• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Clean-up of forum

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The only issue I ever have with clutter is when sometimes you're looking for a thread, can't find it using the search function or google, and you have to scroll through like 4 pages of CC to find it.

It's hardly a problem though and I use new posts the rest of the time so not really bothered either way.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Also if we have the cricket games forum as one forum (probably should) we can make that a part of cricket discussion

Cricket discussion
-Cricket chat
-Coaching & equipment
-Cricket games & simulations

It's a bit weird for example that the ICC sim that's going on is in a different forum from Gazza's DBC let's play
Out of interest Howe, what makes you think the coaching and equipment forum is still necessary?

And yes good point regarding games.

James

Cricket Web Owner
I don't think OT needs fragmenting either. Can't remember the last time I've missed something because there were so many new threads.
Do you think it would encourage more discussion in those categories if they were split out?

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Agree with Howe

I don't think OT needs fragmenting either. Can't remember the last time I've missed something because there were so many new threads.
How would you know you missed it if you did, you know, miss it

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Do you think it would encourage more discussion in those categories if they were split out?
It's a tough one.

Sometimes, I suppose so. I suppose people were against the GSF first but there's no doubt it broadened the discussion of sports beyond cricket.

I'd go no further than four though. Base OT, current affairs/politics, entertainment (music, films, tv, gaming), and the GSF

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I thought it was worth getting some member feedback on the sub forums we have and whether there was any suggestions or feedback people had on new sub forums that could be created/different ordering/removal, etc

Cricket Discussion
  • Cricket Chat
  • Coaching and Equipment Forum
Cricket Web Products
  • Fantasy Cricket
  • Cricket Web CW Games
Games
  • General
    • Battrick
    • From the Pavilion
Ask Cricket Web
  • Site Discussion
    • Cricket Web Downtime
    • Testing Forum
Other
  • Off Topic
  • General Sports Forum
For me:

Cricket Discussion
  • Cricket Chat
  • Cricket Games & Simulations

CW Fantasy Cricket 2017

Other
  • Off Topic
  • Other Sports

Ask Cricket Web
  • Site Discussion
    • Cricket Web Downtime
    • Testing Forum

Howe_zat

Audio File
Out of interest Howe, what makes you think the coaching and equipment forum is still necessary?

And yes good point regarding games.
In coaching/equipment it's a different, more of a ask/advice format compared to cricket chat. People will want to post their own thread if they want to sign up to talk about it as each user should have their own thread. That way if people want to help they can easily see who they are and what kind of progress or changes are made. If coaching/equipment were in CC then it'd just have one megathread which new users would find confusing and less helpful, in particular it'd bar more than one person asking for help at the same time.

I think in general when you consider a forum layout it should be considered from the pov of a new user. Those who've been here for years will be fine whatever.

At the moment where people post threads in the wrong areas are the games/cw games subs, so that's the only thing I'd change.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I would prefer a sub forum for football and a separate thread for each competition rather than one thread that takes in everything that happens in the Universe. But then again I do sometimes go several months at a time without reading the forum so I doubt that the real diehard regulars would agree as the current way seems to be popular.

James

Cricket Web Owner
It's a tough one.

Sometimes, I suppose so. I suppose people were against the GSF first but there's no doubt it broadened the discussion of sports beyond cricket.

I'd go no further than four though. Base OT, current affairs/politics, entertainment (music, films, tv, gaming), and the GSF
That's a good point regarding GSF, I remember the dissatisfaction at the time when we introduced that. Turned out to be a big benefit though.

Sound pretty sensible with those four. What does everyone else think?

For me:

Cricket Discussion
  • Cricket Chat
  • Cricket Games & Simulations

CW Fantasy Cricket 2017

Other
  • Off Topic
  • Other Sports

Ask Cricket Web
  • Site Discussion
    • Cricket Web Downtime
    • Testing Forum
Looks pretty straight forward although I see you don't agree with splitting out the OT forum. Why is that? I'm also wondering about moving the Cricket Web Downtime threads into Site Discussion.

In coaching/equipment it's a different, more of a ask/advice format compared to cricket chat. People will want to post their own thread if they want to sign up to talk about it as each user should have their own thread. That way if people want to help they can easily see who they are and what kind of progress or changes are made. If coaching/equipment were in CC then it'd just have one megathread which new users would find confusing and less helpful, in particular it'd bar more than one person asking for help at the same time.

I think in general when you consider a forum layout it should be considered from the pov of a new user. Those who've been here for years will be fine whatever.

At the moment where people post threads in the wrong areas are the games/cw games subs, so that's the only thing I'd change.
That's a very fair point Howe, and makes logical sense.

I suppose the question comes with your reasoning though in whether the Coaching forum is active enough to be kept and whether or not it just clogs space in the forum listing?

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That's a good point regarding GSF, I remember the dissatisfaction at the time when we introduced that. Turned out to be a big benefit though.

Sound pretty sensible with those four. What does everyone else think?

Looks pretty straight forward although I see you don't agree with splitting out the OT forum. Why is that? I'm also wondering about moving the Cricket Web Downtime threads into Site Discussion.

That's a very fair point Howe, and makes logical sense.

I suppose the question comes with your reasoning though in whether the Coaching forum is active enough to be kept and whether or not it just clogs space in the forum listing?
I'm okay with splitting OT into OT and Entertainment (TV/Movies/Music). But splitting away Politics and News is sort of like creating a quarantined zone, and I don't know if that is healthy.

Howe makes a good point wrt newbies and the coaching&equipment subbie. But I am wondering why that can't be replaced with a thread stickied in CC.

Moving Cricket Web Downtime threads into Site Discussion - Sure.

Also agreed with Football being given more of a space with its own subbie.

So, something like:

Cricket Discussion
- Cricket Chat
- Cricket Games & Simulations

CW Fantasy Cricket 2017

Other
- Off Topic
- Entertainment (Movies/TV Shows/Music)
- Football
- Other Sports

Ask Cricket Web
- Site Discussion
- Testing Forum

Last edited:

James

Cricket Web Owner
I'm okay with splitting OT into OT and Entertainment (TV/Movies/Music). But splitting away Politics and News is sort of like creating a quarantined zone, and I don't know if that is healthy.

Howe makes a good point wrt newbies and the coaching&equipment subbie. But I am wondering why that can't be replaced with a thread stickied in CC.

Moving Cricket Web Downtime threads into Site Discussion - Sure.

Also agreed with Football being given more of a space with its own subbie.

So, something like:

Cricket Discussion
- Cricket Chat
- Cricket Games & Simulations

CW Fantasy Cricket 2017

Other
- Off Topic
- Entertainment (Movies/TV Shows/Music)
- Football
- Other Sports

Ask Cricket Web
- Site Discussion
- Testing Forum
More great points, thanks Harsh.

I'm happy to go with whatever the community would like to have happen really.

Another topic is the Testing Forum. Should that come out into its own forum and be called something else?

cnerd123

likes this
'Testing Forum' is a terrible name for what it actually ends up being used for, but I don't think it would feel right if it had any other name tbh

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
For me, if we fragment OT further then news/politics should get its own place. Take out the entertainment stuff and you have this strange hybrid of light-hearted threads and deadly serious ones.

Also in the two hours since I objected to further splitting out OT I've come round, and I feel like given the direction the British and American politics threads often go in, separate ideological discussion threads would be a good thing. But it'd be too much in the current structure.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Whatever you do, make sure Harsh is properly briefed beforehand so he doesn't go breaking things...