• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chatroom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loony BoB

International Captain
Just wondering, is there any major reason you guys don't have a chatroom somewhere on an IRC server?

PY

International Coach
Most people use MSN to communicate person to person.

Plus imagine the carnage that would ensue if people were chatting rather than posting? :wacko:

Also, on a fundamental level, it might reduce the amount of use the forum gets because people will discuss on that rather than posting.

These are only my own thoughts, not those of CW. :)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
PY said:
Most people use MSN to communicate person to person.

Plus imagine the carnage that would ensue if people were chatting rather than posting? :wacko:

Also, on a fundamental level, it might reduce the amount of use the forum gets because people will discuss on that rather than posting.

These are only my own thoughts, not those of CW. :)
And they're mine too.

Get MSN Messenger if you want real-time sledging over Kiwi inadequacies ;)

Loony BoB

International Captain
*shudders* I can't stand MSN, I use IRC, Y!M and AIM, but oh well. I'm more into the group-stuff before going to 1-1, that's all. :) No worries at all, though, I'll use the forums. =)

Langeveldt

Soutie
Loony BoB said:
*shudders* I can't stand MSN, I use IRC, Y!M and AIM, but oh well. I'm more into the group-stuff before going to 1-1, that's all. :) No worries at all, though, I'll use the forums. =)
Just out of interest, whats the problem with MSN??? Ive found it to be pretty flawless for what I want it to do...

Loony BoB

International Captain
Whoop, late reply...

The #1 reason is that I can't stand the layout in chat.

This person says:
this
The other person says:
that

I prefer something more like:

This person: this
The other person: that

I also can't stand the stupidly long names people give themselves. They put entire sentences for names. That's not a name!

PlEaSe DoNt TaLk To Me LiKe ThIs says:
Hi Daniel!
Daniel says:
That is NOT a chatname.

My preference is like in AIM...

DanieLoony: This is a chatname.
Boony LoB: Oh.

I also don't like the smilies and the general layout, although they're more aesthetic reasons. It also doesn't have direct connections like AIM does, and Yahoo! Messenger out-does all the other IM's when it comes to voicechat and webcams. Y!M also has my email, so I get my alerts that way. I haven't changed email since I first got it, so there's no chance of me moving to hotmail (and I do hate hotmail with a passion).

There's also the fact that 99% of the people I know have either Y!M or AIM. ;) My AIM logs file has just over 300 names that I've chatted to on it and I can use multiple names on it, since I have DeadAIM installed (AIM has a lot of hack-programs for it) and Y!M has over 150 names that I've chatted to.

I don't know if you know about mIRC, though... that's like a chatroom system where you can set up chatrooms for a website that are on fulltime and you have control over them. You can log into them via a java applet on a website or through the mIRC program. The program is highly customisable - you can set it to highlight lines that words are said on, blink when certain words are said (I have it set to blink on all of my nicknames, so nobody misses me - and so I can see what they say about me while I'm idling ;)), you can use skins and scripts, it's just... very customisable. You can host chatrooms on existing servers or start up your own, and anyone can start up a temp chatroom just by typing a simple command.

Examples of mIRC - Yay for Google image search.

Example of jIRC (java IRC): http://www.eyesonff.com/chat/

Mind you, that's a really crappy java applet. I really need to tell Cid to get a new applet. =/ Stupid drop-downs... bleh.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Loony BoB said:
Whoop, late reply...

The #1 reason is that I can't stand the layout in chat.

This person says:
this
The other person says:
that

I prefer something more like:

This person: this
The other person: that

I also can't stand the stupidly long names people give themselves. They put entire sentences for names. That's not a name!

PlEaSe DoNt TaLk To Me LiKe ThIs says:
Hi Daniel!
Daniel says:
That is NOT a chatname.

My preference is like in AIM...

DanieLoony: This is a chatname.
Boony LoB: Oh.

I also don't like the smilies and the general layout, although they're more aesthetic reasons. It also doesn't have direct connections like AIM does, and Yahoo! Messenger out-does all the other IM's when it comes to voicechat and webcams. Y!M also has my email, so I get my alerts that way. I haven't changed email since I first got it, so there's no chance of me moving to hotmail (and I do hate hotmail with a passion).

There's also the fact that 99% of the people I know have either Y!M or AIM. ;) My AIM logs file has just over 300 names that I've chatted to on it and I can use multiple names on it, since I have DeadAIM installed (AIM has a lot of hack-programs for it) and Y!M has over 150 names that I've chatted to.

