• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kippax's "Black Lodge" Treehouse (where tinfoil hats are mandatory)

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Law 'er Palm 'er. The traffic light is blue....

This thread is for any exaggerated personality stereotype conspiracies that spring to mind, and for delving very deeply into the hidden meanings of things.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Agribusiness - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Agribusiness is the business of agricultural production. The term was coined in 1957 by Goldberg and Davis. It includes agrichemicals, breeding, crop production (farming and contract farming), distribution, farm machinery, processing, and seed supply, as well as marketing and retail sales. All agents of the food and fiber value chain and those institutions that influence it are part of the agribusiness system.

Within the agriculture industry, "agribusiness" is used simply as a portmanteau of agriculture and business, referring to the range of activities and disciplines encompassed by modern food production. There are academic degrees in and departments of agribusiness, agribusiness trade associations, agribusiness publications, and so forth, worldwide.

The UN's Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) operates a section devoted to Agribusiness Development[1] which seeks to promote food industry growth in developing nations.

In the context of agribusiness management in academia, each individual element of agriculture production and distribution may be described as agribusinesses. However, the term "agribusiness" most often emphasizes the "interdependence" of these various sectors within the production chain.[2]

Among critics of large-scale, industrialized, vertically integrated food production, the term agribusiness is used negatively, synonymous with corporate farming. As such, it is often contrasted with smaller family-owned farms.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What is it that makes us human? Our bodies, our brain, the information inside the brain, a subset of the three, or something else like the soul (whatever that means)?

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
What is it that makes us human? Our bodies, our brain, the information inside the brain, a subset of the three, or something else like the soul (whatever that means)?
Agribusiness has certainly turned its back on the ideological and unquantifiable notion of a soul. There's only one New Zealand cricket figure who would include 'soul' in his writing these days.

They'd probably be a fan of Harold Bloom's assertion that Shakespeare in a way 'invented' human personality, and that it's now time for something new. They see Ross Taylor as being a lot like the nice chap who is killed by Marlo in The Wire because he "wants it to be one way....but it's the other way".

"But Marlow was not typical (if his propensity to spin yarns be excepted), and to him the meaning of an episode was not inside like a kernel but outside, enveloping the tale which brought it out only as a glow brings out a haze, in the likeness of one of those misty halos that sometimes are made visible by the spectral illumination of moonshine".

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah agribusiness prefers Ronchi and remains very wary of Munro. It's like how Howard Dean ruined everything with the infamous scream....

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Your intrigue with Michael Bracewell's method of batting like a statue who merely snaps his wrists at the ball is the one obsessional hobbyhorse we're not going to explore in the Black Lodge.

You'll have to take it up again in the 2015/16 domestic thread, which will have a much more numerical Mike5181 tone to it.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
If we can't push forward personal agendas in a thread which encourages you to wear a tin foil hat then what can a man do.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
What is the thread maker's take on what the balance between t20 fc and list a will be 5 years from now.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Pretty much stasis on the format balance (that November T20 contract with Sky was quite a long one IIRC), and no change to the minimal amount turn in the pitches on days 3 and 4 either. Which is how agribusiness likes it.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Is Hesson gonna bench Watling for The Wonky Donkey?
No, I'm pretty sure McCullum has said in the recent past that Watling is his favourite cricketer, so I don't think you have to worry about that. I don't think Hesson ever became anti Watling because he refused to speak in 'earn the right' cliches or because he lacked team-first hustle. He just really didn't rate him at all as a white ball option.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
Agribusiness has certainly turned its back on the ideological and unquantifiable notion of a soul. There's only one New Zealand cricket figure who would include 'soul' in his writing these days.

They'd probably be a fan of Harold Bloom's assertion that Shakespeare in a way 'invented' human personality, and that it's now time for something new. They see Ross Taylor as being a lot like the nice chap who is killed by Marlo in The Wire because he "wants it to be one way....but it's the other way".

"But Marlow was not typical (if his propensity to spin yarns be excepted), and to him the meaning of an episode was not inside like a kernel but outside, enveloping the tale which brought it out only as a glow brings out a haze, in the likeness of one of those misty halos that sometimes are made visible by the spectral illumination of moonshine".
I've read this five times and I still don't get it. But I really want to.

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
I've read this five times and I still don't get it. But I really want to.
I'll attempt a translation:

Agribusiness has certainly turned its back on the ideological and unquantifiable notion of a soul. There's only one New Zealand cricket figure who would include 'soul' in his writing these days. Having a soul wouldn't fit with what agribusiness is all about, it's not something you can count or hold - and therefore isn't particularly valuable. The NZ cricket figure being referenced here is one MD Crowe.

They'd probably be a fan of Harold Bloom's assertion that Shakespeare in a way 'invented' human personality, and that it's now time for something new. They see Ross Taylor as being a lot like the nice chap who is killed by Marlo in The Wire because he "wants it to be one way....but it's the other way". Kippax goes on to argue that, as human personality is a human concept invented by an author, it's outlived its usefulness to agribusinessmen and also has little-to-no to practical value.

"But Marlow was not typical (if his propensity to spin yarns be excepted), and to him the meaning of an episode was not inside like a kernel but outside, enveloping the tale which brought it out only as a glow brings out a haze, in the likeness of one of those misty halos that sometimes are made visible by the spectral illumination of moonshine". Finally, and most importantly, Kippax argues that perhaps what makes us human (which is what harsh.ag asked about in the first place) isn't something internal and special to us but is, instead, all around us. Although he didn't take the analogy this far, I imagine he'd view this as right in line with the agribusiness tenet that things like 'feel for the game' and 'X-Factor' (internal and unquantifiable concepts) don't really exist.