• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The (Un) Official "Opening batsmen who Dan thinks are better than M Vijay" Thread

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
The (Un) Official "Opening batsmen who Dan thinks are better than M Vijay" Thread

Lol. Love your stubborness in vijay
No you don't dammit you find it infuriating and tedious.
Nah I've witnessed it in person. It's funny

Since there's apparently a love-hate relationship with my love-hate relationship with M Vijay (love-hate insofar as I love to hate him), from now on I'll try to keep it to one thread, and any times where I feel the urge to rant about how absolutely useless M Vijay is will be channelled into creating an updated version of this list.

Positives:
1. Less Dan rants in tour threads about M Vijay.
2. A definitive list of the best current Test openers.

Negatives:
1. See positive #1.

So, without further ado, the first definitive list of the best current Test openers who are better than M Vijay:

In no particular order:

David Warner (Australia)
Alastair Cook (England)
Kraigg Brathwaite (West Indies)
Tom Latham (New Zealand)
Tamim Iqbal (Bangladesh)
Kaushal Silva (Sri Lanka)
Chris Rogers (Australia)
Ed Cowan (Australia)
Jeet Raval (New Zealand)
Tastle (Danana Republic)
Chaminda Vaas (Cribb's copy of Cricket '07)
Spanish_Vicente (Arsenal)
#PowerPapps (Liberland)
Vusi Spudbanda (Zimbabwe) [ok, this one is probably taking the piss a bit too much]

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
David Warner (Australia)
Alastair Cook (England)
Kraigg Brathwaite (West Indies) - can on potential
Tom Latham (New Zealand) - can on potential
Tamim Iqbal (Bangladesh) - can on potential

Not really -

Kaushal Silva (Sri Lanka)
Chris Rogers (Australia)
Ed Cowan (Australia)
Jeet Raval (New Zealand)
Tastle (Danana Republic)
Chaminda Vaas (Cribb's copy of Cricket '07)
Spanish_Vicente (Arsenal)
#PowerPapps (Liberland)
Vusi Spudbanda (Zimbabwe) [ok, this one is probably taking the piss a bit too much]

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Never been a huge Vijay mark. However, he has improved a lot over the past 12 months. He leaves the balls well now. Doesn't excite me as he does some others on here though. He is fine. I like to watch Latham the most among the 3-4 other fine openers out there. Delightful technique and is like a little frog on the pitch.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Is Dan actually Dinesh Karthik?

A) Yes. In which case why does he even care? Deepika Pallikal is a massive upgrade

B) No. But Vijay probably still got his wife pregnant anyway when she saw his coverdrive.

DVMace09

Cricket Spectator
Not against Melville no. Might have given it to you against a full strength Old Boys or v Fraser Tech with the main gun playing. Or even v HBHS with Aldridge-Walker-Devcich operating

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Sorry Albi; it's a no on a technicality.
Brutal. There's no greater test than facing sub-par medium pacers on an artificial pitch imo.

Not against Melville no. Might have given it to you against a full strength Old Boys or v Fraser Tech with the main gun playing. Or even v HBHS with Aldridge-Walker-Devcich operating
baker is love, baker is life

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Beyond the (Male) Test World: The List is Forever

Meg Lanning (Australia)
William Porterfield (Ireland)
Paul Stirling (Ireland)
Ed Joyce (Ireland)
James Franklin (Almost Ireland But Not Quite)
Jeetan Patel (Anywhere But New Zeland)
wellAlbidarned (KNB-on-Astroturf-land)
Fy (Denmark)
Jono (Virat Kohli's Trousers)
Jordan Silk (Boonieland)

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Beyond the (Male) Test World: The List is Forever

Meg Lanning (Australia)
William Porterfield (Ireland)
Paul Stirling (Ireland)
Ed Joyce (Ireland)
James Franklin (Almost Ireland But Not Quite)
Jeetan Patel (Anywhere But New Zeland)
wellAlbidarned (KNB-on-Astroturf-land)
Fy (Denmark)
Jono (Virat Kohli's Trousers)
Jordan Silk (Boonieland)
Pretty sure Fiery lives in London now /pedant