I don't know if you know about mIRC, though... that's like a chatroom system where you can set up chatrooms for a website that are on fulltime and you have control over them. You can log into them via a java applet on a website or through the mIRC program. The program is highly customisable - you can set it to highlight lines that words are said on, blink when certain words are said (I have it set to blink on all of my nicknames, so nobody misses me - and so I can see what they say about me while I'm idling ;)), you can use skins and scripts, it's just... very customisable. You can host chatrooms on existing servers or start up your own, and anyone can start up a temp chatroom just by typing a simple command.

Examples of mIRC - Yay for Google image search.

Example of jIRC (java IRC): http://www.eyesonff.com/chat/

Mind you, that's a really crappy java applet. I really need to tell Cid to get a new applet. =/ Stupid drop-downs... bleh.
Interesting.. have to agree with you on the layout.. Although Im a culprit when it comes to long names :(

Ive got 101 MSN contacts, and know nobody who has ever used AIM or Yahoo or ICQ...

PY

International Coach
Langeveldt said:
Interesting.. have to agree with you on the layout.. Although Im a culprit when it comes to long names :(

Ive got 101 MSN contacts, and know nobody who has ever used AIM or Yahoo or ICQ...
Ditto for me.

I've 89 MSN and none on the others.

Loony BoB

International Captain
Only because you don't use them and you're clearly in a confined community here at CW, I guess. Over at EoFF, the first forums I joined, there's a large international community - over 10,000 members, and most of them are from America, UK, Canada, Australia, NZ, Netherlands, Scandinavia, Germany... the odd European, Israeli, Asian and a few Brazillians amongst us, too - and those are just the ones I recognise by name (I'll be modest and not say how well known I am there :p)! But yeah, when you get into the international community, you start to get to know all the people with AIM and Y!M. ICQ is a thing of the past, really... so I don't really know many people who use it, and I don't have anyone on my Trillian listing. The general trend for the world tends to be...

UK, NZ, Aussie: MSN, Y!M, AIM
People new to computers: MSN (since it's pre-installed).
US, Canada: AIM, Y!M

We actually made a huge thread on it and analysed the different systems to death. AIM won, Y!M came second, MSN third and ICQ didn't really get anywhere. :p mIRC got higher than that, and mIRC is made primarily for chatrooms, not buddy lists. It doesn't even have a buddy list option. ICQ is bloated.

AIM's direct connections are what won it... the ability to just click a button and connect directly to another user and then be able to send sounds and images in the middle of your chat sessions is very nifty, as it saves having to upload them or them having to save the file (although if you have DeadAIM, the file will save automatically if you log your chats). Y!M's webcam quality won it second place, along with it's status messages, invisible mode, offline messages and high quality voice chat (1-1 and voice conferencing). AIM won both best and worst smilies - the best for the small ones, the worst for the large ones. I actually like Y!M's smilies the best, as they capture emotions that other IM's don't, such as the lovely drooling smilie. :p

cpr

International Coach
Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiggg

Was just thinking about this purely because i reinstalled mIRC last night whilst on CW (been using IRC for about 10 years or so, so like to log back on and keep in touch with a fair few people).

Quite a few people use msn between themselves on here, sometimes the best bits get posted up, so the idea of taking the idle chatter off the forums isnt new.

I'm with loony Bob in that i hate MSN and its layout (never open it, refuse to use it so much), plus dont like the clutter of a million contacts. Personally like to log on, let anyone come and go as they please, and say what they want.

Do you reckon they'd be much support for a cricketweb irc channel? Personally would like it meself.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiggg

Was just thinking about this purely because i reinstalled mIRC last night whilst on CW (been using IRC for about 10 years or so, so like to log back on and keep in touch with a fair few people).

Quite a few people use msn between themselves on here, sometimes the best bits get posted up, so the idea of taking the idle chatter off the forums isnt new.

I'm with loony Bob in that i hate MSN and its layout (never open it, refuse to use it so much), plus dont like the clutter of a million contacts. Personally like to log on, let anyone come and go as they please, and say what they want.

Do you reckon they'd be much support for a cricketweb irc channel? Personally would like it meself.
What is mIRC?

:laugh: at the avatar BTW.

cpr

International Coach
IRC is just a multiplayer notepad.
Isnt that not very much different to MSN though?

Thought i'd just moot the point a bit really, as i'm not a fan of MSN. Find that everyone tries to have a conversation with you at once, which overawes me, and because its just two people, it goes stale and doesnt have the free flow and banter of multiple people chipping in, which IRC does.

Like I said, just an idea that popped into my head (actually because i thought a CW room would make me log on more often, rather than every couple of weeks to catch up with the old faces)

Status
Not open for further replies.