• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Re ***** supporting both India and Bangladesh

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
What is the logic exactly? Are you an Indian or a Bangladeshi originally? If you support Bangladesh in Bangladesh v India, how can you support India in all other series India play? Then you are a neutral in India v England..

cnerd123

likes this
What is the logic exactly?.
The logic is that this is just a sport, and in the grand scheme of life who you support at a sport doesn't really matter.

There are several teams I have connections to, and so I support them all when they play. This allows me to watch a wide range of international cricket with some sort of emotional investment towards the result, which therefore makes the game more entertaining. And at the end of the day, entertainment is why any of us watch cricket -or any sport- to begin with.

Why I pick what nations/counties/state/IPL Franchise to support isn't relevant. For most people it's arbitrary anyways - decided by what patch of dirt you or your ancestors happened to be born on. or who you family and friends supported as you grew up. There are millions of Manchester United fans world wide who have never even set foot in the UK, no one questions their right to support a team. Because it doesn't, and shouldn't, matter. I've supported both India and Bangladesh since 2004, I've earned my stripes.

Lastly, I realise I'm basically a celebrity in these parts, and you're probably too intimidated to approach me directly, but there is no need to be shy. Drop me a VM instead of creating a whole thread on Cricket Chat about this. It's really not necessary.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The logic is that this is just a sport, and in the grand scheme of life who you support at a sport doesn't really matter.

There are several teams I have connections to, and so I support them all when they play. This allows me to watch a wide range of international cricket with some sort of emotional investment towards the result, which therefore makes the game more entertaining. And at the end of the day, entertainment is why any of us watch cricket -or any sport- to begin with.

Why I pick what nations/counties/state/IPL Franchise to support isn't relevant. For most people it's arbitrary anyways - decided by what patch of dirt you or your ancestors happened to be born on. or who you family and friends supported as you grew up. There are millions of Manchester United fans world wide who have never even set foot in the UK, no one questions their right to support a team. Because it doesn't, and shouldn't, matter. I've supported both India and Bangladesh since 2004, I've earned my stripes.

Lastly, I realise I'm basically a celebrity in these parts, and you're probably too intimidated to approach me directly, but there is no need to be shy. Drop me a VM instead of creating a whole thread on Cricket Chat about this. It's really not necessary.
This is why you'll never be any good at sport.

cnerd123

likes this
Don't forget Hong Kong
tbf I'm probably a bigger HK fan than I am BD/Indian. I actually know members of the national squad on a first name basis, watched them all play live and have umpired quite a few of them. Know the coaches and staff and stuff. The way my heart sank when we lost ODI status in the last WC Qualifiers - I don't think I've felt that low about any India/BD losses tbh.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Thanks for the question Pratters, I'll handle this one.

There are a few popular theories on what is occurring with ***** here. The first is that he truly supports Bangladesh, but as a survival mechanism for how truly dire they were in the 2000s and early 2010s, also needed a more established team to support to stave off eternal depression. So he threw in his lot with India as they were on the rise at the time. Now that Bangladesh are beginning to string a few wins together consistently, his true Bangladesh supporter colours show through as he gradually detaches from India.

The second theory is that he likes the controversial, Bangladesh are traditionally fairly dire at cricket, Indian cricketers on the other hand are full of fairly dire players. It was a perfect match.

The third theory is that he genuinely does support Bangladesh, but not India in any true form. He instead only likes a few players and when they retire may be perfectly ambivalent to Indian cricket. I like to call this the IPL effect.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
This is exactly the kind of attention ***** wants. Mods please lock this thread.

Last edited:

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Pratters already regretting opening this thread. Major shake up on who should follow which team about to happen

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
tbf I'm probably a bigger HK fan than I am BD/Indian. I actually know members of the national squad on a first name basis, watched them all play live and have umpired quite a few of them. Know the coaches and staff and stuff. The way my heart sank when we lost ODI status in the last WC Qualifiers - I don't think I've felt that low about any India/BD losses tbh.
It's awesome having experiences like this, isn't it? I felt the same sort of affinity when a couple of the under 10s I used to umpire and/ or coach made it all the way to the same level by playing in the local park B1s competition.

cnerd123

likes this
Pratters already regretting opening this thread. Major shake up on who should follow which team about to happen
IIRC Pratters is from Kolkata. Kolkata is barely even India tbh, it's just a Bangladeshi colony within India. He should start supporting the motherland instead.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
@*****: Thanks for the answer. Obviously saying one doesn't need a reason to support a specific team is fine, I think we all understand that as sports fans.

In no way did I mean to attack you or anticipate that you didn't want this discussed on a thread. For example, SilentStriker is quite clear that he grew up in India and supports India in cricket and having spent so many years in US, has follows US in a lot of sports like soccer when they make a world cup etc.

You have given me some answers (ambigious though they might be), that you have had connections with these countries or seen people growing up support some of these countries which has made you support these countries. I for one love telling people the reasons I support particular countries and given that you support a fair few countries, I thought it would be interesting to know.

Athlai

Not Terrible
It's awesome having experiences like this, isn't it? I felt the same sort of affinity when a couple of the under 10s I used to umpire and/ or coach made it all the way to the same level by playing in the local park B1s competition.
Also as likely to get poached by Kiwi selectors