• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Question on ban announcements

Flem274*

123/5
No it doesn't.

It makes it take longer to ban them, it makes them worse posters while unbanned, it makes the forum atmosphere worse, and it leads to good posters getting banned in the process. And no one comes here to read the 18-page ****fight that results.

And look, posting particularly selfishly here, if I've got fifteen minutes to read the forum each day it'd be nice to spend them participating in good discussion rather than exclusively reading post reports, multi-page ****fights and the Question on Ban Announcements thread because we're in the midst of yet another one of those 'righteous campaigns'.
this isn't how it goes though. blocky, tnt, ikki - they're not here for good discussion, they're here to post their terrible opinions as obnoxiously as possible. i know that's the gag of half the regular forum, but we don't have the natural talent in that area to compare with the three i've mentioned.

my following paragraph(s) is what cw moderators, including myself, consistently don't quite get. i believe the distance is caused by both how james approaches moderation filtering through to the others and the tendency of the empathetic to mount a defence for an ostracized person.

when someone is here to be a knob, you can't engage them in good faith unless you have the energy to be a saint like jono, and i don't have that energy tbh and i don't see why i should. im not here to read pages on end of blocky diagnosing martin guptill with various forms of mental illness and calling his wife a hoe, and i don't think the moderators should be surprised the good people of cw pick up on these posts and debate them with varying degrees of open desire to kill the fat liar.

if the mods don't ban them then the proletariat will prepare their pitchforks. this is how it has always worked and how it always will work. it would be nice if everyone scrolled past "martin guptill clearly has anxiety and depression and ptsd from his wife being such a whore, drop him" then "everyone who thinks black people are human is just a triggered snowflake with trump derangement syndrome" but that is not, and morally should not, happen. it would be nice if people provided calm, measured rebuttals to these but that will never ever happen and come on, who cares, some people need the guillotine mate.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
If/when he gets unbanned please could we have a breakdown of the criteria that need to be satisfied in order to get a ban revoked? Hugely important information for me personally.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
this isn't how it goes though. blocky, tnt, ikki - they're not here for good discussion, they're here to post their terrible opinions as obnoxiously as possible. i know that's the gag of half the regular forum, but we don't have the natural talent in that area to compare with the three i've mentioned.

my following paragraph(s) is what cw moderators, including myself, consistently don't quite get. i believe the distance is caused by both how james approaches moderation filtering through to the others and the tendency of the empathetic to mount a defence for an ostracized person.

when someone is here to be a knob, you can't engage them in good faith unless you have the energy to be a saint like jono, and i don't have that energy tbh and i don't see why i should. im not here to read pages on end of blocky diagnosing martin guptill with various forms of mental illness and calling his wife a hoe, and i don't think the moderators should be surprised the good people of cw pick up on these posts and debate them with varying degrees of open desire to kill the fat liar.

if the mods don't ban them then the proletariat will prepare their pitchforks. this is how it has always worked and how it always will work. it would be nice if everyone scrolled past "martin guptill clearly has anxiety and depression and ptsd from his wife being such a whore, drop him" then "everyone who thinks black people are human is just a triggered snowflake with trump derangement syndrome" but that is not, and morally should not, happen. it would be nice if people provided calm, measured rebuttals to these but that will never ever happen and come on, who cares, some people need the guillotine mate.
Remember when people were getting banned or infracted for calling watson a ****? Great times for the forum.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Resign.

No really, why not?

Pros
- Get to take a load off
- Get more time to post as you wish, where you wish with your limited 15 minutes.
- Will use your limited time better, and get more out of it
- No more having to meet the demands of your role
- Get to block people
- Get to avoid threads of your own volition
- Get to stop pretending you find Manuel F. offensive
- Have more fun

Cons
- No more power
Con:
- GIMH would win

Dan

Hall of Fame Member

Yeah look, I'm not going to speak for the other mods, but I'm not going to shy away from the fact that the watson and Blocky situations - in particular - were allowed to go on for far too long and I was a part of the problem and I'll own that. We screwed up. And I'm particularly sorry for the losses of some of the ATG CW posters as a result. I genuinely do think lessons have been learned from that.

Over-the-top earnestness about ****ing forum moderation aside, I don't think the alternative is some fine people on both sides, just another point of view "marketplace of ideas" or anything (nor should that be the alternative, **** that ****). Not asking people to scroll past, just asking people not to engage in those all-encompassing campaigns where someone pretends to be the forum attack-dog to 'take one for the team' and only prolongs the pain for everyone and makes CW awful in the process.

Flem274*

123/5
Yeah look, I'm not going to speak for the other mods, but I'm not going to shy away from the fact that the watson and Blocky situations - in particular - were allowed to go on for far too long and I was a part of the problem and I'll own that. We screwed up. And I'm particularly sorry for the losses of some of the ATG CW posters as a result. I genuinely do think lessons have been learned from that.

Over-the-top earnestness about ****ing forum moderation aside, I don't think the alternative is some fine people on both sides, just another point of view "marketplace of ideas" or anything (nor should that be the alternative, **** that ****). Not asking people to scroll past, just asking people not to engage in those all-encompassing campaigns where someone pretends to be the forum attack-dog to 'take one for the team' and only prolongs the pain for everyone and makes CW awful in the process.
i agree with this.

will only add shri has a lot to learn of the subtleties of removing the inferior. he attacks when he should lure the subhumans to the noose.

Shady Slim

International Coach
and in the far reaches of western australia a deranged boomer casts his mind to how the cricket forum he used to post on is coping

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i agree with this.

will only add shri has a lot to learn of the subtleties of removing the inferior. he attacks when he should lure the subhumans to the noose.
Yeah, it's a gift. And you need years of training to make it work too.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente

can you get rid of D/L please?