• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Question on ban announcements

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
My irons are as straight as an arrow, but I can't hit a wood off the tee to save myself. I could shoot under 90 if I could - instead, my best round is 103. I shot 37 on a ****** public 9-holer in Welington once but that didn't have any par 5s, so it'd be more like a 85-90.
Persist with the woods mate. Seriously, as someone said to me years ago when I was eschewing the driver off the tee - "You're a chopper. If you're going to be in the ****, you may as well be in it 50 metres closer to the hole ffs." Worth persisting with imo

Burgey

I'll have you know I hit that same course 2 years ago for the first time in ages and my swing has gotten significantly worse. Thanks for your advice Burge but I think I need to start from scratch.

Somehow had gotten much better with the irons though.
Get to a driving range when everything reopens/ yu get your life back after children - whichever is first - and seriously work on hip rotation. Will make a huge difference.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Persist with the woods mate. Seriously, as someone said to me years ago when I was eschewing the driver off the tee - "You're a chopper. If you're going to be in the ****, you may as well be in it 50 metres closer to the hole ffs." Worth persisting with imo
Once this is all over, I'll probably get some lessons. I can't get the ball off the ground with the driver. The makings of an OK golfer are there though.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah I'm gonna lay it out straight here.

When he first copped the really long ban, before anyone had even complained about it, my instinct was to revist it after the length of the initial ban (three months) and have a chat to him then, thinking we'd probably agree to cut it short. Based on the massive public backlash asking us to deal with it sooner I floated the idea of talking to Shri at the time to formalise the idea that we'd let him back after roughly three months, but the combination of his email and his CricSim post made me think that actually trying to talk to him at that time wouldn't have actually got us that result. It was too hot - he was angry, the mods were stubborn at least about the initial ban, and I reckon talking to him then to negotiate a shorter ban would've just resulted in some abuse and no reduction. We decided to put it off until after three months after all, mainly because we thought we had a better shot at getting a result most people didn't hate if we let things simmer down more. Plus, after three months out we'd miss him more and he'd miss the forum more.

The date we're working on in May 27, which I think Dan worked out as three months (the initial ban) and an extra week (for the multi), excluding the time he used the multi. We might have formalised this earlier if I thought discussions were going to go well, but we didn't think that. I think putting them off for a bit has probably increased the chances of it going well.

It's not just a matter of us saying "okay we're gonna reduce your ban" and him saying "ok cool". If we're going to reduce his ban on account on it being harsh for a productive member of the forum and well-liked member of the community -- which we're on board with -- we need him to actually be a productive member of the forum and accept that he needs to change his behaviour slightly in terms of how he deals with unpopular members. If we wants to play the "did my time, it was worth it, not gonna change" game, he can do the actual time. If he wants us to reduce it he needs to accept that we don't think being a forum clique attack dog is a public service and that he needs to can it. He also needs to accept that he's gonna be on a lot of infraction points when he comes back, so if he so much as gets a five pointer he'll trigger another really long ban.

We're working on an email to send out to him today with some terms that we think are reasonable (he basically needs to accept that he'll be on a lot of points, agree to to stop baiting ****s he doesn't like, and try not to start a revolution in this thread when he gets back). We'll let him back in on May 27 if he agrees to them, but if he tells us to **** off he'll be back in six months. I don't think that's a hard thing to agree to, but maybe it is for him.
This is totally fair and reasonable IMO. Thanks for the update.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
has to be done. no one comes here to read blocky or tnt in their spare time.
No it doesn't.

It makes it take longer to ban them, it makes them worse posters while unbanned, it makes the forum atmosphere worse, and it leads to good posters getting banned in the process. And no one comes here to read the 18-page ****fight that results.

And look, posting particularly selfishly here, if I've got fifteen minutes to read the forum each day it'd be nice to spend them participating in good discussion rather than exclusively reading post reports, multi-page ****fights and the Question on Ban Announcements thread because we're in the midst of yet another one of those 'righteous campaigns'.

trundler

Aw, man. I'm totally gonna miss out on this off-site love, partly because my name is impossible to trace and partly because of my repulsive posting. :mellow:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I really did mean it when I said the heir of Ikki had appeared in that thread. Pretending for days on end that the evidence of our own eyes and ears was wrong, that the nakedly obviously true was actually false, and 2+2=5 was the sort of relentless troll-gaslighting that really should have gotten Ikki formally booted off the forum IMO (though, I hasten to add, strictly IMO, not the opinion of the mod team etc etc).

GAS dng a *****....

Burgey

No it doesn't.

It makes it take longer to ban them, it makes them worse posters while unbanned, it makes the forum atmosphere worse, and it leads to good posters getting banned in the process. And no one comes here to read the 18-page ****fight that results.

And look, posting particularly selfishly here, if I've got fifteen minutes to read the forum each day it'd be nice to spend them participating in good discussion rather than exclusively reading post reports, multi-page ****fights and the Question on Ban Announcements thread because we're in the midst of yet another one of those 'righteous campaigns'.
This isn't about you, Dan.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
It reads like if he pretends to be sorry and pretends he'll change he'll be back on May 27th. If he doesn't he'll be back in 6 months anyway. Just take the 6 months and find something else to do.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
No it doesn't.

Resign as per my demands and then your problem is solved

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Resign.

No really, why not?

Pros
- Get to take a load off
- Get more time to post as you wish, where you wish with your limited 15 minutes.
- Will use your limited time better, and get more out of it
- No more having to meet the demands of your role
- Get to block people
- Get to avoid threads of your own volition
- Get to stop pretending you find Manuel F. offensive
- Have more fun

Cons
- No more power

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Resign.

No really, why not?

Pros
- Get to take a load off
- Get more time to post as you wish, where you wish with your limited 15 minutes.
- Will use your limited time better, and get more out of it
- No more having to meet the demands of your role
- Get to block people
- Get to avoid threads of your own volition
- Get to stop pretending you find Manuel F. offensive
- Have more fun

Cons
- No more power
Can you present similar cases to Spark and Teja. please

& then help me get Fusion sacked