 players. No Jack Leach.

Joe Root (capt), Moeen Ali, James Anderson, Jofra Archer, Jonny Bairstow (wk), Stuart Broad, Rory Burns, Jos Buttler (wk), Sam Curran, Joe Denly, Jason Roy, Ben Stokes, Olly Stone, Chris Woakes.