• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Question on ban announcements

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
I would have thought Watson would have been the easiest one of those named to drop the axe on tbh. 100% zero tolerance policy to racism no matter how veiled it may be presented. If his political views were racist then **** off.....those views aren't welcome here.
Remember Smali's 'dark horse' joke from like 2014 that divided the whole forum? There is certainly a spectrum of racism and what people find appropriate and it isn't always black and white, not commenting on watson's case (which was far more clear cut to those who read his posts) but just a general comment on the difficulty of identifying these cases at times.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah but Adders is specifically referring to overt cases of awful like Miyagi and Watson (wasn't around but there's a consensus here)

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah but Adders is specifically referring to overt cases of awful like Miyagi and Watson (wasn't around but there's a consensus here)
What is a little concerning is that he's essentially advocating that hitting the button too early and just getting rid of people before they can do too much damage is better than having them hang around a little too long due to conservative moderating. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, and what was perhaps not clear to everyone at one point becomes so later on reflection, I'm not all that comfortable with this shoot first ask questions later approach that is being advocated, there have been some examples of posters who have started out a bit edgy and rubbed people the wrong way before finding good form later.

I still agree that there has been some unfortunate timidity on behalf of the moderators concerning some recent posters though

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Watson's obvious racism came after he'd been here years anyway, didn't it?

I get what Maximas is saying in reference to people who appear to be trolls for example. Many an initially abrasive member finds their place here.

But watson doesn't fit into that.

& the thing is as much as everyone says the politics subbie is this and that, nobody stood with watson on anything. He just stank the joint out.

Bijed

International Regular
I know I've already said recently that we need to give new posters more of a chance even if they start badly and I stand by this in the case of more generically bad posters, but there are certain red lines which shouldn't be crossed imo and racism is definitely one of them. I'd still say give them the chance to explain a one-off incident to the moderators, but no problems with pulling the trigger at the hint of a pattern developing.

And with Miyagi, for example, I wouldn't have objected to him getting banned sooner - the sheer volume of dire posts he started churning out pretty much as soon as he appeared told you everything you needed to know

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Which posters started off racist and then came good?
None to my knowledge, but I'm also responding to the overall discussion which began on this issue...

So in my humble opinion, spintolose is your classic example of a poster who is not worth ****ing around with the "process"

He'll come back after a week, stink the joint up some more and cop a slightly longer ban......rinse and repeat for the next god knows how long.

Just save us all the hassle and dish out the perma straight away. No it's not fair.......but is it the best action for the site? Yes imo.
My first post was just pointing out that racism isn't always black and white, the incident with Smali (can't remember where the thread is sorry) is perhaps most interesting because you had a portion of the forum arguing that it was offensive and that sort of language had no place here, meanwhile another faction (led by yours truly Adders - whose opinion may have since changed) was adamant that nothing was wrong, just struck me how there was such disparity between where people placed this event on the 'spectrum' of racism I mentioned before, which I suppose ties into my broader point of judging too quickly.

But this is more of a cautionary post, not a reaction to recent events with watson and others whom i have no sympathy for

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Watson's obvious racism came after he'd been here years anyway, didn't it?
His latent racism was obvious to me after I registered and noticed his weird fetish for 1800s cricketers. He only started ramping it up when alt-right became a thing.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
None to my knowledge, but I'm also responding to the overall discussion which began on this issue...

My first post was just pointing out that racism isn't always black and white, the incident with Smali (can't remember where the thread is sorry) is perhaps most interesting because you had a portion of the forum arguing that it was offensive and that sort of language had no place here, meanwhile another faction (led by yours truly Adders - whose opinion may have since changed) was adamant that nothing was wrong, just struck me how there was such disparity between where people placed this event on the 'spectrum' of racism I mentioned before, which I suppose ties into my broader point of judging too quickly.

But this is more of a cautionary post, not a reaction to recent events with watson and others whom i have no sympathy for
Should have just banned smali as well tbh

Spark

Global Moderator
I’d always been on the lookout, but mostly because there’s long been an overlap between that particular brand of NIMBY “progressive” politics (such as it was) and out-and-out white nationalism. By no means a 1-to-1 correspondence, but enough of a flow for me to not be surprised at his turn.

I don’t think anyone cared about him at first, and whilst he was certainly annoying when it came to religious debates in particular even his politics wasn’t actually notable on its own. But once nationalism really began to take off in Europe and started re-entering the mainstream, he very clearly got sucked into that general orbit and just sank deeper and deeper into it.

Some of the Youtube videos he posted; I really don’t want to know how he even found those channels. Some of them were seriously, seriously nasty.

andmark

International Captain
I remember reading through the part of the British Politics thread during the Brexit referendum. IIRC, there was a point where the thread's posts were interesting, not dire, etc. Then I think Watson posted and stunk up the joint. Shame really given the level of political understanding that thread usually gets.

Shri

Mr. Glass
I’d always been on the lookout, but mostly because there’s long been an overlap between that particular brand of NIMBY “progressive” politics (such as it was) and out-and-out white nationalism. By no means a 1-to-1 correspondence, but enough of a flow for me to not be surprised at his turn.

I don’t think anyone cared about him at first, and whilst he was certainly annoying when it came to religious debates in particular even his politics wasn’t actually notable on its own. But once nationalism really began to take off in Europe and started re-entering the mainstream, he very clearly got sucked into that general orbit and just sank deeper and deeper into it.

Some of the Youtube videos he posted; I really don’t want to know how he even found those channels. Some of them were seriously, seriously nasty.
youtube recommended videos rabbit hole probably

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year

I remember all of this very well and the Smali "joke" prompted me to start this thread.........a thread that did go a long way towards opening my eyes to the more indirect (if that's the right word?) forms of racist comments. So yeah, it's probably fair to say that my opinions have changed somewhat since that time.

the big bambino

International Captain
You either believe in a process that applies to anyone or have whackos poised to press the nuclear button because someone else likes 1800 era cricketers. It’s staggering that people can’t see how something that arbitrary can be abused. It’s true CW isn’t a court but like any club it has to have rules. Like any meeting does. So preferring, or not, a process over some kind of jerk acting like a potentate and imposing his prejudices reveals what sort of character you are. You either believe in fairness for all or noisily bang on, like some kind of moralising ****, about how others should be excluded.

Last edited: