• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Clean-up of forum

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
I think the Football issue can be solved by multiple threads, rather than a separate subbie per se. Then again, I have little skin in the game there so aren't exactly best-placed to comment.
we've split off Australian football, surely that's enough.

I kinda like that the thread is a bit of a mess from many leagues. Gives perspectives you might not think of - and as I mainly browse from my user cp, new threads about separate substories are less likely to catch my attention.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, if there was a conference thread I'd be posting on my own but my posts about the conference sometimes get replies

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah agree. Could say that about a lot of the threads in OT from my perspective tbh. Still don't really see how cluttering up the forum with pointless subbies that have about 5 threads in is "Cleaning up" up the forum.

D

Deleted member 34141

Well it is more the new look Cricket Web and making it more logical in the sense that certain threads belong under the right subject heading. A merger of Cricket Web Announcements & Site Discussion would be the subject folder where announcements, discourse would take place, as there really more site focused in their subject value.

This would then hopefully allow a new subject folder where Fantasy Cricket would be separated from Cricket Discussion, as the plan is too address FC in making it more commercial viable/visible, in the hopes of offering better prizes as a result.

So after some lengthy discussions, James felt it was best to get some feedback from members and how they really felt about it. Plus it is also in preparation for the changeover to Xen Foro. We are currently looking into the right and best build for CW, we also want the best one.
It was more the thinking behind these decisions Sledger, hope this explains it better for you :)

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Well it is more the new look Cricket Web and making it more logical in the sense that certain threads belong under the right subject heading. A merger of Cricket Web Announcements & Site Discussion would be the subject folder where announcements, discourse would take place, as there really more site focused in their subject value.

This would then hopefully allow a new subject folder where Fantasy Cricket would be separated from Cricket Discussion, as the plan is too address FC in making it more commercial viable/visible, in the hopes of offering better prizes as a result.

So after some lengthy discussions, James felt it was best to get some feedback from members and how they really felt about it. Plus it is also in preparation for the changeover to Xen Foro. We are currently looking into the right and best build for CW, we also want the best one.
It was more the thinking behind these decisions Sledger, hope this explains it better for you :)

I think all the new restructuring that has happened is fine and putting the CW Announcements into Site Discussion works as well. I think the Entertainment subforum would still be a good one within OT, at least for Movies and TV seeing how the mega threads are going there. And that way rest of OT will be just for extremely casual time pass type discussions more than any serious debate.

cnerd123

likes this

To help you out in the future, the appropriate response to a Sledger post is usually "**** off ****"

Will save you a lot of time and effort

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Can we make a sub-forum for jaded football fans who follow rich successful clubs but draw very little joy from watching them? Feel like there's an audience there.

Last edited:

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Is there a reason that "Cricket Web Downtime" and the "Testing Forum" are located within Site Discussion?

It has always seemed weird to me that you have to click through twice to get to the testing forum for example...........none of the other forum categories are like this.

Edit:

Maybe just have Cricket Web Downtime as a stickied thread in Site discussion and move the testing forum, maybe with a rename to something more appropriate for what it has become (no idea what) to "Other" Alternatively have the testing forum as it's own identity in Ask Cricket Web rather than a sub forum of Site discussion.

Last edited:

James

Cricket Web Owner
I think all the new restructuring that has happened is fine and putting the CW Announcements into Site Discussion works as well. I think the Entertainment subforum would still be a good one within OT, at least for Movies and TV seeing how the mega threads are going there. And that way rest of OT will be just for extremely casual time pass type discussions more than any serious debate.
An interesting thought. If you get some support with this idea, happy to do it.

Is there a reason that "Cricket Web Downtime" and the "Testing Forum" are located within Site Discussion?
It just happened this way really as when the Cricket Web Downtime forum was created, we were experiencing a lot of downtime when we were in Shared hosting. Since we've moved up to VPS and then Dedicated the site has been a lot more stable. As you say, probably not necessary for it to exist in its own forum now.

I suggested renaming the Testing Forum to something else but the reaction to that was NO WAY. As the testing forum is a little bit odd, I think it's better suited as a sub-forum but again happy for people to disagree and move it out into its own stand alone category.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
See, I can only speak for myself but every time I visit a new forum, I just find it is so much easier to navigate and find the stuff you are interested in when the right subforums and structures are in place. It is a bit off putting when because of all this even the first page of the forum becomes life less but then again, it is upto CW and James to think how they want to go forward - Ensure forum is structured in a way that pleases current members or look to structure it in a way that will make it easier for newcomers to navigate. I only brought up the sub forum classification coz with the New Posts feature, the current members can always remain caught up with the forum and threads wherever they may happen, but that is not how it is for any new person signing up.

Shri

Mr. Glass

When you clean a cupboard, you re-organize things, not build more partitions into the cupboard. It will look nice for a day or two and then go back to looking messy again quickly. Or the new partitions will always be empty while you try and stuff everything into the part that is easiest for you to reach. :p

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
When you clean a cupboard, you re-organize things, not build more partitions into the cupboard. It will look nice for a day or two and then go back to looking messy again quickly. Or the new partitions will always be empty while you try and stuff everything into the part that is easiest for you to reach. :p
Or you leave it all on the desk/floor like I do....

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
After browsing for the last few days, I have come to the conclusion that it's quite cumbersome to switch between Off Topic and the Political Forum. One more place to click. Given that the political forum has just 4-5 threads, it is fine in the Off Topic section only imo. Having less forums works towards the aim of less cluttering and more cohesion in the forums.