Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Franchises or clubs?

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar

Franchises or clubs?

If we are to have a T20 competition, how do you propose it be held?

A couple of suggestions:

1. Basic structure with clubs playing off against each other - home and away - with the top two teams making the final.
    2. Franchise structure, with smaller squads - 14 or so each - including players from various teams and a couple of overseas in the mix. With this format we could conceivably have a CW U-19 team (no overseas) as well as 5 other franchises. Each franchise could have 3 overseas players with 2 maximum per game?

There is no poll in this thread, as it's meant for discussion. Please suggest ideas for formats and your opinions surrounding the two proposed thus far.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

TIE Fighter Shooter Champion!
    Franchise sounds pretty awesome, be a good chance to play with some players from other teams and stuff. Although I guess people will find more prestige for winning it with their given dev league club so I don't know.

Cricket Web Content Updater roseboy64's Avatar
    Franchise. A smaller version of the IPL I guess with team names related to cities in CWLand. Once squads are decided and captains named, the teams could designate their own nicknames.
    Sir Alexander Chapman Ferguson = Greatest Ever Manager
    "One from ten leaves zero." - Eric Williams, former T&T PM
    Member of Cricket Web Green
    Member of Northside Power

R.I.P Fardin Qayyumi

cpr
    Franchise sounds nice and fun for the big name players, playing along side their international teammates, but for fringe players like myself, who arnt eligable for the u19's, rather be a squad player who gets a few games for my dev league team than a squad player watching on the sidelines for some franchise, no interest to follow the competition beyond the games i play in, as success would mean naff all.
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

The franchises would actually open up more opportunities for players, if you think about it. Smaller squads.

If there are 14 players (with 3 overseas players) in each squad, and only 2 overseas are allowed per XI, that's 11 Webheads competing for 9 places. That's as opposed to 17 or 18 competing for 11 spots.

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    It'd be good to have it as an IPL franchisey type thing where you have to submit bids for the eligible CW players - with a salary cap imposed etc. etc.

Captains to be chosen based on application
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

If there were like 8 (say) franchises, for a couple week long trophy, this sounds good. Might also be a good way to try out new captains .
    Or something.

RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990 - 15/4/2006

Yeah, I think is an idea to do something different. Also would allow certain players not interested in T20 to opt out without hurting their traditional Dev league club.

The bidding or draft proccess to be fun.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Yep, three people applying for captaincy already.

Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    I like the idea of franchises, perhaps based on Grade cricket teams. Basically a CW version of the IPL (replace Indian domestic players simply with dev league players, and select internationals).

Would be good fun and provide something different, and give some fringe players a chance of more game time.

Question, though: would players be approached to play for a club or apply to which club they play for? Or could there be a draft?

Quote Originally Posted by NZTailender View Post
    Also, a T20 'carnival' for grade cricket that would be like a CW version of the IPL (in that players from different dev league teams would play alongside each other, against regular team mates and perhaps throw some internationals into the mix) could be a good move.
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    The NZTailender Supporting XI:
    H Rutherford, N Broom, Craig Cachopa, M Bracewell, D Brownlie, BJ Watling, D de Boorder+, I Sodhi, B Wheeler, H Bennett, A Milne
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

A draft of some sort, otherwise several club mates may gravitate to one or two teams.

A suggestion...
    Captaincy applications could be considered and 6-8 (depending on the number of franchises) would be selected. Then each would be randomly assigned to a franchise. A star (CW XI) player or icon could then be assigned to each franchise. The rest of the players would then be drafted by the CWBCC to allow for a fair spread. A mini-draft would then run for each team to select its overseas players, from a list of available players supplied by the CWBCC.

I think this would be a relatively quick process of finalizing squads, and would not complicate the pre-season planning - contracts etc.

Cricketer Of The Year SirBloody Idiot's Avatar
    I like the idea of franchises and a draft.

Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk View Post
    A draft of some sort, otherwise several club mates may gravitate to one or two teams.

A suggestion...
    Captaincy applications could be considered and 6-8 (depending on the number of franchises) would be selected. Then each would be randomly assigned to a franchise. A star (CW XI) player or icon could then be assigned to each franchise. The rest of the players would then be drafted by the CWBCC to allow for a fair spread. A mini-draft would then run for each team to select its overseas players, from a list of available players supplied by the CWBCC.

I think this would be a relatively quick process of finalizing squads, and would not complicate the pre-season planning - contracts etc.
    Like this idea.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Simon's Avatar
    Pretty much agree with what has been said, reading it I was all for the still with Dev League teams until Liam raised the point of "11 CW players competing for 9 spots rather than 17 or 18 competing for 11". Will allow everyone to have a chance to get some fair game time.

Who else would want to be a captain? So far it's me, Gough and Gray.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information