• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Re ***** supporting both India and Bangladesh

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Thanks for the question Pratters, I'll handle this one.

There are a few popular theories on what is occurring with ***** here. The first is that he truly supports Bangladesh, but as a survival mechanism for how truly dire they were in the 2000s and early 2010s, also needed a more established team to support to stave off eternal depression. So he threw in his lot with India as they were on the rise at the time. Now that Bangladesh are beginning to string a few wins together consistently, his true Bangladesh supporter colours show through as he gradually detaches from India.

The second theory is that he likes the controversial, Bangladesh are traditionally fairly dire at cricket, Indian cricketers on the other hand are full of fairly dire players. It was a perfect match.

The third theory is that he genuinely does support Bangladesh, but not India in any true form. He instead only likes a few players and when they retire may be perfectly ambivalent to Indian cricket. I like to call this the IPL effect.
So he is much more of a Bangldesh fan than an Indian fan, I presume from this. It would also meet with him supporting Bangladesh in India v Bangladesh matches.. Will be interesting to see where he stands in terms of teams he supports in 8/10 years..

cnerd123

likes this
It's awesome having experiences like this, isn't it? I felt the same sort of affinity when a couple of the under 10s I used to umpire and/ or coach made it all the way to the same level by playing in the local park B1s competition.
Not sure if you're serious to trying to make a joke, but yea it is pretty special when people from your community are out there representing it. That's essentially why we support a team to begin with - it's that sense of 'these are our boys out there showing the world what we're made of' - except with big team like India and BD there are so many layers of detachment from knowing the actual individuals involved. But with the HK national team, like, I actually know these guys. I've had conversations with them, shared the field with them, I've even met some of their families. And I'm still new in this community - the other people here have literally seen these guys come up through the junior ranks into reaching the national team. If you're in HK Cricket long enough, you literally know everybody. It's a small community. And that's why days like this:

10th Match, First Round Group A (N), World T20 at Chittagong, Mar 20 2014 | Match Summary | ESPNCricinfo

Are just so, so much sweeter than any major nation's victories. It doesn't even compare.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not sure if you're serious to trying to make a joke, but yea it is pretty special when people from your community are out there representing it. That's essentially why we support a team to begin with - it's that sense of 'these are our boys out there showing the world what we're made of' - except with big team like India and BD there are so many layers of detachment from knowing the actual individuals involved. But with the HK national team, like, I actually know these guys. I've had conversations with them, shared the field with them, I've even met some of their families. And I'm still new in this community - the other people here have literally seen these guys come up through the junior ranks into reaching the national team. If you're in HK Cricket long enough, you literally know everybody. It's a small community. And that's why days like this:

10th Match, First Round Group A (N), World T20 at Chittagong, Mar 20 2014 | Match Summary | ESPNCricinfo

Are just so, so much sweeter than any major nation's victories. It doesn't even compare.
Lol

Athlai

Not Terrible
So he is much more of a Bangldesh fan than an Indian fan, I presume from this. It would also meet with him supporting Bangladesh in India v Bangladesh matches.. Will be interesting to see where he stands in terms of teams he supports in 8/10 years..
He rides the endorphins. He supports everything in Bangladesh vs. India and likes his own posts.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Pratters already regretting opening this thread. Major shake up on who should follow which team about to happen
Sure, I don't mind talking about the teams I support at all. My first match was India v SA in 1991 and I watched SA in 1992 and then in the Indian tour of SA as well in 1993. For a long while, I supported SA along with India. However, in the last 12 years or so, the support for SA has faded and I treat them like any other country.

My ancestors are from Rajasthan, However, I support the Bengal Ranji team. Do not follow them as ardently as I would like. I do not support any IPL team per say.

Burgey

IIRC Pratters is from Kolkata. Kolkata is barely even India tbh, it's just a Bangladeshi colony within India. He should start supporting the motherland instead.
Do you mind if I ask which part of India your family is from, assuming they're from India to begin with?*

*Hopes he says Chennai

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Ok.

I guess this question propped up after seeing so many Bangldeshi fans in Florida supporting the country they grew up in or share ancestors with. With so much immigration taking place all through the world, hopefully we will have a much more global community in 20 years or so as a race.

TheJediBrah

Ok.

I guess this question propped up after seeing so many Bangldeshi fans in Florida supporting the country they grew up in or share ancestors with. With so much immigration taking place all through the world, hopefully we will have a much more global community in 20 years or so as a race.
I got served at Subway in Manhattan by a nice bloke who supposedly used to be a doctor in Bangladesh. He seemed pretty happy. Good sandwich too.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Good, moving it out of CC will ensure this thread gets less attention. ***** will still write his self serving essays though even if it is on testing forums.

Burgey

Also, can a moderator please amend the thread title to reflect that ***** is not worthy of a a capitalised user name?