• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Franchises or clubs?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If we are to have a T20 competition, how do you propose it be held?

A couple of suggestions:

1. Basic structure with clubs playing off against each other - home and away - with the top two teams making the final.
2. Franchise structure, with smaller squads - 14 or so each - including players from various teams and a couple of overseas in the mix. With this format we could conceivably have a CW U-19 team (no overseas) as well as 5 other franchises. Each franchise could have 3 overseas players with 2 maximum per game?

There is no poll in this thread, as it's meant for discussion. Please suggest ideas for formats and your opinions surrounding the two proposed thus far.

Majin

International Debutant
Franchise sounds pretty awesome, be a good chance to play with some players from other teams and stuff. Although I guess people will find more prestige for winning it with their given dev league club so I don't know.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Franchise. A smaller version of the IPL I guess with team names related to cities in CWLand. Once squads are decided and captains named, the teams could designate their own nicknames.

cpr

International Coach
Franchise sounds nice and fun for the big name players, playing along side their international teammates, but for fringe players like myself, who arnt eligable for the u19's, rather be a squad player who gets a few games for my dev league team than a squad player watching on the sidelines for some franchise, no interest to follow the competition beyond the games i play in, as success would mean naff all.

Mr Mxyzptlk

The franchises would actually open up more opportunities for players, if you think about it. Smaller squads.

If there are 14 players (with 3 overseas players) in each squad, and only 2 overseas are allowed per XI, that's 11 Webheads competing for 9 places. That's as opposed to 17 or 18 competing for 11 spots.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It'd be good to have it as an IPL franchisey type thing where you have to submit bids for the eligible CW players - with a salary cap imposed etc. etc.

Captains to be chosen based on application

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
If there were like 8 (say) franchises, for a couple week long trophy, this sounds good. Might also be a good way to try out new captains ;).

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, I think is an idea to do something different. Also would allow certain players not interested in T20 to opt out without hurting their traditional Dev league club.

The bidding or draft proccess to be fun.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I like the idea of franchises, perhaps based on Grade cricket teams. Basically a CW version of the IPL (replace Indian domestic players simply with dev league players, and select internationals).

Would be good fun and provide something different, and give some fringe players a chance of more game time.

Question, though: would players be approached to play for a club or apply to which club they play for? Or could there be a draft?

Also, a T20 'carnival' for grade cricket that would be like a CW version of the IPL (in that players from different dev league teams would play alongside each other, against regular team mates and perhaps throw some internationals into the mix) could be a good move.

Mr Mxyzptlk

A draft of some sort, otherwise several club mates may gravitate to one or two teams.

A suggestion...
Captaincy applications could be considered and 6-8 (depending on the number of franchises) would be selected. Then each would be randomly assigned to a franchise. A star (CW XI) player or icon could then be assigned to each franchise. The rest of the players would then be drafted by the CWBCC to allow for a fair spread. A mini-draft would then run for each team to select its overseas players, from a list of available players supplied by the CWBCC.

I think this would be a relatively quick process of finalizing squads, and would not complicate the pre-season planning - contracts etc.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
A draft of some sort, otherwise several club mates may gravitate to one or two teams.

A suggestion...
Captaincy applications could be considered and 6-8 (depending on the number of franchises) would be selected. Then each would be randomly assigned to a franchise. A star (CW XI) player or icon could then be assigned to each franchise. The rest of the players would then be drafted by the CWBCC to allow for a fair spread. A mini-draft would then run for each team to select its overseas players, from a list of available players supplied by the CWBCC.

I think this would be a relatively quick process of finalizing squads, and would not complicate the pre-season planning - contracts etc.
Like this idea.

Simon

Pretty much agree with what has been said, reading it I was all for the still with Dev League teams until Liam raised the point of "11 CW players competing for 9 spots rather than 17 or 18 competing for 11". Will allow everyone to have a chance to get some fair game time.

Agent TBY

International Captain
Franchise for sure.

I'll have a go at Captaincy too. No idea if a rookie like me'll get selected, though.

Last edited: