• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

1st Test at Brisbane, 8th-12th of December 2021

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Paine by all rights should be available to play in the series but I don't see how he could be mentally right after this all happening in the immediate lead up.

Aritro

International Regular
Who was the last bowler to be appointed Australia's test captain? Must be Benaud?

^looked it up, it was Benaud, and to find the last one before him you have to go back even earlier than the era of the great man from Bowral.

1637334276673.png

And by great man from Bowral, I obviously mean Ian Craig.

Last edited:

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Does Paine make it into the test 11 at this point? Probably give him a game in the day night test as a retirement match but he hasn't played any serious cricket this season and while his batting has been solid his keeping played a huge part in us losing that series vs India.

Woodster

International Captain
Unfortunately I think it’s going to take more than an Aussie captain with a wandering eye (and fingers….for texting of course!) to derail them from winning the Ashes. Although some disruption can’t do any harm for England’s cause who are of course dealing with all the racist issues, of which I’m sure there are more to come!

Surely Paine plays in the series.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
So what's going to be happening with this match and this series? Will there be limits on crowd numbers, and will all the games go ahead as per the schedule?

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So what's going to be happening with this match and this series? Will there be limits on crowd numbers, and will all the games go ahead as per the schedule?
Individual states make the rules but can almost guarantee that some will make attendance conditional upon being fully vaxxed

JBMAC

State Captain
Smith should be made skipper. If Cummins is made skipper the Smith should be his deputy. As for Keeper Wade is the first one coming to mind however his age unfortunately will go against him. See Carey as keeper and he could be used as an opening partner for Warner. At present it's all in the lap of the Gods..

JBMAC

State Captain
I stated in the ATG thread nothing excites Cricket Fans as an Ashes Series. First posted on here 2010

He strode to the wicket with his side one down,
Not a big man and he had on a frown
Some rated him the best they'd ever seen
but this innings was to prove
The best there has ever been
He hooked the first ball to square leg for four
Then a glance off his pads to fine leg for more
The sun was out on that Brisbane day
I was there at The Gabba and saw Bradman play.

By lunch he was just short of a ton
and the poms had no answer to
To this Aussie son
He'd bashed them, He'd thrashed them
And was looking for more when down came the rain
To help even the score
No one left the Gabba that day just waited in the rain to watch Bradman play

A career that ended in '48
Was dotted with milestones no one can rate
He'd hook them, He'd drive them, then go looking for more
I suppose I was lucky on that Gabba day,
When I sat in the bleachers and saw Bradman play

Copyright JBMAC

Gob

International Coach
Righteo so tim can't play. He is coming from an injury, missed the club game and his head can't be in the right place so who should keep. I like Carey but Inglis is younger and looks good. Carey's glove work is average at best. How good is Inglis with the gloves?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pierson might be a bolter here, and he's presumably up in Qld. Him or Bertus anyway.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Righteo so tim can't play. He is coming from an injury, missed the club game and his head can't be in the right place so who should keep. I like Carey but Inglis is younger and looks good. Carey's glove work is average at best. How good is Inglis with the gloves?
Inglis is a very solid keeper, missed a stumping in his one shield game this season but outside that don't think I've seen him screw up any chances in the past year.